2020 Baja 1000

Baja Bryan

RDC Crypto
That was the smartest move of the race. After that spot there is a hard right and a big drop off on the left. If LR did not lift it could of been the end of it for both of them. Cant win it at RM 80 but sure could have lost it. We all know who won.

JDDurfey

RDC Crypto
That was the smartest move of the race. After that spot there is a hard right and a big drop off on the left. If LR did not lift it could of been the end of it for both of them. Cant win it at RM 80 but sure could have lost it. We all know who won.

LR does not have 14 Baja 1000 wins because he is not a smart racer!

In an interview after his section he said that it was not his best driving. And while that may have been true, I think a lot of drivers probably felt that way because of how narly the course was this year. More importantly though, is the fact that LR drove fast enough to keep the leader in sight and kept the truck in great shape when he handed it off for the second half of the race, and that to me is impressive.

stephenrjking

RDC Crypto
Gotta be honest, watched the tv program, and it was disappointing. In part, because there was real excitement and drama that they had available to discuss and... simply did not.

They showed part of that shot where Bryce split with RG to try to make a pass, overcooked it, and went off the trail into the ditch. That was the moment where Bryce, by his own statement, broke the truck, requiring a half-hour repair. It was a beautiful camera shot and one of the pivotal moments of the race, and they have it on camera... and simply decline to mention it. No mention of Bryce/Andy losing time in the pits at all.

When the information is right there.

There was lots of this. Why not, as you're showing some night shots from San Felipe (I understand it's harder to acquire night footage, so they lean into the day footage), describe the fact that the Ampudia and 2 McMillin trucks are all on top of each other? Simple line: "halfway through the race and they're separated by less than a minute" or something like that. The narration briefly mentions that Ampudia bent his truck, but he was minutes behind Andy chasing for the lead when he stuffed it. They could easily have established the drama of the moment, and did not.

It's possible, even in a 1-hour program, even when you feel you need to show the shots of multiple classes multiple times, to do this. I wish they would.

JDDurfey

RDC Crypto
I think the problem with desert racing on TV is that the budget is lower than other sports and they are trying to make a show about a sport that is not mainstream into a mainstream show.

Case in point...a number of years ago the announcer kept calling the 1/2 1600 class "half 1600" The guy had no clue what he was talking about and since it was mostly taped live they couldn't correct it.

Sports announcers make big bucks and know their sport and the players. They also have access to stats and people that sit there during the event feeding the announcers with info. Why don't we have desert racing announcers that know the sport and all the players. And when the commentary is added after the even usually there is no reason why it couldn't be better.

But once again, I think money is the issue.

E.Hagle

RDC Crypto
It was cool to be on TV for 12 seconds. I spent the hardest 15 hours of my life in the car that night and told all sorts of stories to family and my friends but after watching that I think they all assume I’m full of poop