2020 BAJA 500

jon coleman

Reaction
Why do the Moto team's always get the early start.? Start the Trucks/Buggy's first for a change. Most of you are in the construction Industry, 2am wake up call is not "happy". Your bio-clock never recovers.
Lance
yeah, its safer too, bikes passing cars, instead of vice-versa( internal alarm clock is a bi ch , especially after military service

tapeworm

Reaction
Why do the Moto team's always get the early start.? Start the Trucks/Buggy's first for a change. Most of you are in the construction Industry, 2am wake up call is not "happy". Your bio-clock never recovers.
Lance
Most of the novice and sportsman riders can barely ride the entire course before all the cars tear it up, there is no way they are going to be able to after all the cars tear through the course.

Coats55

Reaction
BAJA 500 RACERS

Most of you are aware that the people in this little town of San Felipe, where this race will be held are in dire need of help.
Their fishing rites have been limited, the SCORE races have been cancelled, until this 1, and their businesses have been closed due to the Pandemic.
Many have been unable to work to feed their families. The government has passes out just enough food to keep them alive The expats do what they can with food drives but many are gone for the summer. The need is great and we need your help.
We are setting up a food drop off location at THE SAN FELIPE BREWERY, across from Baja Medical in the corner of that little "mall"
WE NEED;
Food of all types....Rice, Beans, Hominy, Vegetable oil, Masa for tortillas,,Chiles, CANNED vegetables, fish,meat,
Toiletries, Shampoo, soap, toilet paper, dish soap, cleaning and disenfecting supplies

Any thing and everything will help.

If you do not care to shop and bring actual food or you would like to help those that cannot pay their electric bills, you can paypal money and we will purchase needed food items etc.
PAYPAL : Conniecoats45@gmail.com

Collecting will begin Sept 11,just prior to Pre-Run...and will continue thru the last day of the race..See Donna, Nicole or Connie at THE SAN FELIPE BREWERY.
If you have questions, please call 619-616-8224

THANK YOU for your consideration

nohandslance

Reaction
Will there be a US/San Diego drop location for said items.? I'm in the Supportive/Giving mood for the locals that have always welcomed us..

Lance

Coats55

Reaction
Will there be a US/San Diego drop location for said items.? I'm in the Supportive/Giving mood for the locals that have always welcomed us..

Lance
If you would like to help you could contribute to the PayPal account or I can arrange a drop off point in San Diego . I can let you know where I set that up.

Brandt_Anderson

"Rag Doll"
Reaction
BAJA 500 RACERS

Any thing and everything will help.

If you do not care to shop and bring actual food or you would like to help those that cannot pay their electric bills, you can paypal money and we will purchase needed food items etc.
PAYPAL : Conniecoats45@gmail.com

Collecting will begin Sept 11,just prior to Pre-Run...and will continue thru the last day of the race..See Donna, Nicole or Connie at THE SAN FELIPE BREWERY.
If you have questions, please call 619-616-8224

THANK YOU for your consideration
Thank you for this! I will be contributing. In addition to this, is there a good way to determine what is open in San Felipe at any given time? I'm up here planning on bringing all my own food for the race because I don't know what's open & available down there. But that is not helpful at all. I'd much rather buy food and supplies down there. I'm assuming grocery stores have to open, right? But what is the state of various restaurants? Take out only? Patio dining only? etc. If grocery stores are open, would it make sense to buy the things we will donate down there? Then we are helping out double. Thanks!

OFFRD-JNKIE

Reaction
Entry list is pretty thin. Yes I know it’s early.
I know of at least 3 cars that are racing but not on the list.

mxben

Reaction
If BFG was cool they would spread that 25000 out across a couple classes. Like TT, SPEC, 1, 10, and whatever the premier UTV class is.

No offense buts what is 25k to a guy running an 800k TT ?

Spoken from a guy who still pays rent... idk... enlighten me..

MTPyle

Reaction
I assume you are talking about the SCORE press release that says BFG will put $50K into 2020 contingency?

I think thats cool. Too bad they dont just put it up as purse to the winner regardless of what tires the winner is on. LOL that would make it interesting.

