2020 BAJA 500

MTPyle

I will be honest I would love to do it and I may just be making excuses. I am not afraid of the heat or the drive. I also do not really worry about the people of Baja and crime, that may just be me listening to my wife. haha

But we have so many challenges, one of which is our sponsor is not signed up for any Baja races and doubt they would help us for Baja. So that puts the entire bill on me. Also need more guys which adds cost. So if we do not do it its mostly because I cant afford it on my own. It's a huge cost to run a race like that and will not only take a top level prep but expenses are huge for a team of 12 or so guys.

Just wanted to be real and not just blame the easy stuff.

I am going to do some work on getting things like tires, fuel, etc.. covered. Our prep guys really want to race in Baja so I am sure they will do what they can.

Just the reality of racing with a small boot strapped team. Sometimes budget is the limiting factor.

Mike

DG_BTI

I will be honest I would love to do it and I may just be making excuses. I am not afraid of the heat or the drive. I also do not really worry about the people of Baja and crime, that may just be me listening to my wife. haha

But we have so many challenges, one of which is our sponsor is not signed up for any Baja races and doubt they would help us for Baja. So that puts the entire bill on me. Also need more guys which adds cost. So if we do not do it its mostly because I cant afford it on my own. It's a huge cost to run a race like that and will not only take a top level prep but expenses are huge for a team of 12 or so guys.

Just wanted to be real and not just blame the easy stuff.

I am going to do some work on getting things like tires, fuel, etc.. covered. Our prep guys really want to race in Baja so I am sure they will do what they can.

Just the reality of racing with a small boot strapped team. Sometimes budget is the limiting factor.

Mike
if you need help down there I'm more than happy and capable. And free!

AZ7000'

expenses are huge for a team of 12 or so guys.
Sometimes it wasn't...
IMG_0348.jpeg

Not a rub on you, sometimes I just miss that guy, he made it happen.

Honda48X

Mike, You have a place to stay. Come on down and at least be apart of the show. It is very safe there. Everything is taking place at the El Dorado Ranch. Security is tight!!!

Scott

Goober

We had already planned and booked V2R when they talked about it getting canceled. So was not much we could do. States races are much easier to plan and deal with logistically than Baja races.

It is further but we are not afraid of the long drive. I would most likely fly my plane down anyway Haha

The issue is all the work and planing for a uncertain race. Also the fact that we may not be able to pre run hurts us. The guys that know the course and have lots of experience will have a large advantage from guys like us that need to pre run.

We were just in Mexico for a family trip and it was great but Baja seems more dangerous and we will be out in middle of nowhere which is much more difficult to protect ourselves. The people of Baja must be super desperate from this mess.

Mike
Baja more dangerous than mainland?

JDDurfey

This is a tough call. We really wanted to race in Baja but it just seems too uncertain for the B500. Plus I am still worried about crime and the last minute cancellation. Its a ton of work to plan a race like this and we can't go thru all that and then have it canceled again. Plus after V2R its clear we would need even more guys than we had in the pits. Lots of people and moving parts to risk it.

So I think we are out and super bummed. We are going to do everything we can to do the B1000 this year.

Mike
What tires do you run? I know you guys are fairly new and even newer to Baja. I would suggest using BFG and taking advantage of their pit support until you get your team lined out. You don't need as many guys this way, and in my experience the guys in the BFG pits are great.

MTPyle

JD,

We run Toyo and absolutely love them, would not change to BFG. I know BFG does have great support.

We used Baja Pits when we did the 2018 B1000 and that helped, we could do that again. They are not as good as the BFG guys but they have good coverage and are a bunch of great guys.

Scott,

thanks fo the offer and we may take you up on it. Just talked to the guys and they really want to pull it off. We want to do the B1000 for sure and the B500 will be a good pre race for the 1000.

Just need to do some budgets and see what help I can get from our sponsors.

Dennis,

Thanks for the offer, if we can pull it off we will for sure ask for your help.

The fact is this sport is a sickness and like a bad drug. I will most likely pull it off even if I shouldn't. Haha

Mike

43mod

I will most likely pull it off even if I shouldn't.
said by 3/4 of the racers I know.
Mike If we do not get a buddies Jeep Speed up and going I would be glad to provide a legit chase truck and crew for you. My little house (KM 31.5 La Mission/Santa Maria) cant really hold more people but we could sure knock out a nice beach front bbq and team meeting there . Our house in Puertecitos makes a good hang out point for drivers or crew needing some rest,shower, parking etc .

stephenrjking

JD,

We run Toyo and absolutely love them, would not change to BFG. I know BFG does have great support.

We used Baja Pits when we did the 2018 B1000 and that helped, we could do that again. They are not as good as the BFG guys but they have good coverage and are a bunch of great guys.

Scott,

thanks fo the offer and we may take you up on it. Just talked to the guys and they really want to pull it off. We want to do the B1000 for sure and the B500 will be a good pre race for the 1000.

Just need to do some budgets and see what help I can get from our sponsors.

Dennis,

Thanks for the offer, if we can pull it off we will for sure ask for your help.

The fact is this sport is a sickness and like a bad drug. I will most likely pull it off even if I shouldn't. Haha

Mike
One of these years I'm going to figure out how to get down to Baja in November and ask someone like you if they need a tall guy who can pray and type fast and has few other usable skills if they need a spare hand chasing the race. Seeing you guys talk this way makes it sound so... doable.

redline

Awesome course would be up to 3 pole, san matias, trinidad, crossover, down to san Quintin, up to mike's, down to diablo, matomi, and back up to felipe. Not from any rumor train, just what I thought would be a cool course right about 500 miles.

jon coleman

hmmmm, racing IS a sickness, im trying to ' line' things up for just one more fixx, right now im " just waiting"( M.Delaney)

Curtis Guise

Administrator
With the CODE Hechicera Grand Prix being scheduled for Sept 11-13th in Tecate that is a very good sign that the Baja 500 will happen. Alfonso knows what he's doing and he didn't want to announce anything until he knew for sure there was a very good chance of his race happening. We all know 2020 has been a huge mess so anything could change at any time. But I think it's safe to say things are going in the right direction.

mxben

Without any of the mountains and west coast I think we will be waiting until February to run the 250 and enjoy this area. Feb for the 2fiddy and April for the 5hundo sounds super bitchen.

Whats the prospective course for the 1k look like?

Chainguide

Awesome course would be up to 3 pole, san matias, trinidad, crossover, down to san Quintin, up to mike's, down to diablo, matomi, and back up to felipe. Not from any rumor train, just what I thought would be a cool course right about 500 miles.
uh nope, lol. Although that would be nice, don't get your hopes up.