2020 BAJA 500

randy68

#1 Enemy of Google
Reaction
I am a "local" as often called here, and i am amazed to see some of the coments here regardind the hired security and safety concerns.

I realy dont think the "bad guys" are dumb or stupid enough to kidnapp an US Citizen in mexican soil and demand a ransom for them, just imagine the repercutions, by that standard there are 2 mexican teams racing this Baja 500 so do they have to hire security also, are they at high risk also ?

Word of advice if you feel that unsafe try to take every precaution yo can, but dont bring guns here as you can get in a lot of trouble for it, i think this hired security are provided here in Mexico.

I am aware that it have been incidents before like the one that happened to the McMillin Team, but i just dont see someone stealing a TT and putting for sale even in the Black Market, again it will draw attention they dont need.

I am a member of a race team that has been racing SCORE for a long time and we are not racing this year, so good luck to everybody that its racing and for the ones that have plans to attend stay safe and take your safety measures that you seem fit and you will be ok.
P.S. I should have mentioned that they take it real serious up here too.

mxben

Reaction
I have heard of many teams that get armed and trained guards to meet them at the border and stay with them until they leave Mexico for this race. I don't think teams have done with is the past. The fear is with the economy so bad there are some desperate bad guys.

There is no way to insure all of trucks and vehicles. Someone can just hold you up at gun point before you leave to head home and take all the trucks and gear. Nothing you could do unless you have armed guards to fight back or make sure nobody messes with you.

We had finally decided to do this race and were being told this by other teams. So we were going to get our own guards with another team. then I thought to myself if I need armed guards to race maybe I should not be racing. It's not the race fans or the people of San Felipe that I worry about. It's the long drive north back to the border that can be risky.

I was not worried about Covid at all, just about getting robbed and not being able to defend ourselves. I could only insure our race truck and trailer for $100K so if it got stolen we would be screwed.

Mike
More or less, your trippin.

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
Lol. This thread is funny. The actual richest guy in off road racing DGAFs and I’ve never seen their team with security. Probably because he’s not fancy and splashes huge sponsors all over everything he owns.
That's because his security is soooooooo good, nobody even knows they are there.

MTPyle

Reaction
OK fine I am trippin, wouldn't be the first time. Haha

Fact is there are many teams that are hiring armed guards for this race. So I am not the only one "trippin".

Easy for everyone to say someone should not be worried about something. We all have our things we worry about. For me its getting my stuff stolen in Mexico. Again I also worry about it in the USA but I can protect myself and I have trackers on all my stuff. If someone in the states takes it I can call the cops and they will try and find it. Not that easy in Mexico.

Or am I trippin because I carry a fire arm and put trackers on my rigs and trailers? If so then for sure I am trippin.

Good thing about this country is we can choose what we want to do and what risk we are willing to take. For someone to judge the risk level I am willing to take is also their right. But I wont change my mind because someone with zero skin in my game tells me to not worry.

Mike

pdailey

Racer
Reaction

Fact is there are many teams that are hiring armed guards for this race. So I am not the only one "trippin".

Easy for everyone to say someone should not be worried about something. We all have our things we worry about. For me its getting my stuff stolen in Mexico. Again I also worry about it in the USA but I can protect myself and I have trackers on all my stuff. If someone in the states takes it I can call the cops and they will try and find it. Not that easy in Mexico.

Or am I trippin because I carry a fire arm and put trackers on my rigs and trailers? If so then for sure I am trippin.

Good thing about this country is we can choose what we want to do and what risk we are willing to take. For someone to judge the risk level I am willing to take is also their right. But I wont change my mind because someone with zero skin in my game tells me to not worry.

Mike
We never leave assets unattended when we're in town. This is the first San Felipe race for our team and we have team houses inside El Dorado so we're confident that our stuff is secure. We are staying out of town as much as possible.

chino

Reaction

Mike
Whith all due respect i think you are oppening a can of worms here, the key is you are mentioning "Armed Security Guards in Mexico", do you know that even the DEA agents here in Mexico cant carry guns, what makes you think that a "hired security" can ??

If the security hired is provided for someone here in Mexico or by Mexican Nationals whith a permit and autorization to carry guns, will you trust them 100 % i am a Mexican National and for sure i would not trust them and i for sure would due my dilligence checking their background.

I respect your opinions and coments and i at least are not making fun of them, i just want to give you some perspective from someone who lives here in Mexico and also enjoys the same Hobby as you due.

ACME

Reaction
A few observations on the left turns this thread has taken:

A) Don't put yourself in positions that might make you a target (anywhere)
B) If you're worried about Covid, security, border crossings or the heat, just don't go
3) A lot of posts seem to start with "I heard"...
D) It seems it's better to be a broke a$$ed small time racer with poor person problems

PS Most teams-people that do hire personal security don't talk about it openly and it is not noticeable

Tipracer

Reaction
99% of thefts in baja are opportunistic in nature... very rarely are baja racers individually targeted. Back to the b500... it’s gonna be a good one... the course itself will be super challenging to those that make the trip.