I think $25k is still $25K no matter who you are.

Mike

ErickK

Reaction
If BFG was cool they would spread that 25000 out across a couple classes. Like TT, SPEC, 1, 10, and whatever the premier UTV class is.

No offense buts what is 25k to a guy running an 800k TT ?

Spoken from a guy who still pays rent... idk... enlighten me..
Exactly, and anyone in TT who has a chance to win is getting paid to run the tires the do not b/c they have a chance to win beer money.

J Prich

Reaction
If you were working at BFG, what would you do? Would you see value to your company in paying money to a competitor who doesn't even support your product? Do you see more ROI on giving money to the winner of the sports most visible class, or the smaller classes who "need" it more?

I get the sentiments but I'm just saying, if you're on the business side of this would YOU do what some of you are proposing that BFG should do with their money? I mean the flip side is, they could give zero dollars....

mxben

Reaction
If you were working at BFG, what would you do? Would you see value to your company in paying money to a competitor who doesn't even support your product? Do you see more ROI on giving money to the winner of the sports most visible class, or the smaller classes who "need" it more?

I get the sentiments but I'm just saying, if you're on the business side of this would YOU do what some of you are proposing that BFG should do with their money? I mean the flip side is, they could give zero dollars....

I would never expect them to pay someone running a competing tire.

I honestly think spreading out the money goes further in my book. Do they show many " little guys " any love when it comes to tire pricing? Either way they make a good product that we don't mind paying full retail for.

25k is almost 10 entry fees so maybe spread the love.

Sdracer

Reaction

I agree from a business view point.

From an organizers view point, I would try and bring the smaller class entries in. All TT guys want to win in Baja no matter what, so the entries are a given. What happened to the class 12, 16, 5-1600 entries we used to see 10-15 years ago...... I guarantee if you had even just a $10k bonus for 1st O/A VW to finish the Baja 1000 (like they did in 2007). or 1st in class, or something of that gratitude, there would be entries for those classes back above 20+. IMO. Competitive racers want to race against the highest car count and the best of the best racers.

J Prich

Reaction
I agree from a business view point.

From an organizers view point, I would try and bring the smaller class entries in. All TT guys want to win in Baja no matter what, so the entries are a given. What happened to the class 12, 16, 5-1600 entries we used to see 10-15 years ago...... I guarantee if you had even just a $10k bonus for 1st O/A VW to finish the Baja 1000 (like they did in 2007). or 1st in class, or something of that gratitude, there would be entries for those classes back above 20+. IMO. Competitive racers want to race against the highest car count and the best of the best racers.
Agreed in terms of who should be focused on what. My point is that sponsor incentives are not charity and my guess is no company is making decisions about where to invest their sponsor money based on perceived "need". They are first and foremost making those decisions based on what gives them the best ROI for their buck. And they pay people a lot of money in branding and marketing to analyze and make those kinds of decisions. So while it would be nice to be a guy in a less high profile class to get the money incentive, the business (like BFG) isn't a successful business by trying to do whats nice. They are doing what makes most sense for them.

IMO it's on the promoter to try to lure in sponsors to provide that money to classes the promoter wants to try to grow or support. But for what it's worth, I'm not 100% sure that the idea of just throwing in more prize money automatically raises car counts in certain classes. I would venture to guess that there are a lot of limited class guys (in Mexico and US) that if given the option of lower entry fee or bigger pay out for the class winner...would actually pick lower entry free. It's not an exact science and everyone's motivation is different, but there are plenty of guys who don't care if there is $2k or $20k on the line...they care first about the price of admission.

redline

Reaction
The race is still a ways away in 2020! 3 weeks could be a while new world at the rate this year is going.

Drawing is not until end of next week so its normal to not have a lot of people on the entry list this far out. By race day it will probably be around double if things continue like they are going.

Why should BFG have a money payout to their competitors? Terms of every other main contingency sponsor in racing is must run sticker AND product. Yes it would be good to spread it out among the other classes but from and advertising aspect it is more rewarding if the fastest competitor is running you product than someone who is likely to be less recognizable.