2018 Vegas to Reno GPS files – Google Earth Support?

Mike321

Reaction
I normally use Google Earth to edit gps files and use Garmin’s gpx format. This workflow has worked for years, but I’ve tried two Windows-based laptops and a Mac -- Google Earth crashes every time I open the file for the 2018 race (regardless of platform).

My end goal is to lower the fidelity of the race course and just plot the race course for every X miles for chase team tablets.

Is anyone else running into the same issue? Is there a better editing option?

Thanks,
Mike

RacingtraxGeek

Reaction
Pass it through Gpsvisualizer.com. There's a track smoothing feature that reduces the overall size of the track. Also plot a waypoint every X distance.

cynicwanderer

Reaction
I use CalTopo.com, it loads the V2R GPX files just fine and you can edit/delete danger/mile markers and how the waypoints are presented on the map. you can share/print your customized maps. it's free for basic functionality a subscription allow more functionality. also, independent of OS, since it's a web based service.

PaulW

Reaction
For easy quick editing--
For many years I have been using Trackmaker on my PC. It has edit features to remove stuff you do not like and can add
WPs. It is free , but has a way to basic map, (use GE for maps). For the intended purpose of editing and changing formats it works flawlessly. Be aware it has not been updated for Lowrance Gen3 formats and will choke if attempted. You might like to know that many of the GPS tracks in GPX and USR formats used by Old SCORE were the result on my editing.