2020 BAJA 500

9rocky

Not on the date currently scheduled IMO. JoseG said on Fishgistics yesterday that they had another plan for a July date if they had to. That would be all coast and mountains. Nothing close to San Felipe. That is our opinion as to what will happen.

BTW did you buy your car from Jim Anderson?

mxben

Dang. We have some reservations made already - hope your wrong about the date - hope your right about the racecourse.

Yes we did buy it from Jim.

9rocky

Awesome car. Jim and Cooley do nothing half way.

I hope we are wrong as well, but just do not see it happening in June. We need to go racing...

MTPyle

I think the current dates will happen.

The data from the virus is coming back way lower than expected and its getting better and better already. So I think this will be over sooner than later.

We have our place in Ensenada booked and in the planing stages. Really excited about it and very curious what the course will look like. I assume they will try and keep it in the cooler areas. But who knows. I think the SF250 will be the hot race. June isn't too bad yet for the most part.

Mike

9rocky

The data from the virus is coming back way lower than expected and its getting better and better already. So I think this will be over sooner than later.

We have our place in Ensenada booked and in the planing stages. Really excited about it and very curious what the course will look like. I assume they will try and keep it in the cooler areas. But who knows. I think the SF250 will be the hot race. June isn't too bad yet for the most part.

Mike
You may be missing the fact that Mexico's rate of infection is still rising. They are not on the same trajectory as the US. We may not be able to, or want to, cross the border in June. Again, just my opinion.

ekozy39

Mike
Maybe data in California is looking positive, but we have to look at what's happening in MX, specifically Baja. There really isn't enough testing, or data coming out of the region. I am hearing, unfortunately, that things are just getting started there and the worst has yet to hit. Praying for a miracle, but expecting the race to run in July.

bajafox

Accepted
From what I'm gathering about our team is this whole season is toast. If any race happens this year in Baja I'll be happy to sleep in my truck near the course with nothing but a blanket and a cooler full of beer, but even that seems like a far stretch.

MTPyle

You guys might be right. But MX has a hotter climate and it is possible that it will be over faster when not contained. It will have more deaths but could be over faster. This is just my opinion and not meant to be a political statement.

But we just don't know for sure as there is no data to look at. Whats the word on the street down there?

Mike

MTPyle

I dont know what you guys are worried about. Look at the map, there are no cases in Baja. Let's go racing. LOL JK

Mike

Image 4-10-20 at 11.58 AM.jpg

RobinsonMS

A friend in the Baja Govt told me the cases are way under reported down there and people in the poorer neighborhoods are not practicing social distancing or anything else. He told earlier this week:
"The curve is starting to grow. We’ve had about 8 deaths, the thing is they’re not testing for Covid-19, and they’re diagnosing it as “unusual flu” or something like that and sending people home with isolation recommendation, so the official numbers are much lower than reality." They expect the medical facilities to collapse in a few weeks.

Its unrealistic to think the virus stopped at the border, wall or no wall.

There was a story today in the San Diego Union Online edition as well

AZ7000'

In the US the testing rate is somewhere around 0.77% of the population with about a 19.4% positive rate. Think about those numbers. We have tested less then 1% of the population, it is everywhere. Please stay home. This is a story about our hospital, I see it on the 2 days I can still work per week as an RN. I don't believe Baja has the resources to test nor could they deal with the real numbers, just like up here. If we don't look we won't find the accurate numbers...

If you get put on a vent you currently have about a 5-10% chance of surviving, optimistically. Basically if you survive it was in the cards, if you don't it wasn't. Ventilators might let you write your goodbyes but you can't have more then one visitor. It is horrible.

MTPyle

I think it will happen also. Hard to know how its going down there but here it is at a tipping point.

I get the sense that everyone I know is about to revolt and do whatever they want. In the US this cant go on much longer. We are not far from anger getting involved and people are about to do what they think they need to to survive. If they don't release the stay at home orders in the next 2 weeks there will be a big mess. You cant cage everyone too long.

I am optimistic that by May 1st things will be getting back to business up here.

Mike

MTPyle

Fish,

are you saying they have moved the 500 to July?

Mike

AZ7000'

Hard to know how its going down there but here it is at a tipping point.

I get the sense that everyone I know is about to revolt and do whatever they want. In the US this cant go on much longer. We are not far from anger getting involved and people are about to do what they think they need to to survive. If they don't release the stay at home orders in the next 2 weeks there will be a big mess. You cant cage everyone too long.

Mike
Great attitude! I failed high school the workers trying to save your asses after a progression of poor choices. MERICA!!!

The frustrating reality is those of us balanced between being overworked and cut down to 8-18 hrs per week will be there to try to save your dumb asses, or your grandparents, or your friends, or just other people.

You da man