2020 BAJA 500

Class10DAN

so after watching most of the fishgistics live stream i heard a key point about hydration, this woman named Julie was talking about ivy hydration before the race. that was something interesting with people like Cameron Steele who use the product and made me wonder if any of you guys use it to, and if so what are your thoughts

Class10DAN

For those that don't already know:

pack 1 gallon per person per day. MINIMUM. That's not considering the heat.

I'd pack ~1.5gal per person per day.

Example:
- 2 people
- 5 day trip
- High Heat expected

2 * 5 * 1.5 = 12 gallons
people were talking about the heat during the race to stay mostly between 93-100 degrees... would you pack more fluid for this type of heat or is you chart for this ideal range?

ekozy39

so after watching most of the fishgistics live stream i heard a key point about hydration, this woman named Julie was talking about ivy hydration before the race. that was something interesting with people like Cameron Steele who use the product and made me wonder if any of you guys use it to, and if so what are your thoughts
I’m interested too. I’m thinking about it for this race, and was reading oral hydration 48hr before is more effective, but if that’s not your thing, then IV is a rapid way to re/hydrate.. curious if IV hydration is the way to go or just what the cool kids do :)

Dustino81

I’m interested too. I’m thinking about it for this race, and was reading oral hydration 48hr before is more effective, but if that’s not your thing, then IV is a rapid way to re/hydrate.. curious if IV hydration is the way to go or just what the cool kids do :)
Julie Boyer and her IV hydration services absolutely works, as I used it during an Ironman run at the ‘19 1K. It’s so much more than drinking some pedialyte few days before the race. Highly recommended.

BrentB

Damn Kozy, you talking about oral 48 hrs before race. Focus on your prerun.
I’ve done the IV several times, I’m not sold. Good luck down there

Bajacolorado

The closure is until Oct. 21 for "non essentials" - anybody need a Chase crew for a water/food.check in stop or just a couple of long term Baja guys who have chased before and are willing to be where needed? .We have a mobile ( and handheld) Ham radio. We are going to try to cross to spectate/crew and camp - but also willing to assist - or is this just an extension of the last "essential " order?
We want to go damn it! Do we need a set of race "papers".

MTPyle

people were talking about the heat during the race to stay mostly between 93-100 degrees... would you pack more fluid for this type of heat or is you chart for this ideal range?
We got IV’s for SS300 and V2R and it was great. We also drank a lot of fluids race week and limited our alcohol intake (the best we could) and we felt great race day. I will do it again for any hotter or longer race. I don’t do well drinking while racing. At V2R I bet I only took 3 sips in 275 miors

there was one section of V2R that felt really hot, it was the hottest I have ever been in the truck. It lasted about 15-20 minutes the cooled down. I can’t imagine being in that heat all day.

Mike

Class10DAN

We got IV’s for SS300 and V2R and it was great. We also drank a lot of fluids race week and limited our alcohol intake (the best we could) and we felt great race day. I will do it again for any hotter or longer race. I don’t do well drinking while racing. At V2R I bet I only took 3 sips in 275 miors

there was one section of V2R that felt really hot, it was the hottest I have ever been in the truck. It lasted about 15-20 minutes the cooled down. I can’t imagine being in that heat all day.

Mike
well whats confusing me is, Is the IV supposed to be a "substitute" to normal water? or is it supposed to be a booster that goes straight to the body without chilling in the stomach for a bit, because due to past experiences when you're in the desert and you feel dehydrated its too late.... so i would imagine you would do your IV supplement and drink normal water prior to the race

MTPyle

I don’t think it’s a substitute for normal hydration. It’s more of a booster to make sure you are 100% hydrated before a race.

They also add vitamins, anti inflammatory, and anti nausea to the IV so you get a complete cocktail to make sure you are ready to race in top form.

for us we do a lot of work race week and just before the race. So it’s hard to stay hydrated race week. So this really helps. We still drink all we can.

I also really like the Body Armor hydration drinks. They have a lot do sugar but do a great job on hydration.

Mike

Ajam1

We have used the IV's for a number of years racing Bikes and it absolutely positively WORKS! We now do it racing cars. Not a question! It's not that you feel all super man or anything, its just that it helps you perform at your peek level the whole time. The key take away is, that after the race if you feel like you could turn around and do it all again... That's the difference, if you feel exhausted after the race, you weren't performing at the level you should have during the race, therefor you are most likely dehydrated. Julie is the BEST! if you're not using her service your not doing everything you can to prepare yourself.

Class10DAN

Why did Cam pull out?
in the fish live stream he mentioned he wasn't going for points this year which was odd, i think if you're gonna race baja you might as well do the 1k and skip the 500 because it reduces prep cost and all the crap, but he is for sure racing the 1k this year

Class10DAN

I don’t think it’s a substitute for normal hydration. It’s more of a booster to make sure you are 100% hydrated before a race.

They also add vitamins, anti inflammatory, and anti nausea to the IV so you get a complete cocktail to make sure you are ready to race in top form.

for us we do a lot of work race week and just before the race. So it’s hard to stay hydrated race week. So this really helps. We still drink all we can.

I also really like the Body Armor hydration drinks. They have a lot do sugar but do a great job on hydration.

Mike
and yes body armor is a quick pick me up if your hydration skills are s**tty like mine... and its coconut water so it hydrates more then normal water, all in all IMO coconut water is a must when out in blazing heat

9rocky

Shelby, Cody, and our navigators have been going to Julie (or Julie coming to them) for a few years now. They know the hydration works. Cody drove the race trailer home from Vegas to Reno right after getting out of the car at RM293 and it was HOT. He said he felt fine.

Goober

in the fish live stream he mentioned he wasn't going for points this year which was odd, i think if you're gonna race baja you might as well do the 1k and skip the 500 because it reduces prep cost and all the crap, but he is for sure racing the 1k this year
When was the last time he missed a race in Baja?