2019 Mint 400 Wishlist

Baja Dad

Reaction
Mint 400 is OVER RATED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Great race but NOT the best !!!!
Any race in Mexico is better
Vegas to Reno is better

Zac Reish

Reaction
I agree with Andy.
Except for the limitleds on Friday for a ton of reasons.
Quarry totally sucks.
I hate driving back and forth to Vegas.
Drivers meetings for every racer other than a newb is the biggest eye rolling Experience of every race. I’m sick of hearing everyone kiss the blms ass for getting paid over time to show up. Get to the point and save all the shock and awe for the mint tv show. It could have been 45 minutes shorter easily.
Love the idea of drivers meeting during the day.
As a class 5 racer I agree if you can’t get at least 15 guys to show up you shouldn’t get to play. Racing 4-7 cars is lame. On the other hand why not put a cap of 30 per class the utv guys have their own world championship keep the numbers limited.

I’ve done the mint 3 times now. This was the best experience I’ve had so far. Tech and contingent was great and easy. Thumbs up for the 2 day tech.

And great thread!!

ndvalium

Rescue Director
Reaction
Just for those that actually care, 2019 Mint and other races are already deep into planning for any race organization. Permits are filed typically 9 months or more in advance with 6 months being the drop dead time to apply. Any major changes like going from a single day to a muliti day can be close to a year long process.

Call it hype if you like but the reality is you have a promotion team that knows they havent reached the top and is looking for the next group of ideas to take another step that way.

Mike @ pit b

#Mike@PlanB
Reaction
Technically Parker isn't bigger. Parker had 210 entries. The Mint had 458 entries, and it was capped! And didn't have bikes. San Felipe had 243 entries (and 48 of those were bikes), the 50th anniversary of the Baja 1000 had 412 entries (88 of those were bikes and quads).

I'm sorry your feelers were hurt by the paid spectating and the emails. I'm not trying to tell you that it is the best race (that is more difficult to qualify), but it is definitely the biggest desert race of the year. If another desert race this year has more entries than the Mint I'd be happy to buy you a steak dinner at the race of your choice.

How many people showed up to watch the MINT in it's 100 mile loop? How many people watched the 1000 in it's 1134 miles? A metricshitton. And none of them paid admission. Baja races don't need a year round hype machine. And yes Parker is bigger because 425 is bigger than 400. ;)

Frank13

Reaction
Include the Volunteers in the gifts the racers receive at registration. Especially if it turns into a 2 day race.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

Reaction
Was there an admission charge?

I know there was a parking fee.

Baja Belk

Reaction
Online entry with CC payment option
1 week early priority entry for previous year competitors (send a letter please)
Full price entry for UTVs (tell me again why they pay less?)

Wed: Tech/reg/contingency for Unlimited Classes

Thurs: Tech/reg/contingency for Limited Classes and UTV's; Qualifying for unlimiteds
Thursday night: Limited class driver's meeting (no sponsor bs, only race details)

Fri: Limited Class Race (late morning start), allow Sportsman class prerunning for TT guys (rear start)
Friday night: Limited class awards (abridged), Unlimited and UTV driver's meeting (extra sponsor bs). Earlier start, I go to bed early like Andy

Saturday morning: UTV's only
Saturday afternoon: Unlimited Classes

And please, please de-clusterize the finish line podium mess. If I don't win, I don't want to have to wait in line for an hour to dwell on my loss. If I do win, please let me up on the podium right away or behind other faster guys in front of me so I can say my 2 minutes and go home. Don't make me wait for an hour while you shuffle the top 15 UTV's we just beat in front of us to thank their 67 sponsors. Asking for a friend.

Kilian

_
Reaction
These are all great, guys. Please keep the criticism coming. I can't say one way or another on the majority of these issues but now that things have settled down after UTV Worlds, I can say we will print this thread and address each and every one of these internally.

100% we will have registration online next year. Again, I had everything set up this year but we were unable to make it happen. My goal is to make it like checking in for a flight, kiosk style. Show up, swipe your signature that you're here and away you go. That's how I just did media registration at UTV Worlds this year. No paper. All digital signature on waiver and liabilities before you show up.

Kilian

_
Reaction
Open the dirt on the north side of buffalo bills as pits. It is way too tight and over crowded the way it is now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe that's currently an alternate pit for 4500,8100,5500,1700,2700,3700 & 5100. But yes, better structured pits is a must.

Freedogger

Reaction
Online drivers meeting that can be watched prior to the hectic race week.

4ea 100 mile loops......

Indian land, rock garden, the real "Mint" course

Motorcycles

harleys dad

Reaction
I agree with Freedogger, North vegas 100 mile loops EVERYONE does 4

J Prich

Reaction
Online drivers meeting that can be watched prior to the hectic race week.

4ea 100 mile loops......

Indian land, rock garden, the real "Mint" course

Motorcycles

Honestly, does anyone think this is feasible? I'm not asking to argue, I'm asking sincerely. My assumption is that it's virtually impossible to run that course any more. Is there reason to believe that the BLM and tribe folks would even allow it?

Also, the logistics would be interesting. If people complain about the travel between Primm and Vegas now...

But if possible it would be amazing. You'd need a 500 entry cap or whatever for that one because if this thing ever gets back to the North Vegas course the interest would be insane.

Mxrider99

Reaction
Separate day for the UTV's and quads/bikes would be huge. After all, the bikes are back next year so I can only assume there's going to be two days of racing. Bikes/quads in the morning heat and UTV's in the afternoon heat.

Then the limited classes aren't crying about all the UTV's and more entries will be available for the morning race.

Two days of racing is rough on volunteers though, and as a volunteer myself i can honestly say id only be able to help for one day. At this years mint 400 i was there from 5am saturday morning to 3am sunday. Cant do that two days in a row....

Baja Belk

Reaction
Two days of racing is rough on volunteers though, and as a volunteer myself i can honestly say id only be able to help for one day. At this years mint 400 i was there from 5am saturday morning to 3am sunday. Cant do that two days in a row....

You're right.

Two-day race = larger demand for volunteers

HOWEVER

Two-day race = more entries = more money (especially if UTVs pay full fee that everyone else pays) = bigger budget for personnel to pull it off

Reaction
Volunteer or not, taking on responsibilities at stretches exceeding ten hours is ill-advised.

BANNED4LIFE

Reaction
Lot's of peeps didn't get to race including my CL10 bud Max.
so they brought their car to the race, READY TO GO, and were NOT allowed to race????

Zac Reish

Reaction
Baja Belk for president. That line after We came in last was a wtf moment. I disconnected a section of the temp erupted iron and drove through the parking lot in defeat being the last loser. I guess if everyone else wants Friday it must be a good idea. Yes please utv’s vintage, and class 11 race in their own race.

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Reaction
so they brought their car to the race, READY TO GO, and were NOT allowed to race????

PP, I guess we are zigging and zagging. My buddy got his Mint entry in the mail and literally filled it out and mailed it back the same day via USPS. But when he heard back from BITD, he was the third guy down on the waiting list for class 10. The online registrations took all of the entries before his 'mailed' entry was received by BITD. His position on the waiting list never moved even as the entries swelled over the 400 mark. So no he didn't bring his car. Just pitted for one of our friends.