• Forum membership has its advantages....

2020 BAJA 500

9rocky

I am not saying it will happen in July, that is just my opinion. It may still go on the June date as planned. Just pure speculation on my part. Just repeating what JoseG said that they had "plan B".

Laurie

I am not saying it will happen in July, that is just my opinion. It may still go on the June date as planned. Just pure speculation on my part. Just repeating what JoseG said that they had "plan B".
I'm completely aware that you didn't say it was being moved to July. I guess I'll contact Jose directly.

9rocky

Ben77

Screenshot_20200421-191909.png

Hmmm, doesnt Pre run usually happen like Mid May (would be Late may w different Date).

Seems to be tougher now

MTPyle

Man that’s not good. I wonder how bad it really is down there?

I have had enough crap news this week and it’s only Tuesday. Haha. I don’t need to hear the 500 is canceled.

BajaJT

I spoke to a friend who lives in Serenade yesterday and he told me there were 20 cases of Covid there and the city officials we makeing sure it stayed that way by locking down the city.

mxben

If the July date sticks will the first weekend of pre running be the 4th of july?

Most of my crew will not be able to make that - hopefully the week prior can be utilized.

mxben

Any feel on how Baja in particular are handling the situation with the flu? Any locals down there that know the real scoop and not what the media is trying to portray?

Really wanting this July date to happen. More risk in racing then dying from the flu.

ekozy39

Any feel on how Baja in particular are handling the situation with the flu? Any locals down there that know the real scoop and not what the media is trying to portray?

Really wanting this July date to happen. More risk in racing then dying from the flu.
I guess calling it the flu is your way of making light of COVID. That is your choice, but if this race this does happen I hope all those visiting Mexico (not our country) , Ensenada and all surrounding cities respect that we are visitors and should not disrespect the locals by doing things we all know will put them at risk. In these small towns healthcare is not great and things that we write off as "flu" are much more in those environments.
Comparing chance of dying in a race car that we choose to be in versus a poor vendor who is infected b/c of someone's lack of care is not a fair analogy.

joshmx88

I guess calling it the flu is your way of making light of COVID. That is your choice, but if this race this does happen I hope all those visiting Mexico (not our country) , Ensenada and all surrounding cities respect that we are visitors and should not disrespect the locals by doing things we all know will put them at risk. In these small towns healthcare is not great and things that we write off as "flu" are much more in those environments.
Comparing chance of dying in a race car that we choose to be in versus a poor vendor who is infected b/c of someone's lack of care is not a fair analogy.
You sound like the type of person that voted for obama.

mxben

I don't think I plan on sneezing in the taco artists face. But ya aside from skipping contingency and a closed tech I think we could make it happen down there with little issue. I think the locals are the biggest threat to themselves in the way they gather around the course. Its not like we have some unique strain...

Either way. You didn't answer one of the questions I asked.

Sdracer

If the July date sticks will the first weekend of pre running be the 4th of july?

Most of my crew will not be able to make that - hopefully the week prior can be utilized.
RECORD is currently scheduled to have their Ensenada to San Felipe race that weekend before July 4th. (June 26-28)

ekozy39

I think you were asking about the situation.. My car is prepped in Ensenada, so I talk to my guys at least every 2-3 days and check in. The number of actual sick people (not cases) last time I asked was relatively low. They also locked non-locals out of the city for a while. TJ has seen some strain on the hospital system.. But are people dropping dead in the street, no. I do think they have a done a good job managing at least Ensenada and south.
I want to race too, no matter what side of the fence you're on about the virus and it's severity my point was that people act respectfully. Sneezing in someone's face is an extreme example of disrespect , but I'm sure they thank you for that.

Last edited:

Bro_Gill

The virus is already there and it is having a similar effect to what it did here. Thinking that racers would be bringing the virus there in 2 more months is a bit of a stretch. Not just that, but WHO and other worldwide health organizations are already saying the loss of revenue and income is going to kill way more people than the 'flu' virus is killing, maybe even by the end of 2020. So if more of them will starve to death rather than die of the 'flu' as long as we don't go there and sneeze in their faces, it's is OK with you? Wondering how much respect you have for your fellow racers.

ekozy39

The virus is already there and it is having a similar effect to what it did here. Thinking that racers would be bringing the virus there in 2 more months is a bit of a stretch. Not just that, but WHO and other worldwide health organizations are already saying the loss of revenue and income is going to kill way more people than the 'flu' virus is killing, maybe even by the end of 2020. So if more of them will starve to death rather than die of the 'flu' as long as we don't go there and sneeze in their faces, it's is OK with you? Wondering how much respect you have for your fellow racers.
Respect for fellow racers? You lost me there. No one will agree and this isn;t the place to debate it. Let's see what happens leading up to July.