2020 BAJA 500

Baja Bryan

As Redline mentioned the border crossing ban has been extended. Here’s an article about it. That’s cutting it really close for the 500.

US extends ban on border crossing with Canada and Mexico until September 21
The US Department of Homeland Security said on Friday that a COVID-19 ban on non-essential travel through border crossings with Canada and Mexico was being extended until Sep 21.
The restricted travel is aimed at slowing the spread of coronavirus was first imposed in March and has been extended several times since then.
“We continue to work with our Canadian and Mexican partners to slow the spread of #COVID19,” acting US Homeland Security Secretary Chad Wolf said on Twitter.
Its not a ban its limited restrictions and only on paper. The only people it affects is Mexican citizens with a tourist visa. This has been in place since march. I have crossed the border about 30 times since march and only thing they have done was took my temperature twice.

redline

Its not a ban its limited restrictions and only on paper. The only people it affects is Mexican citizens with a tourist visa. This has been in place since march. I have crossed the border about 30 times since march and only thing they have done was took my temperature twice.
It also effects people in other ways. IF anything was to happen that insurance needed to be involved they have an easy way out. Technically you shouldn't be there in the first place so even a discount sidewalk lawyer could easily use that reason for why their client is not responsible for you or anyone involved. Also a lot of companies that we know of still currently have the standing rule that if you leave the country you need to quarantine for two weeks unpaid.

I sure hope everything changes after Nov 4th!

Curtis Guise

Administrator
It also effects people in other ways. IF anything was to happen that insurance needed to be involved they have an easy way out. Technically you shouldn't be there in the first place so even a discount sidewalk lawyer could easily use that reason for why their client is not responsible for you or anyone involved. Also a lot of companies that we know of still currently have the standing rule that if you leave the country you need to quarantine for two weeks unpaid.

Yes I know many people that have been crossing the border back and forth many times the last few months. But there is allot more to it like you mentioned, especially for race teams.

Honda48X

There are lots of companies that Pay you when you are quarantined. MG, do you work for the same company as Redline?

redline

They pay you for quarantine if it is possibly related to work or such. If it is a personal choice such as leaving the country, most will not pay you for added vacation.

redline

I get the impression people work for Redline.
Nope, thats just what I have heard from chase people and also from others that do have a lot of people who work for them.

Trust me, we have been ready and waiting to race since the original San Felipe dates! Right now though we are just hoping that the 1000 actually happens. Schedule has had to change so many times last minute this year that the team owner says not doing it again.

MTPyle

This is a tough call. We really wanted to race in Baja but it just seems too uncertain for the B500. Plus I am still worried about crime and the last minute cancellation. Its a ton of work to plan a race like this and we can't go thru all that and then have it canceled again. Plus after V2R its clear we would need even more guys than we had in the pits. Lots of people and moving parts to risk it.

So I think we are out and super bummed. We are going to do everything we can to do the B1000 this year.

Mike

DG_BTI

This is a tough call. We really wanted to race in Baja but it just seems too uncertain for the B500. Plus I am still worried about crime and the last minute cancellation. Its a ton of work to plan a race like this and we can't go thru all that and then have it canceled again. Plus after V2R its clear we would need even more guys than we had in the pits. Lots of people and moving parts to risk it.

So I think we are out and super bummed. We are going to do everything we can to do the B1000 this year.

Mike
you raced v2r with the prospect of it being cancelled days before the race. Whats the difference? I'm not affiliated, but going out on a limb that the 500 is happening. I would say it's just as safe if not safer than most places as they have all been wearing mask, keeping people out and trying their best to be sanitary. The Americans that will go are basically the same people you were just with last weekend. I am going and cant wait! Time to move on already.

Charlietuna

you raced v2r with the prospect of it being cancelled days before the race. Whats the difference? I'm not affiliated, but going out on a limb that the 500 is happening. I would say it's just as safe if not safer than most places as they have all been wearing mask, keeping people out and trying their best to be sanitary. The Americans that will go are basically the same people you were just with last weekend. I am going and cant wait! Time to move on already.
I certainly would't want to speak for MT, but I would imagine the extra ~1500 miles round trip from Utah and back has something to do with it. It's a lot shorter drive from Utah to Nevada than it is from Utah to Baja.

MTPyle

We had already planned and booked V2R when they talked about it getting canceled. So was not much we could do. States races are much easier to plan and deal with logistically than Baja races.

It is further but we are not afraid of the long drive. I would most likely fly my plane down anyway Haha

The issue is all the work and planing for a uncertain race. Also the fact that we may not be able to pre run hurts us. The guys that know the course and have lots of experience will have a large advantage from guys like us that need to pre run.

We were just in Mexico for a family trip and it was great but Baja seems more dangerous and we will be out in middle of nowhere which is much more difficult to protect ourselves. The people of Baja must be super desperate from this mess.

Mike

joshmx88

I think Pyle is right on there, going to mexico this year doesnt seem like a great idea with all that is going on. That would be a huge amount of work and expense to put together with the possibility of cancellation.