2020 BAJA 500

JDDurfey

Here’s something cool you don’t usually see... An impressive / competitive young TT driver entering a race on a sportsman Moto 🙌

Good Luck boys!!

Also FYI entry list now up to 107.. I think they’ll actually be at around 200 for race day. More will sign up once they see the code race actually happen this weekend.
Both their TT and TT Spec are for sale in the classifieds.

mexgamer

What about spectators? I mean, I see that they aren't allowed, but how is that even going to be enforced? It's a 500-mile course, I'm sure there will be spectators.

MTPyle

Looks like Bryce Menzies bailed on the 500. I had heard they hired armed guards and had an extensive security plan in place. Wonder why he bailed after all that work in planning?

To be honest if I was a golden child I would not want to be down there un protected.

Mike

bajafox

Accepted
Tavo released a video on FB why he won't be racing. Saw the whole thinking he was going to announce he tested positive like Apdaly but it was more like a public service announcement. Bit much IMO, could have just not registered and left it at that. Think we all know the risks by now...

mxben

Looks like Bryce Menzies bailed on the 500. I had heard they hired armed guards and had an extensive security plan in place. Wonder why he bailed after all that work in planning?

To be honest if I was a golden child I would not want to be down there un protected.

Mike
Armed guards? Seriously?

ekozy39

Mike
Guards? They run down there all the time without.. Only one I’ve seen with guards was Larry Connor. I think it’s more about the Crandon crash than anything else.

MTPyle

I have heard of many teams that get armed and trained guards to meet them at the border and stay with them until they leave Mexico for this race. I don't think teams have done with is the past. The fear is with the economy so bad there are some desperate bad guys.

There is no way to insure all of trucks and vehicles. Someone can just hold you up at gun point before you leave to head home and take all the trucks and gear. Nothing you could do unless you have armed guards to fight back or make sure nobody messes with you.

We had finally decided to do this race and were being told this by other teams. So we were going to get our own guards with another team. then I thought to myself if I need armed guards to race maybe I should not be racing. It's not the race fans or the people of San Felipe that I worry about. It's the long drive north back to the border that can be risky.

I was not worried about Covid at all, just about getting robbed and not being able to defend ourselves. I could only insure our race truck and trailer for $100K so if it got stolen we would be screwed.

Mike