• Forum membership has its advantages....

2019: Why are TT's faster than Class 1 buggies?

OFFRD-JNKIE

If that were the case (in relation to ground pressure) why does a doezer use tracks instead of tires then? Tires would apply more pressure to the ground than a track. The track puts less PSI on the ground than a tire would.
I don't know any fancy math equations but to I would say the answer is surface area on the ground... a dover with 6ft of track on the ground is going to give way more grip the the surface area of a tire....

novaman64

I don't know any fancy math equations but to I would say the answer is surface area on the ground... a dover with 6ft of track on the ground is going to give way more grip the the surface area of a tire....
Which surface area reduces the amount of PSI over a given area on the ground = more traction. Think of contact patch on a tire the same way,

Bro_Gill

No! A dozer weighs so effing much that it needs all that contact patch to float. It has nothing to do with grip. That spread is for float. The grousers are for grip. Please don't compare the 2, they are totally different animals.

isdtbower

If that were the case (in relation to ground pressure) why does a doezer use tracks instead of tires then? Tires would apply more pressure to the ground than a track. The track puts less PSI on the ground than a tire would.
I'll bite: The dozer has way more tread area to the ground but the cleats are way more effective than a tire tread pattern. Have you ever seen how easy it is for a steel tracked dozer to skid sideways? ...or turn?? Or a sand tire for that matter. They are designed for straight traction but also to make it fun!

Before the motocross invasion in the late 60's most of the offroad bikes were running 18" fat front tires in the dez and the woods. The bikes were generally front heavy and "needed the flotation." Soon those and lighter bikes went to the thinner and lighter 21" tires. Taller knobs made up for any loss in braking traction. They were not intended to "float." but for more precise steeringm and braking ..... And the suspension dampening improved greatly with less unsprung weight. That is a 5000 ft view today, as we racers just followed what worked.

I suppose if it was just weight and CG and ??? No one would need new tires or own a groover.