2020 BAJA 500

mxben

Why start it there? If they are looking to limit crowds, why wouldn't the start be place somewhere much more difficult to get to than Estero?

You can have the locals man the gates like last time and try to hustle everyone into paying for parking. That was rich. Just my two cents but maybe a start in Ojos Negros in the early morning hours would be best. Either way fire it up! Time to race! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Chainguide

Why start it there? If they are looking to limit crowds, why wouldn't the start be place somewhere much more difficult to get to than Estero?
From what I understand, the 500 will be will be a mainstay at Estero. Kind of like it's own signature by always starting there. As far as the crowds? Well it is gated

mxben

Wow......

Moderator, will you please give mxben directions on how to get to the purple forum? He can’t seem to find it. I (and I think a lot of others) come on this forum to read about and discuss desert racing, not this b.s.
Reported.

Goober

The start needs to move on from the wash. With all the speed limits imposed the route out of town needs to be different. Estero allows Score to run dirt all the way. Just don’t run the wash, run the high road. Can you connect Estero to Ojos?

dan200

#BSF200
What is an Estero start like for vendors?
I don’t do the vendor thing in BAJA. For a setup like the one We have it is a logistical nightmare. Besides PCI and rugged there really aren’t any actual vendors from the states selling stuff. People like king and method go and display (not sell) but that’s about it. Actually bringing inventory and selling stuff is stupidly complicated.
I’ll say I did not hate pushing the truck through tech at Estero. It wAs nowhere near as hectic as when it is in town but still full of people. I would prefer it to be in town like usual but I hate how it feels like a bottle neck. I wish they could figure out a way to use all the vacant lots just south of start/finish and get everyone some elbow room.

bajafox

Accepted
Personally I don't do starts in Baja anymore as I'm usually up getting my chase truck and team ready to head out to our spot(s) but tech at Estero sucks. My favorite part was walking from the hotel to tech, eating and drinking along the way. If Estero is a main stay for tech and start for each 500 guess there won't be much of a reason to waste taking a day off on Friday before the race anymore, unless my team needs me to be there early but the truck is usually staged at the King trailer all day anyway.

The talk last year was that the only reason they held it at Estero was due to the voting going on in town. Shouldn't known tha twas a BS excuse.

dan200

#BSF200
The talk last year was that the only reason they held it at Estero was due to the voting going on in town. Shouldn't known tha twas a BS excuse.
Doesn’t the Mayor of Ensenada own Estero?

I like tech in town better also for all those reasons but I wish it was WIDER. It takes 30 minutes to walk a block in that mosh pit.

Chainguide

I like tech in town better also for all those reasons but I wish it was WIDER. It takes 30 minutes to walk a block in that mosh pit.
I believe he was until a year and a half ago. The new Mayor is Armando Ayala

9rocky

The previous mayor is part of the Novelo family. I believe they own 3 or 4 hotels in the Ensenada area including Estero. Luis and Gerardo are the main guys at Estero, Antonio was the mayor.

bajafox

Accepted

Already been posted but last year I think they said the mayors brother owned it.

MTPyle

so what's the chances of this race happening early next month? We really wanted to do some SCORE races this year but would hate to plan on this and it not happen. So we need to decide if its V2R or take a chance on B500.

Any insight?

Mike

dan200

#BSF200
so what's the chances of this race happening early next month? We really wanted to do some SCORE races this year but would hate to plan on this and it not happen. So we need to decide if its V2R or take a chance on B500.

Any insight?

Mike
I have no inside info and V2R being a week later and more of a sure thing I’m
Betting even if the 500 does happen it will have a weak car count and be way more of a pain in the ass and less fun than I should be.
My team is factory sponsored and contracted to do both races with one truck and two UTVs. I feel bad for the prep guys if we have to do both.

2020 is stupid. I miss baja but the 500 would be a lame trip. I’ll be happy if we just concentrate on V2R and blow off the 500. One sweltering heat event in August is enough for me. Hopefully we get the 1000 and can get back to normal.

These cancellations have really screwed up my travel schedule. Cramming a bunch of make up races back to back and on top of each other is gonna be hectic for us race carnie workers.