2020 BAJA 500

MTPyle

Reaction
How come nobody is giving these guys crap for not racing the B500? BJ, Cam, Tavo, Andy, etc..

I say I am out and I get all sorts of crap. LOL haha I guess that's part of being a nobody. :cool:

Mike

az_amsoil

Reaction
Perhaps the Andy thing is Red Bull??? Both him and Bryce are not going...I do see Blade Hildebrand is racing the RB OT3 (Dakar UTV), so maybe not IDK.

MTPyle

Reaction
I think if it was a Red Bull issue they both would have bailed at the same time. My guess is both security and fear of getting or spreading Covid. For us it was purely security concerns.

Mike

az_amsoil

Reaction
I think if it was a Red Bull issue they both would have bailed at the same time. My guess is both security and fear of getting or spreading Covid. For us it was purely security concerns.

Mike
IDK, with both Luke and Dan racing, to me it's internal to Andy's program. But WTF do I know, I'm sitting at home and not in Mexico

MTPyle

Reaction
Yes thats interesting. Maybe Andy can jump in here and clear it up? I am sure he has time to sit and read this stuff now, Haha

Andy also didn't race V2R when the other two did.

Mike

mxben

Reaction
Yes thats interesting. Maybe Andy can jump in here and clear it up? I am sure he has time to sit and read this stuff now, Haha

Andy also didn't race V2R when the other two did.

Mike
Wrong.

MTPyle

Reaction
Yes I was wrong it was Silverstate that Andy didn't race. Got them confused. Thanks for catching that.

Mike

Rslhc

Reaction
I commented and asked for some of the reasoning. This is what I got:
Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 1.23.29 PM.png

I actually really get and support the school situation. I have a young one in school and they dont have any travel restrictions for family in place, so im planning to race the 1000. If they did, it would be a hard decision of upending his life and routine yet again this year, all for me to enjoy my hobby

However I can't help but find difficulty in using covid and safety as a reason not to do desert racing. Anniversary trip to Cabo? Sure, cancel it and wait. But we all enjoy an incredibly hazardous and dangerous sport as our enjoyment (or career for some of these guys). They are strapping into a truck to do 120-140mph+ through the desert and are worried that the most hazardous thing to them is COIVD? Dont get me wrong, covid is real and has killed 200k in the states. But unless he is unhealthy and has underlying health conditions, its probably not his biggest risk in racing in baja.

I appreciated hearing RG say on the Fishgistics Pre-Show that he would be down, but he was asking some of his older crew to stay behind over covid concerns. That is using logic and reasoning to the situation. But taking a crew of their size down there, and thinking that covid is the most hazardous thing; not driving fatigued, or a fire, or pre-run accident, or traffic accident, or hitting a cow on the highway, or a dozen other things that can and do happen to offroad teams seems crazy.

As well, I find an interesting form of inconistency in stuff like this. You heard the racing community complain and moan over canceled races and events, and express frustration that they couldnt race, and yet when given the opportunity, so many are saying that they dont want to. Whether its over amplified covid concerns, or even worse, not liking new rules and regulations that these events are operating under; it seems inconsistent and borderline hypocritical. (speaking generally here, I dont recall Andy ever posting anything saying that these events shouldn't be canceled or postponed)

Not picking on Andy here. He simply joins a long line of folks making the same type of decision. I understand every person is different and has their own decision making factors, but at some point, fear-based decision making needs to become a thing of the past. maybe that's something to wish and hope stays behind in 2020 when Jan 1 rolls around.

Last edited:

michael.gonzalez

Reaction
As well, I find an interesting form of inconistency in stuff like this. You heard the racing community complain and moan over canceled races and events, and express frustration that they couldnt race, and yet when given the opportunity, so many are saying that they dont want to. Whether its over amplified covid concerns, or even worse, not liking new rules and regulations that these events are operating under; it seems inconsistent and borderline hypocritical.
Hardly, I feel it was mostly keyboard racers/spectators complaining rather than the racers themselves. Did Andy ever complain about it in the past?

bajafox

Accepted
Reaction
I have an 8 month old at home and my wife had no problem with me going down for this race, the only catch was that she wanted me to quarantine for at least a week before I went back home. Too high of a price to pay for me so I passed on going.

Rslhc

Reaction
Hardly, I feel it was mostly keyboard racers/spectators complaining rather than the racers themselves. Did Andy ever complain about it in the past?
I edited my post as you were writing this. You are correct, in that I do not recall Andy ever commenting in this fashion. Speaking more generally here than about Andy specifically.

az_amsoil

Reaction
We all have circumstances that affect travel right now. I'd love to be in Mexico, but would be forced to spend 10 days (2 work weeks) in quarantine (per my company policy). If it was business travel then I would be paid, however for leisure, I'd have to take those days as vacation or unpaid. I'm sure there are others in this same situation. For those who are down there, as always, be safe and good luck!

