2019: Why are TT's faster than Class 1 buggies?

DrZero

Reaction
They seem very close in capability and components. Both use purpose-built tube chassis, both use big V8s, aside from some cosmetic differences I guess it's the basic architecture of front engine / solid rear axle for the trucks, vs mid/rear engine and transaxle for the buggies. Why are the trucks consistently faster. If anything I would think the more independent articulation of the rear wheels on the buggies would be an advantage, but it doesn't seem to be.

(I've put the year in here, there are threads on this from more than 10 years ago, a lot has changed. I'm looking at the last couple of years of results.)

mexgamer

Reaction
When was the last time a class 1 buggy won the overall at any BITD or SCORE race? Not including Truggies of course

zjohnson

Reaction
Quite simply the beat drivers in off road racing are all in trophy trucks with the beat equipment available. If you were to spend the same budget and put a top driver in a class 1 car you would see them perform like they do in BITD. In score you start behind so many slower trophy truck drivers that you will be held up at some point which will change the overall results.

Robin Hood

Reaction
Quite simply the majority of the best drivers in off road racing WITH MONEY AND/OR CONNECTIONS are all in trophy trucks with the best equipment available.
Fixed it for you.

Seriously, there is a lot of talent, from all the classes, that could compete in Trophy Truck if they had the financial resources to dedicate the time and effort that you see at the top of the TT class.

DrZero

Reaction
When was the last time a class 1 buggy won the overall at any BITD or SCORE race? Not including Truggies of course
It looks like the rules for Class 1 no longer allow truggies, right? Engine has to be mid or rear, with independent rear suspension and transaxle?

McCredie A

Reaction
I think it was AGM at the baja 250. Maybe 2010?

ICR Racing 1044

Reaction
Letner won BITD Laughlin overall 2-3 years ago. Then he might have won same year at Rage (someone else confirm)

size of tire is big one
wheel travel is huge
but in my opinion trucks can just flat out handle alot more abuse then buggies. Trucks are like driving a Cadillac compared to a buggie, so if you had a million dollar a year budget what would you build?

You hardly see a class 1 team with even half the resources a TT team has, not to mention I don't know any 1 cars with anywhere close to 900 ponies and a spare drive train in 1 of the 10+ chase trucks, oh and don't for get the chopper to chase LOL!
class 1 budgets are big time money, TT budgets are next level stupid crazy money, top 1% stuff

J Prich

Reaction
CJ was 2nd Overall at both Silver State and Vegas to Reno. Not 1st, got it, but a 1 car in the hunt for the overall at two BITD races this year.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Seems the types of courses also favor Trophy/Trick trucks. Marketing plays a bit into this as well.

MTPyle

Reaction
Just watch videos of the same section with both Class 1 and TT. In my opinion the class 1 buggies look out of control and on the edge of disaster. The TT seems way smoother.

I think the independent rear suspension makes the class 1 less stable. You get independent kicks in the back.

if buggies were faster the big teams would be running them. TT is smoothest and most stable, which means it’s faster.

We have results and data that proves TT is faster. Just because there are a few crazy fast buggy guys like Letner or Dean does not mean the buggies are fast. Put Those guys in a TT and they will go around the same track faster in a TT.

Mike

michael.gonzalez

Reaction
the class 1 buggies look out of control and on the edge of disaster. The TT seems way smoother.

I think the independent rear suspension makes the class 1 less stable. You get independent kicks in the back.
I'd be willing to be its the rear-biased weight distribution.

I think a front-engine IRS class 1 will leave a similar rear engine IRS class 1 in the dust.

Just not many run front-engine IRS class 1's anymore.

Arciero used to drive a front-engine class 1. It had the transaxle in the back with a shaft connecting to the engine up front IIRC.

Robin Hood

Reaction
Just watch videos of the same section with both Class 1 and TT. In my opinion the class 1 buggies look out of control and on the edge of disaster. The TT seems way smoother.
Mike
TTs are more stable in the rough because they weigh 1 1/2 times more than a class one car.

MTPyle

Reaction
So your saying the class 1 buggies just need to add weight and they will be faster? Dang that’s a simple solution, wonder why they haven’t done that yet? Haha.

J BomBer

Reaction
I’d venture to say rear end travel limits a one car vs truck, depending on vehicles power is somewhat on par, same front end travel can be achieved but rear end, no way.

J Burleson

Reaction

Weight and weight bias, wheel travel, tire size, BASHABILITY, spool vs open or LSD, range,talent, budget..... We designed to address all but the last two factors. Now to get someone in one that CAN take care of the last two factors!