2020 BAJA 500

McCredie A

Reaction
I have heard of many teams that get armed and trained guards to meet them at the border and stay with them until they leave Mexico for this race. I don't think teams have done with is the past. The fear is with the economy so bad there are some desperate bad guys.

There is no way to insure all of trucks and vehicles. Someone can just hold you up at gun point before you leave to head home and take all the trucks and gear. Nothing you could do unless you have armed guards to fight back or make sure nobody messes with you.

We had finally decided to do this race and were being told this by other teams. So we were going to get our own guards with another team. then I thought to myself if I need armed guards to race maybe I should not be racing. It's not the race fans or the people of San Felipe that I worry about. It's the long drive north back to the border that can be risky.

I was not worried about Covid at all, just about getting robbed and not being able to defend ourselves. I could only insure our race truck and trailer for $100K so if it got stolen we would be screwed.

Mike

If you do not mind me asking what is the ballpark price for their service?

mig29

Reaction
I have heard of many teams that get armed and trained guards to meet them at the border and stay with them until they leave Mexico for this race. I don't think teams have done with is the past. The fear is with the economy so bad there are some desperate bad guys.

There is no way to insure all of trucks and vehicles. Someone can just hold you up at gun point before you leave to head home and take all the trucks and gear. Nothing you could do unless you have armed guards to fight back or make sure nobody messes with you.

We had finally decided to do this race and were being told this by other teams. So we were going to get our own guards with another team. then I thought to myself if I need armed guards to race maybe I should not be racing. It's not the race fans or the people of San Felipe that I worry about. It's the long drive north back to the border that can be risky.

I was not worried about Covid at all, just about getting robbed and not being able to defend ourselves. I could only insure our race truck and trailer for $100K so if it got stolen we would be screwed.

Mike
I'm friends with Jason Blanton

[ Ultra4 racer who races KOTH, he was top qualifier until Power Hour this year ]

who was worried about such a thing for last year's 2019 San Felipe Ultra4 race. I.e., if he lost his race-car, he would be screwed.

However, I wandered into the race as I was returning north from NORAA 1000. Everything seemed fine. I went to Pete's Camp, & that Ultra4 team from Texas had their RV there. They were eating at the restaurant. I went to the Awards, everyone seemed to be relaxed. I was 1 of the last to leave, & my 4x4 in the parking lot across the street was undisturbed (not stolen!)

I was at Casa Mar, sitting with some gringos. 1 guy was a retired Hollywood film guy (producer) living in SF. Interesting guy, we exchanged contact info. The woman (living south of SF on the beach) told me that her pickup truck got stolen, & she saw it driving around. She didn't care to pursue getting it back

Only thing, was seeing some people begging for food:

"Can you give me something to eat? I'm hungry"

I gave him a bag of potato chips. I saw a young homeless girl at 2019 SF 250 which kinda shook me up. See pic. Another guy intercepted me as I left a Chuy's restaurant, wanting food.

At 2019 San Felipe 250, Doug Hayduk (media) mentioned over FB that his motorbike (mounted on back of his Suburban got stolen). Now, THAT is something to be concerned about!! They are going for "offroad toys"

I'm sitting here, wanting to go down. I'm working on my 4x4 (rock crawler), which has some NICE parts. As per above, I CANNOT AFFORD to lose it! I always sleep in the car, so it would be hard to steal it. However, with top teams pulling out, I'm thinking of not going down. Missing some top teams, means the race loses "value" for me. I want to go down there to "shake down" my rock crawler. Plus, hit the restaurants for seafood. I need to get out to break the Covid19 lockdown blues. I was in Death Valley (Dante's View) for 10 days, lived out of the car (brutal!). See pic

I met a couple (Stanford alumni) who flew down in their powered glider (VW Type 4 motor). They were looking for Norra 1K racers at the SF start line, to trailer the motor to their El Dorado house. If anyone is looking for a secure place, contact me. As I rolled into SF (& ran into U4 San Felipe race) during my NORRA 1K return north, they emailed me

Attachments

Last edited:

MTPyle

Reaction
If you do not mind me asking what is the ballpark price for their service?
I didn’t get the cost. My buddy who races TT had got a quote and said it wasn’t much (that’s all relative haha). I think he said it was a couple grand for the week. Or maybe that was my part but not totally sure.

Mike

Honda48X

Reaction
Lol come on you guys. The route to and from El Dorado Ranch is safe. It is a hwy that is 114 miles straight down from the border. If you’re that nervous then I would stay home. If you think you can handle it I will be in Colexico Sunday morning and we can meet in the Costco parking lot and drive down together.

Honda48X

Reaction
We had a team van stolen in Ensanada at the 2016 1000 lost 20k of gear and belongings, they caught the guy thanks to social media, turned out he was from LA !!!
I
From LA. Lol. So true. Another point is San Felipe is not Ensenada. There are always going on to be bad people. Look at what happened to those Sheriffs in California. Sad all around.

