• Forum membership has its advantages....

2019 NORRA Mex 500.....YES!

MasTacos

As a participant who raced in the 1st Mexican 500, I'm glad to see it back but I still hold the opinion that would be better as a straight forward, single time period loop race.

I know Mike's vision was always to try to do a multi-day rally format but I also believe that you can be more profitable and keep costs lower if you did it as a one day event (or whatever time period you assign). You need fewer people, it's easier logistics for the promoter and racers and all this bickering about hotel rooms goes away (unless you race out of BofLA!)

Day 1, you can do tech and a party
Day 2/3 line up an race (36-48hr time limit)
Day 4, you party

As a long time Baja bike racer, now Vintage car participant in Norra. Let’s see how Mike’s formula works. 500 miles straight in the old cars maybe a bit much, 250 miles a day is OK and the split bike/car routes eases up the worried mixing of the two. Being in one base camp/hotel is much simpler to bring new folks to check out the Rally. I have recommended the Norra 500 to new people interested in trying this before jumping into the 1000. Best learning curve possible. Viva Baja

MasTacos

Interesting idea. You set it up sort of Ultra4-like where you have two different 250mi loops coming out of a central location. Day 1, you run the bikes on one loop and the cars on the other then switch them on Day 2. That way you never have them running on the same course and you can make the logistics substantially easier.

Hello Mas Tacos (and all).

Yes, the race format will be pretty much exactly as described by you. Our goal is to create a second race within the NORRA umbrella that keeps all the good vibes, terrain and fun -- while also offering a more affordable overall experience that also great for the first-time racers too. It's a format that many of us first raced in the early 2000s with Casey Folks and it was a great experience for everyone on the team.

Hello Mas Tacos (and all).

Yes, the race format will be pretty much exactly as described by you. Our goal is to create a second race within the NORRA umbrella that keeps all the good vibes, terrain and fun -- while also offering a more affordable overall experience that also great for the first-time racers too. It's a format that many of us first raced in the early 2000s with Casey Folks and it was a great experience for everyone on the team.
Yes Sir! It will work out great!!

Zambo

Will each day be a single stage? Or will the day be divided into more than one stage like the 1000?

Right now we are working on those details but I believe in order to provide the best roads and pitting etc. there will be separate timed/transit stages like the Mexican 1000. Expect more information over the coming weeks.

Bro_Gill

trying to figure out how many cars really would suffer by being 'old'. Just about everyone I have seen built in the last few years has new or almost new parts on them.

I think the big reason for selecting smoother (easier) roads and breaking them up into multiple days has more to do with the age of the vehicle owner/operator than the car itself. The car doesn't care what the road surface is like or how many miles it has to finish each day but the person behind the wheel sure does. I've got friends and family in their 70's and 80's that still love off-road racing but they really don't want to run 500 miles a day anymore and they especially don't want to do it over a needlessly rough course. And racing at night? A lot of the aging "eyes" have a hard time at night and for some driving at night isn't any fun at all.

NORRA is setting itself apart from how SCORE / BITD run their events and that is precisely why the NORRA 1000 is so popular right now. It's a totally different format than what other series offer and it's all based around having fun. I think 2 separate days of racing with a break inbetween will prove to be a popular format and a lot more fun than running 500 miles "non-stop" with a 36 hour or similar time limit. If you want a non-stop race the SCORE Baja 500 offers that. Opt for a rear start and away you go.

There are a lot of racers that don't participate online so if you are reading this and know somebody that might have some suggestions it would be great if you could relay them to NORRA. NORRA wants to hear feedback and get new ideas and Eliseo genuinely appears to be listening and doing his best to make the majority of racers happy. The more racers that make their opinion known the better this event will be.

Aloha

Last edited:

Zambo

Personally I like the sprint aspect of rally racing. Having a couple of 100-125 mile sections each day instead of one long 250 each day lets you go hard for 2-3 hours, then take a break, change drivers, fix a couple small things etc, then go hard again. In fact I actually drive harder during these sections than I ever would in a 500 mile nonstop race.

I think the big reason for selecting smoother (easier) roads and breaking them up into multiple days has more to do with the age of the vehicle owner/operator than the car itself. The car doesn't care what the road surface is like or how many miles it has to finish each day but the person behind the wheel sure does. I've got friends and family in their 70's and 80's that still love off-road racing but they really don't want to run 500 miles a day anymore and they especially don't want to do it over a needlessly rough course. And racing at night? A lot of the aging "eyes" have a hard time at night and for some driving at night isn't any fun at all.

NORRA is setting itself apart from how SCORE / BITD run their events and that is precisely why the NORRA 1000 is so popular right now. It's a totally different format than what other series offer and it's all based around having fun. I think 2 separate days of racing with a break inbetween will prove to be a popular format and a lot more fun than running 500 miles "non-stop" with a 36 hour or similar time limit. If you want a non-stop race the SCORE Baja 500 offers that. Opt for a rear start and away you go.

There are a lot of racers that don't participate online so if you are reading this and know somebody that might have some suggestions it would be great if you could relay them to NORRA. NORRA wants to hear feedback and get new ideas and Eliseo genuinely appears to be listening and doing his best to make the majority of racers happy. The more racers that make their opinion known the better this event will be.

Aloha
Agree on the old human part of the equation as being more critical than of the vintage cars! All my cars are built with 75% or more of 50+ year old original parts, but my body has had decades of constant abuse, where as my cars have sat resting for decades. I feel Norra is finding a great way to relive the old days for old cars and vintage people who love Baja!
There were lots of old and new cars needing repairs each day during the Mex1000. This is formatted as ‘the Happiest Race’ and not a non-stop marathon, leave that to Score/BITD.

LantanaTX

Someone asked me after we ran the 50th Baja 1000 what is the difference between the SCORE and NORRA 1000’s and I told him they are both great adventures but the Baja 1000 is a beat down and NORRA is fun. I love the rally format and multiple stages for the reasons listed above. One of the most fun times I had at NORRA was being challenged to a race on the last stage of a day. It was a great race within a race. You can’t do that in SCORE or any other race. NORRA has found a great niche that anyone who races NORRA loves.

Zambo

I was kinda wondering if it would be fun to score the rally differently. Maybe some rallies already use such a system, I dunno. I was envisioning a points system where you got say 10 points for winning a stage, 7 for second, 6 for third, etc..down to 1 point for just finishing. Then add up the points at the end instead of using total time. Might be interesting to see a guy who wins 2 stages, comes in 2nd on one stage, and has one bad stage total 28 points still beat the guy who came in 3rd in all four stages, got a slightly better total time but only scored 24 points. You could make it so that no matter how many points you get, you still need to finish all four stages to be considered a podium finisher.

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Entries are going up by the day. The Mexican 500 will be epic. Love the two day format and circling back to Ensenada every day. Super easy! Need the vintage/NORRA community to embrace this event to make sure it continues. 63 entries with three months to go. Can we get to 150? Perfect race for vintage cars. Let's do this!

LantanaTX

Entries are going up by the day. The Mexican 500 will be epic. Love the two day format and circling back to Ensenada every day. Super easy! Need the vintage/NORRA community to embrace this event to make sure it continues. 63 entries with three months to go. Can we get to 150? Perfect race for vintage cars. Let's do this!
This will be a really fun race and cost much less than a full peninsula run! Let’s get a big vintage showing!

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
I am surprised that there are not more bikes signed up for this race. It is the perfect venue for vintage or people wanting an epic two wheel adventure. Also the Polaris RZR 'race rental' guys should show up in force.