MTPyle

Reaction
No one cares why you’re not going to Baja!! Or that you’re not. This thread is about why we are going to Baja. Can we talk about the unicorn Robby and the other bad ass dudes that are going to put on an awesome unlimited show to follow?
Zac,

I know that nobody cares if I am going and or why. I posted about Bryce not going and commented on his security plan and wondered if that was the reason. Tavo also bailed. That seems note worthy.

But I guess I cant post certain things without pissing people off. I guess this place is no place for discussion about things like security risk?

I keep seeing a theme here on RDC there are so many things that are secrets and not supposed to be talked about. LOL I missed the forum rules that said dont talk about Pre- running, cheaters, armed security guards, etc.. I guess all that is reserved for the veterans to keep to themselves and us new guys to learn the hard way.

Also didn't see where this thread was only about who is going. Maybe the OP should have been more clear that we can only post about positive feel good stuff and nothing too real. Haha I guess RDC should only be about Robby and the unlimited guys?

LOL

Mike

Zac Reish

Reaction
No worries mike. I'm going to be dishonest It wasn't directed at you. Security has been discussed a million times. the advice given by the "locals" and Vet's of the sport is legit. You dont needs armed security. if you look like a target you'll be one.

I like some of the threads you create. They are good food for thought but RDC sucks when we are not talking about racing in the "desert racing section". I definitely have no business telling anyone what they should and shouldn't say/post but I was just expressing how i feel every time I look at this thread at the top of the list and was hoping it would have some discussion of lines, draws, who's racing what trucks, pics of trucks, weather, history. Not who's not going and why. Looking forward to fishgistics and pre run pic's. Don't take it personal Mike. I know you're a super nice guy. I just got grouchy. Ignore me. And I'm sorry.

MTPyle

Reaction
Zac,

Haha thanks, mostly I am just jealous and pissed that we are not going to the B500. LOL I want to so bad. So maybe a sick part of me is happy to see others not able to go. :)

To be honest I am kind of bummed about racing in general, things are so messed up with Racing and all this Covid crap. We have no idea what we are racing next season so the uncertainty is killing me. Even the next BITD race is a mess and being moved. Just too much bull crap going on. Haha I need to just focus on work like you said.

We even planned on racing our dirt bikes at the Laughlin BITD race then that got moved and changed, so thats out. We just cant seem to get on the starting line.

Mike

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
Zac,

Haha thanks, mostly I am just jealous and pissed that we are not going to the B500. LOL I want to so bad. So maybe a sick part of me is happy to see others not able to go. :)

To be honest I am kind of bummed about racing in general, things are so messed up with Racing and all this Covid crap. We have no idea what we are racing next season so the uncertainty is killing me. Even the next BITD race is a mess and being moved. Just too much bull crap going on. Haha I need to just focus on work like you said.

We even planned on racing our dirt bikes at the Laughlin BITD race then that got moved and changed, so thats out. We just cant seem to get on the starting line.

Mike
"Never feel sorry for someone with a trophy truck."- Roger Norman

JulioBaeza28

Reaction
Whith all due respect i think you are oppening a can of worms here, the key is you are mentioning "Armed Security Guards in Mexico", do you know that even the DEA agents here in Mexico cant carry guns, what makes you think that a "hired security" can ??

If the security hired is provided for someone here in Mexico or by Mexican Nationals whith a permit and autorization to carry guns, will you trust them 100 % i am a Mexican National and for sure i would not trust them and i for sure would due my dilligence checking their background.

I respect your opinions and coments and i at least are not making fun of them, i just want to give you some perspective from someone who lives here in Mexico and also enjoys the same Hobby as you due.
There are only a few private security agencies in Mexico (the whole country) that provide armed security, I work with at least 10 of those agencies, I do trust them, most of their agents are retired LEO.

mgobaja

Reaction
So consider this also, if you purchase your typical mexico vehicle insurance, and need to file a claim, will they use the fact that there is a current travel advisory in place as a reason to not pay out ?

Also LOTS of companies are requiring employees to self quarantine upon return from another country, for 14 days. How many of those that volunteer for a team can afford that often unpaid vacation if the trip was not required as part of their job ?

Spoke with the person who runs the rentals we have stayed in for 20 years, several of the full time residents are concerned about 2500 people coming to town for a multitude of reasons.

Zac Reish

Reaction
Zac,

Mike
As my friends have told me countless times. Don't complain about a blow job.

ace_photo

GET SOME
Reaction
I have heard of many teams that get armed and trained guards to meet them at the border and stay with them until they leave Mexico for this race. I don't think teams have done with is the past. The fear is with the economy so bad there are some desperate bad guys.

There is no way to insure all of trucks and vehicles. Someone can just hold you up at gun point before you leave to head home and take all the trucks and gear. Nothing you could do unless you have armed guards to fight back or make sure nobody messes with you.

We had finally decided to do this race and were being told this by other teams. So we were going to get our own guards with another team. then I thought to myself if I need armed guards to race maybe I should not be racing. It's not the race fans or the people of San Felipe that I worry about. It's the long drive north back to the border that can be risky.

I was not worried about Covid at all, just about getting robbed and not being able to defend ourselves. I could only insure our race truck and trailer for $100K so if it got stolen we would be screwed.

Mike
You'd be surprised how many run with security and have for years. You've seen them just didnt know it.