2020 Baja 1000

Rslhc

Ok, the 500 is almost here and we have some leaked info from score about the 1000. Lets get a thread going on speculations and thoughts on the 1000!

• Will it happen?

• Course Layout: What are we thinking?
    • SCORE usually uses portions of the 1k course for the 500. Will we see a run up to Mexicali at the 1k?
    • Jose G dropped some interesting teasers on the Fishgistics preview show:
      • Course will be nearly 1000 miles - long for a loop race.
      • Course will be 'easy to chase' to help teams with reduced crews.
      • Course will limit highway sections, but not eliminate them.
      • Course will stay north of El Rosario
    • Will they use crossover road or mikes to cross peninsula? Anything south of mikes but north of El Rosario to use?
    • Will they start at Estero beach to reduce crowds downtown?

• Team turnout - will a 'successful' 500 result in more of a turnout for the 1000? Tons of big names not going to the 500, but have not stated plans for the 1000

• Will MX/US border relations prove problematic in teams wishing to race the rest of this year?

And the most important question of all:

• Will the unicorn make a debut and finish at the 1000???

Thoughts? Expectations? Speculations? Excitements?

Last edited:

Dustino81

Maybe something similar to 2016 but continue run further north near Mexicali ? Either way looking forward to it !!!

Rslhc

Yeah that would make some sense. I know Jose G said that the 1000 would include that section south of SF that goes in and out of the mountains in the washes (sorry, dont remember all the wash names down there)

Attachments

JDDurfey

Here is my prediction...

Start to Ojos and then Uruapan
Coast line to San Quintin and then to El Rosario
Turn back north through the mountains similar to the 07 Baja 1000 but run north
Up to Mike's
Down to the desert across Diablo and then to SF area running several washes
North to Borrego and north across Salado to Mexicali like the 500 is going
Loop around the west side of the lake and take the route used last year up through the mountains back to Ojos.

I'll let someone else do the mileage math, but I believe a full 1000 miles would be easily possible with a route like this.

Rslhc

I played around in google earth earlier today with a course similar to this only without the dip down to El Rosario and It came out to 900~ so going down from San quintin to el Rosario and back would get it up to 1000~. I bet you are probably real close to what we will see.

swiftracing5

Easy to chase basically eliminates going South of SF and crossing over. 1000 miles, loop, easy to chase, yikes.
Probably big SF loop, big Salada loop, summit. We will see. I hope I get a chance to go.

Rslhc

Haha. Yeah easy to chase, loop, and 1k miles seems like a pick 2 of the 3 type scenario. 😂 We do know it starts in the ensenada area, so there’s that piece of info too

I’m with ya. I’m scheduled to go and race. Hoping that it comes together and happens for me.

DRZ_Motorsports_119

On Fishgistics it was said the South point of the racecourse is El Rosario, the Middle point is San Felipe and the North point is Mexicali including new sections never been raced on.

I imagine Mexicali is on the radar in case of a plan B if the Mayor of Ensenada makes it hard again like 2019 to hold the race.

Does somebody have Intel on the host cities for the 2021 SCORE Schedule (excluding San Felipe and La Paz).

Rslhc

On Fishgistics it was said the South point of the racecourse is El Rosario, the Middle point is San Felipe and the North point is Mexicali including new sections never been raced on.
Gotcha. I mis-heard what Jose G said then. I thought he was just saying that it wasn't below El Rosario, not that it went down there. Still possible for it to line up with what @JDDurfey laid out for a course.
The 5 now connects to the 1 and is all paved. Nice but you now have that Black Doom.
Sweet! I was trying to get some info if the 5 was paved all the way down. Whats the 'Black doom'?

Rslhc

Haha. Yeah... should have guessed that. More pavement is a double-edged sword. This in particular makes chase logistics easier, but also the beauty of baja is the lack of development.

Rslhc

So, back to the RG unicorn discussion, where are you placing him in the finish order for the 1000? Any bold predictions on who takes the win?

y2kbaja

I'm going to go on a limb and say the course will be 2-laps around the Baja 500 course...backwards.

bajafox

Accepted
So, back to the RG unicorn discussion, where are you placing him in the finish order for the 1000? Any bold predictions on who takes the win?
From what little I've read it just sounds like he got run down in the dry lake beds and his speed just wasn't as high as the teams that caught him, then he had his issues in RM390ish (not sure what the ended up being)

The 1000 won't have the long dry lake bed speeds like the 500 did, if he can keep it together he should have a better finish than the 500.

Bro_Gill

Start and north up to the 2, down the big hill. south through San Felipe past aeropuerto and a couple washes, then north to Borrego. San Matias up to Mikes, back down to Valley T, work west towards the crossover, south towards Colonet inland, then coast north and home to Ensenada.

Chainguide

Start and north up to the 2, down the big hill. south through San Felipe past aeropuerto and a couple washes, then north to Borrego. San Matias up to Mikes, back down to Valley T, work west towards the crossover, south towards Colonet inland, then coast north and home to Ensenada.
but you left out El Rosario

BajaFand

How they gonna get to the big downhill you speak of if they can’t use the pine forest anymore?