2020 BAJA 500

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Google translate:

The completion of the Baja 500 in the month of August has not been authorized by the municipal government, it will depend on the situation of the epidemiological traffic light and the protocol presented by the promoters of the race that has not yet been presented.

Armando Ayala Robles, municipal president of Ensenada, reported the above and pointed out that there is still no authorization in this regard.

There is a request from the restaurant and hotel sector in Ensenada to reschedule the celebration of the Baja 500 for the month of August, and a protocol that has been called a "stay at home race" is just about to be presented, added the municipality.

"I told them, present your protocol and although I agree that establishments need to reactivate this type of event, it generates great social mobilization, circulation, not all people are disciplined, they will want to be on the track," said Ayala Robles. .

Open to options
He said that they cannot be closed, that is why it is necessary to be open for the Ministries of Health, Sustainable Economy and Tourism to review it and they are decisions that if they were down in infections it would be easier to make, but not with the current circumstances, complicates.

He mentioned the case of the street vendors who, he said, authorized 30% to reopen, however, given the critical situation regarding the pandemic, no more authorizations of this type are contemplated.

Everything that is done in the next few days will be based on what the Ministry of Health establishes, the mayor concluded.

One-Eyed Peter

There's over 500 miles of race course for spectators to "socially distance" from each other! And for us racers/crew members we can all do our best to not give it to each other. Stay out of restaurants, hotels, Paris, etc. Just dry camp Johnson Valley style. I know some of this isn't exactly realistic, but man I want to race!

redline

Welp, magically now today they are reporting no new cases and more than 100 less active cases. The news articles are saying that it looks like the pandemic is behind them now. So if they open up right now they will be right back in two weeks, or thy stay shut down until 2 weeks before the race and then they shut down right after the race. Any takers on odds?

lil manny

Welp, magically now today they are reporting no new cases and more than 100 less active cases. The news articles are saying that it looks like the pandemic is behind them now. So if they open up right now they will be right back in two weeks, or thy stay shut down until 2 weeks before the race and then they shut down right after the race. Any takers on odds?
I bet you can bet on this at caliente!

Goober

I read on Instagram that if the 500 happens Luke and I’m assuming Dan will not race. Very surprised to hear that since McMillin’s have always been about Baja

redline

I read on Instagram that if the 500 happens Luke and I’m assuming Dan will not race. Very surprised to hear that since McMillin’s have always been about Baja
Their team has also personally experienced the bad side of Baja too. I think there is a lot of uncertainty going on in more aspects than just the Rona down south. There are a few other big teams that are not going down even if the race happens because of those factors.

OFFRD-JNKIE

^^^^ I agree, with baja having to deal with months of shut downs crime is way up due to lack of money being made from the tourist industry.

RYAN COHEE

I have some solid intel about the conditions in mid to lower Baja.. Example like seafood export and other goods are at a halt.. The health care in Mexico is very low standard also with all of the combined factors not to mention if the race were to happen you cant have crowds? Tech with no taco stands or Steekers NOT GOOD.
The government in Mexico also is not helping the citizens that are "out of work' . The country that strives on tourism and selling goods is in trouble.. I hope this ends soon I love Baja and the people of the land..

ekozy39

The race is basically a month away and SCORE doesn’t have permits and tensions are high b/t promoter and govt. Ensenada non-local lockdown is ramping back up. I’d say slim to no chance this race happens. The announcement by Score was just to mess with V2R.

One-Eyed Peter

I get what everyone is saying and I'm finally coming to grips with it being canceled. I'm totally bummed but it all makes sense. Out of curiousity, why would SCORE mess with BITD. Honest question. Is it malicious intent?

AZ7000'

Can you say "Trophy Truck"? BITD cant... Pretty sure bud light messed with all the other light beers about High Fructose Corn Syrup when we had the NFL. Coke vs Pepsi, take the pepsi challenge (too old?).

Depends your definition of malicious intent vs competition between the 2 biggest players.

I don't know why they announced it and am not speaking to that at all.

One-Eyed Peter

Roger that. Just wondering. Looks like V2R for me then. SCORE just sent an email 3 minutes ago, with chassis inspection schedule info. I guess they're still in denial.

CodyParkhouse

I don't think SCORE did it to mess with V2R. They probably did it(with the support of the Hotel and Restaurant Organizations) to try to pressure the gov't into allowing the race, but that doesn't seem to be working/definitely hasn't worked so far.

mxben

Their team has also personally experienced the bad side of Baja too. I think there is a lot of uncertainty going on in more aspects than just the Rona down south. There are a few other big teams that are not going down even if the race happens because of those factors.

What other aspects?