2020 BAJA 500

mig29

I need to break-in my Jeep rockcrawler with 4.5" short-arm lift. Need a desert "fix" for C19 lockdown blues, like mid July Death Valley trip. See pics..MAN the scenery with Comet Neowise! I bought $60 1 year pass, so I might be going back (esp if Baja 500 Covid19 is a bust, see below). This time with Jeep, instead of BMW 325i (e36). A Hollywood pro-videographer showed up with VW awd SUV, he went to "race track" (20 mi drive thru rough terrain, "moving rocks on lake bed"). We became friends, he texted me back that he got a FLAT! I toyed with idea of trying it in my e36, but decided against it

[ I DID bring e36 to 2015 KOTH (a young guy gave me "thumbs up" saying "slam BMW"), got 15" wheels/tires, lowered tire pressure, went to Backdoor & Chocalate Thunder..thru the soft stuff. Dented fuel lines, & under-tray. Hit a huge rock. WILL NOT do this again!! ]

I went north on 15 fwy past Barstow, this time I could try the whoops there. Then, onto Baker/CA, passed the Dumont dunes (this time, go there & play) on the way to Death Valley Junction. On the way back, I went thru West entrance

[ find that place (Rainbow Canyon)

where USAF jets fly REAL LOW!!

]

to Trona/Ridgecrest & Red Rock (north of Mojave). This time, I could try some trails

Did SCORE get an exemption for racers? The Fishgistics LIVE show (2 days ago) said something about a special lane for racers. Was that El Chinero Federali checkpoint (Hwy 5/Hwy 3 intersection) or the USA/Mexico border crossing (Calexico)?

Comments from above article -- border-closure is NOT being enforced. The question is the Federali checkpoint at El Chinero -- they WILL ask for proof of residency (utility bill or F3 thingie)

17 hours ago

The foot boarder crossing in California at San Ysrido is open for Americans wishing to cross. I went no problem 9.8.20 This article reads as if it is closed.

19 hours ago
Technically this add is correct based on what the Mexican government said but this has not been enforced in Mexico at all. Crossing on foot or by car you are not checked or turned away if you say you are going to stay in a hotel or visit family or friends. According to this story that kind of travel is not permitted. In reality it's all for show and if anyone wants to enter into Mexico and think that they will turn you away, think again. It's as easy as before the ban started on March 21st to enter Mexico.

JulioBaeza28

Comments from above article -- border-closure is NOT being enforced. The question is the Federali checkpoint at El Chinero -- they WILL ask for proof of residency (utility bill or F3 thingie)
From what I heard on the Fishgistics live stream there will be a special lane at El Chinero for SCORE racers and chase crews

l.e. shank

Latest info from SCORE -

There will be a the special lane at the Military Check point for SCORE racers going down and coming back. Look for the SCORE banner.
The Sanitary Filter on the Mexican side of the border once you cross into Mexicali will no longer be there as of Monday.

mig29

From what I heard on the Fishgistics live stream there will be a special lane at El Chinero for SCORE racers and chase crews
Jose of SCORE said chase crews have to use the regular (left) lane

BTW, via Tony Tellier:

Firstly

EDR [ El Dorado Ranch ] IS west of the highway. SCORE apparently believes that "LA VENTANA" ... i.e., the condos, the golf course, and the Pavilion is (also) EDR ... not so. Different animal(s).
I.e., the Start is NOT EDR, it's La Ventana

I have friends (couple who are Stanford alumni, who I met at last years NORRA 1000 & Ultra4 San Felipe) who have an EDR place. EDR is WEST of Hwy 5. I also made friends with another family

[ at 2019 SF 250 Contingency, they gave me their cellphone ]

they can get their friends (in this case..me) into EDR. The guards are pretty hard-core on security

ace_photo

GET SOME
Jose of SCORE said chase crews have to use the regular (left) lane

BTW, via Tony Tellier:

I.e., the Start is NOT EDR, it's La Ventana

I have friends (couple who are Stanford alumni, who I met at last years NORRA 1000 & Ultra4 San Felipe) who have an EDR place. EDR is WEST of Hwy 5. I also made friends with another family

[ at 2019 SF 250 Contingency, they gave me their cellphone ]

they can get their friends (in this case..me) into EDR. The guards are pretty hard-core on security
Crazy Bob Yen has gone full Crazy Bob Yen..

The start - is at El Dorado Ranch (EDR)

There is a SCORE lane at the military check point. No residency papers needed to pass.

The sanitary filter (covid temperature check) on the Mexican side of the border once you cross into Mexicali will no longer be there as of Monday.

Its Better in Baja-

burro8

A couple years ago I was very fortunate to see jets fly this canyon in person. It was hair raising unforgettable!!!!!

ace_photo

GET SOME
Ill be spectating around RM150 ish. (close to where the course runs parallel to Hwy.)

In case anybody needs support. Ill have tools and Water
View attachment 218415

This little "track" seems fun. Anybody seen, preran it?
Its part of the area CODE uses for races. Their short course infield area. Lots of good areas to watch out there.