2020 BAJA 500

jon coleman

Reaction
99% of thefts in baja are opportunistic in nature... very rarely are baja racers individually targeted. Back to the b500... it’s gonna be a good one... the course itself will be super challenging to those that make the trip.
opportunist love a brand new sawzall& de walt drill used Ounce in the back of a pick up truck in 7- 11 parking lot( yes mine grew leggs and sprinted away.....

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Yep, Arturo knows. There are plenty of teams that roll with security all the time down there. Just cause you don't see guys with ARs walking around someone special doesn't mean there aren't armed security guards within a few feet of the target at all times. Best not to be a target, both as the whale and as the whale's protection.

As far as theft, yeah, don't park your stuff at ANY hotel in Barstow, North Las Vegas, of Compton. Wanna know why?

cynicwanderer

Reaction
I have had stuff stolen in the US(even in my driveway)/Mexico/Canada/Europe... it happens, "things" can be replaced. I have feared for my safety a few times. mostly, in the US on freeways riding a motorcycle in traffic with soccer mom's and contractors on their frickin phones; lives cannot be replaced. I try to avoid those situations. I feel save in most places, because I try not to be douche (ugly american), don't make myself a target and have a general safety based attitude.

Unfortunately, I will miss B500 and maybe B1000 this year, because things are stressful for my family with distance learning (I have both a kid in school and a teacher as a wife), juggling work/staying at home to monitor the kid, and dealing with people who have symptoms of PTSD, because of all this. the races/events I have attended stateside this summer have been weird, because interacting with people has become less enjoyable than in the past and one of the reasons I enjoy racing is the community.

I wish everyone who is able to go to B500 good luck and sympathize with those who can't because of the fallout with the pandemic. stay safe either way.

MTPyle

Reaction
I travel to Mexico often and absolutely love it. I have never felt unsafe. We ran the B1000 2 years ago and felt comfortable with our security and had a blast with the people down there.

Having my race and support vehicles in a Vegas parking lot scares the heck out of me. So this is not about the people of Mexico.

I was recently in Tulum Mexico and the people were amazing. They were so happy we were there and so respectful. I think the people of Baja will be the same. So again this is not about thinking less of the people of Baja.

In the states I have all my gear insured for replacement value, can’t do that in Mexico.

I see a lot of people comparing risk in the states and I agree. Trouble is and can be anywhere. But again in the states I can protect myself and if stuff gets stolen I get a check from my insurance company.

Just wanted to be clear as it seems some think I am scared for no reason or that I think the people of Mexico are a problem. I am not scared and love the people of Baja. I am just analyzing my risk reward balance. Same reason I don’t drive a car that’s not insured in the states. It’s not worth the risk to me.
Mike

Charlietuna

Reaction
So anyone been out prerunning yet?

Can't comment on specific teams/people (because I don't know), but over the past week/weekend, I've seen several racer and pre-runner type vehicles, as well as the Fox truck and trailer traveling over Interstate 8 in the El Centro area and all the vehicles looked like they were coming from being well used in a desert area.

M_Solms

Reaction
I travel to Mexico often and absolutely love it. I have never felt unsafe. We ran the B1000 2 years ago and felt comfortable with our security and had a blast with the people down there.

Having my race and support vehicles in a Vegas parking lot scares the heck out of me. So this is not about the people of Mexico.

I was recently in Tulum Mexico and the people were amazing. They were so happy we were there and so respectful. I think the people of Baja will be the same. So again this is not about thinking less of the people of Baja.

In the states I have all my gear insured for replacement value, can’t do that in Mexico.

I see a lot of people comparing risk in the states and I agree. Trouble is and can be anywhere. But again in the states I can protect myself and if stuff gets stolen I get a check from my insurance company.

Just wanted to be clear as it seems some think I am scared for no reason or that I think the people of Mexico are a problem. I am not scared and love the people of Baja. I am just analyzing my risk reward balance. Same reason I don’t drive a car that’s not insured in the states. It’s not worth the risk to me.
Mike
Ricardo at Baja Sunrise ins has been able to insure a couple vehicles for me with declared value with receipts. One is a UTV.

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
Baja 500 safety measures video.

Mexicali y la ciudad de San Felipe es la ubicación de la 52ª BFGoodrich Tires SCORE Baja 500 Presentada por 4 Wheel Parts. La ciudad está implementando estrictas precauciones de COVID durante la carrera para aumentar la protección de los participantes y espectadores.

ENGLISH: Mexicali and the city of San Felipe, Baja Mexico is the location for the 52nd BFGoodrich Tires SCORE Baja 500 Presented by 4 Wheel Parts. The city is implementing strict COVID precautions during the race to increase protection for participants and spectators.

Tipracer

Reaction
Can't comment on specific teams/people (because I don't know), but over the past week/weekend, I've seen several racer and pre-runner type vehicles, as well as the Fox truck and trailer traveling over Interstate 8 in the El Centro area and all the vehicles looked like they were coming from being well used in a desert area.
Most likely testing in plaster city

43mod

Reaction
Wow what a thread. My wife is heading down sunday morning by herself as usual. If anyone needs an enforcer. I would take un armed security over armed down there. What a s show any firearm could create makes my head hurt thinking about it much less a discharge of one. Taco ? Panchitas up the hill from hotel Don Jesus for empanadas for sure. As for americans bitching about 2500 people coming down they can s m d . 96 aint hot. Sooooooo Looking forward to this trip. Starting in a 1700 jeep speed hoping to finish 🤡😊. To top off the week lets have a debate night dinner at La Morina on the Malicon. It should be a hoot and they make killer margaritas !