Last edited:

MTPyle

Reaction
Lol come on you guys. The route to and from El Dorado Ranch is safe. It is a hwy that is 114 miles straight down from the border. If you’re that nervous then I would stay home. If you think you can handle it I will be in Colexico Sunday morning and we can meet in the Costco parking lot and drive down together.
I am sure it’s safe when not towing a race truck and tons of high dollar racing gear.

I know of 3 teams that have hired guns for B500. These teams are very experienced. If they think there is a need to have security than I for sure would need it. I was actually kind of surprised when I heard teams were getting armed guards.

This is the first high profile race with high dollar gear going down. I hope people are just overreacting and there are no issues. I am planning on the B1k and want to see the B500 a success.

Mike

OFFRD-JNKIE

Reaction
I am sure it’s safe when not towing a race truck and tons of high dollar racing gear.

I know of 3 teams that have hired guns for B500. These teams are very experienced. If they think there is a need to have security than I for sure would need it. I was actually kind of surprised when I heard teams were getting armed guards.

This is the first high profile race with high dollar gear going down. I hope people are just overreacting and there are no issues. I am planning on the B1k and want to see the B500 a success.

Mike
If your're planning on running the BK1 you should try to come down for the 500 as a spectator or hang out with a team just to get a feel for Baja so that you're more comfortable in November.

DG_BTI

Reaction
just wow, haven't seen or heard this kind of paranoia in a while. Ever since they would stitch your face to a soccer ball! Its not rocket science. Travel in the day light and together with your crew. So easy. It's almost funny to read this stuff. Stuff happens everywhere. Prepare yourself and use your head. Even at home!

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Pyle- them taking your racing stuff is secondary to them taking you if you look like a high dollar kidnap victim waiting to happen. That is the key. Race trucks and tools can be sold for pennies on the dollar, but ransom pays full price. That is what you need to understand. Any celebrity ALWAYS travels with security... EVERYWHERE on this planet pretty much.

bajafox

Accepted
Reaction
just wow, haven't seen or heard this kind of paranoia in a while. Ever since they would stitch your face to a soccer ball! Its not rocket science. Travel in the day light and together with your crew. So easy. It's almost funny to read this stuff. Stuff happens everywhere. Prepare yourself and use your head. Even at home!
Seems like this is a topic of conversation for almost every race in Baja but this one seems to be more paranoid than recent ones. Not once have I ever heard of anything happening between Mexicali/San Felipe. Worst things I've seen and heard of on that road is drunks rolling their vehicles. This is actually the first time I've heard of private security being hired, I'm sure it's happened before but it was never said on here publicly.

I'm happy to say my truck(s) have only been broken into once, and it was in Otay Mesa.

MTPyle

Reaction
Pyle- them taking your racing stuff is secondary to them taking you if you look like a high dollar kidnap victim waiting to happen. That is the key. Race trucks and tools can be sold for pennies on the dollar, but ransom pays full price. That is what you need to understand. Any celebrity ALWAYS travels with security... EVERYWHERE on this planet pretty much.
Bro

I agree, that’s why I said if I was a golden child like Bryce I would be super nervous down there.

Fact is trucks, trailers, and race trucks have been getting stolen in Baja since racing started. It’s not a new concern. It’s just higher risk with a worse than ever economy.

Anyone can sit back and say I should not be worried but we all have our risk and reward balance and for me having my chase truck, trailer, and race truck stolen would be devastating.

I carry a firearm with me at all times in the USA to help protect against this kind of risk. That’s why we are called Strapped racing, not just because we are strapped for cash. Haha. Can’t do that in Mexico and the thief’s know it.

Mike

Last edited:

bajafox

Accepted
Reaction
That's IG, my wife sent me the FB video, it didn't have that caption on it (at least not that I saw)

cjohnson

Reaction
If I was going down Sunday I would take you up on that offer. I'm headed down Tuesday the 22nd if anybody wants to tag along. I'll be crossing at Calexico/Mexacali too.

randy68

#1 Enemy of Google
Reaction
I know a couple of teams (big ones) that take security REAL serious down there.

chino

Reaction
I am a "local" as often called here, and i am amazed to see some of the coments here regardind the hired security and safety concerns.

I really dont think the "bad guys" are dumb or stupid enough to kidnapp an US Citizen in mexican soil and demand a ransom for them, just imagine the repercutions, by that standard there are 2 mexican teams racing this Baja 500 so do they have to hire security also, are they at high risk also ?

Word of advice if you feel that unsafe try to take every precaution you can, but dont bring guns here as you can get in a lot of trouble for it, i think this hired security are provided here in Mexico.

I am aware that it have been incidents before like the one that happened to the McMillin Team, but i just dont see someone stealing a TT and putting for sale even in the Black Market, again it will draw attention they dont need.

I am a member of a race team that has been racing SCORE for a long time and we are not racing this year, so good luck to everybody that its racing and for the ones that have plans to attend stay safe and take your safety measures that you seem fit and you will be ok.

Last edited: