2019: Why are TT's faster than Class 1 buggies?

Sdracer

Increasing mass will not improve suspension performance in a straight line.
Increasing mass will decrease suspension performance in turns.

Each vehicle has mass of two types:
-Sprung
-Unsprung

You are suggesting that "heavier trucks perform better".
What I think you mean to say is "trucks that have more sprung weight relative to unsprung weight perform better"

It is about the mass ratio.

(Sprung mass/unsprung mass)
<-- This is the value you want to maximize.

You can accomplish this by reducing unsprung weight. Or increasing sprung weight.

I'll let you decide which would be better for OVERALL vehicle perfomance.

Weight only helps if it is placed properly. As physics explains, it is the polar moment of inertia.
All the race car engineering books tell us to keep the weight low, and centered neutrally. That is purely for on-road cars. In off-road it helps to have your weight outward by the tires, let your suspension work for you, not against you. That's how the imagineer Robby Gordon explains it.

As for Class 1 vs TT, the biggest kryptonite of the class 1 car is rear up travel. Being limited by the engine/trans skid plate hitting the ground, and also CV angles. A live axle can up-travel as much as you'd like given the chassis will then run into the ground. Has anyone been successful in the last 15 years with an IRS TT???

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
Where is this #28?

I'm betting sitting in a IRS property seizure yard rusting away waiting for a date with the auctioneer

Dezertpilot

That's a good question.
Season or single race?

I remember 10 years ago or so? Dale Dondel put the WHOOPIN' on the TT field at the SCORE Laughlin race in the bass boat IRS TT, man that truck was fast!

Sdracer

I'm not sure that I've heard of or seen this truck. Any more info?
Have you seen Dezert People 3? In the Laughlin clip, It is the short wheel base truck with little to no stickers that one of the Baldwin trucks (Don't remember if it was Jason or Josh) went tire to tire with in the Moon Bumps with flipping the Baldwin truck. I believe that WAS the last time an IRS TT has won a big race. 2003 Laughlin?

AZ7000'

For SCORE also starting position as they stag class1 after TT. BITD mixes those two classes and starts based on actual performance during qualifying.
#7 OA was a spec truck 279, passed 25tt's, 6 legends, all 14 of the 1 cars, and 3 other spec trucks? Pretty solid race and negates a lot of the starting position arguments

masleca

#7 OA was a spec truck 279, passed 25tt's, 6 legends, all 14 of the 1 cars, and 3 other spec trucks? Pretty solid race and negates a lot of the starting position arguments
There's a BIG difference between "passing" 25 TT's, 14 One Cars, etc... and finishing ahead of 25 TT's, 14 One Cars............Try Again, Sparky 😜

michael.gonzalez

There's a BIG difference between "passing" 25 TT's, 14 One Cars, etc... and finishing ahead of 25 TT's, 14 One Cars............Try Again, Sparky 😜
I hadn't really given much thought but this does make some sense. It's hard to say how much starting position REALLY affects the race.

AZ7000'

It may be a BIG difference but in the end the results are exactly the same, exactly. So i agree to disagree, my point being the start order doesn't rule out a 1 car win, it may contribute but is far from the deciding factor.

Bro_Gill

What would happen if the class 1 cars started 2 hours after the last TT left the line? Same with Class 10, where would the times be if they left the line 1 hour after the specs left the start line? passing cars is what slows other cars down the most. We have all seen how well some of the 'slower' classes have done with overall times at the split Parker race.

ace_photo

GET SOME
I was once told by one extremely successful driver that a class 1 "should" smoke a TT but he gets paid to drive a TT.

C.J. Hutchins

Clearly there are many factors to take into account.
Yes most of the "top" drivers are in TT's with unlimited budgets.
Could a buggy with an unlimited budget and top driver beat the trucks? Maybe???

If my motor didnt blow 4 miles from the finish at V2R we would have been super close to bryce for the OA, and in a 10 year old dune buggy with very limited funding compared to the truck teams, I think its pretty cool we are even close to these guys spending millions.

My two cents are the trucks are so damn dependable these days, they are able to drive these things like 1600 cars (wfo) on the ragged edge and the trucks dont break. I cant drive my car at 100% all the time or it would break. It takes a lot more finesse and tip toe-ing around to get a buggy to the finish line.