J Prich

Reaction
I commented and asked for some of the reasoning. This is what I got:
View attachment 218461

I actually really get and support the school situation. I have a young one in school and they dont have any travel restrictions for family in place, so im planning to race the 1000. If they did, it would be a hard decision of upending his life and routine yet again this year, all for me to enjoy my hobby

However I can't help but find difficulty in using covid and safety as a reason not to do desert racing. Anniversary trip to Cabo? Sure, cancel it and wait. But we all enjoy an incredibly hazardous and dangerous sport as our enjoyment (or career for some of these guys). They are strapping into a truck to do 120-140mph+ through the desert and are worried that the most hazardous thing to them is COIVD? Dont get me wrong, covid is real and has killed 200k in the states. But unless he is unhealthy and has underlying health conditions, its probably not his biggest risk in racing in baja.

I appreciated hearing RG say on the Fishgistics Pre-Show that he would be down, but he was asking some of his older crew to stay behind over covid concerns. That is using logic and reasoning to the situation. But taking a crew of their size down there, and thinking that covid is the most hazardous thing; not driving fatigued, or a fire, or pre-run accident, or traffic accident, or hitting a cow on the highway, or a dozen other things that can and do happen to offroad teams seems crazy.

As well, I find an interesting form of inconistency in stuff like this. You heard the racing community complain and moan over canceled races and events, and express frustration that they couldnt race, and yet when given the opportunity, so many are saying that they dont want to. Whether its over amplified covid concerns, or even worse, not liking new rules and regulations that these events are operating under; it seems inconsistent and borderline hypocritical. (speaking generally here, I dont recall Andy ever posting anything saying that these events shouldn't be canceled or postponed)

Not picking on Andy here. He simply joins a long line of folks making the same type of decision. I understand every person is different and has their own decision making factors, but at some point, fear-based decision making needs to become a thing of the past. maybe that's something to wish and hope stays behind in 2020 when Jan 1 rolls around.
I understand your POV but I would suggest that maybe your premise of relating COVID to the dangers of racing is not quite the right way to frame this. It's not a simple equation of whether climbing in to the race car is more or less safe than getting COVID. If it were that, my guess is every single one of these guys would agree with you and go race. The difference is there is no chance that the risks THEY each assume when getting in to the race car are transferable to their loved ones, associates, etc. The COVID concern is not just about what risk it poses to the individual, but what risks the individual may pose to others if they contract it. A lot of folks have babies, grandparents with medical concerns, etc. My guess is THAT is a bigger concern to these guys than their concerns about just getting it themselves.

Like you said at the end, everyone has to make their own choices based on their circumstances, values, etc but given that frame of mind, I don't see any inconsistency in the logic some folks have used to justify not going this year.

Rslhc

Reaction
@J Prich that is a great point. And you are right, me comparing the two is not a direct A/B comparison. Reading it again, I see that my post does take a little bit of a venting approach of my own frustrations over 2020, covid, and decision making. The reasoning of covid does go deeper than just the drivers being concerned of getting it.

Also, I think that our nation's (worlds?) difficulty of accurately analyzing the risk that covid may present to individuals leads to a wide variety of comfort levels to the risk of covid. My wife has a plethora of health concerns that caused us to initially be very concerned about covid back in the spring. But, as we have seen it work more, as we have watched friends, family members, and co workers get it and recover, our comfort level and amount of fear over covid exposure and contraction has changed significantly. I get that others may not be in that same boat, and some may have bigger issues that would seem to make COVID a bigger risk.

Anyways. I should stop before this becomes a Purple Forum Thread. I guess if I want to rant and vent about COVID I need to go jump in @klaus 's thread in the Purple section. lol

In the end, desert racing is the best sport, racing is dangerous, covid sucks, and I think everyone is ready to find a new stride in a sense of normalcy in 2021.

Last edited:

Goober

Reaction
I’m surprised so many are pulling out after racing V2R. Is crew size that much bigger for the 500?

Last edited:

MTPyle

Reaction
Goober,

Good point. Funny thing was when we were in Mexico they were taking Covid more serious than Nevada was. Maybe its just the fact that it's out of the country? People tend to have more fear about things they dont know and I had a lot of people surprised that we were going to Mexico for a family vacation. but it was fine.

Interesting that most are saying Covid is the reason they are not going. We didn't have any concerns about that when we were deciding if we should go or not. But maybe they saw how un popular my crime reason was and decided it was more PC to blame Covid. :)

Mike

Bajacolorado

Reaction
Mexico is trying very hard to follow guidelines -. more so than here. Ideally this race goes off smoothly and then more will have confidence to hit the 1000. I am going to the the Baja 500 as a spectator- just to be there for it. Unofficially a water station in the middle of nowhere to offer water to bikes etc. .

stephenrjking

Reaction
I understand your POV but I would suggest that maybe your premise of relating COVID to the dangers of racing is not quite the right way to frame this. It's not a simple equation of whether climbing in to the race car is more or less safe than getting COVID. If it were that, my guess is every single one of these guys would agree with you and go race. The difference is there is no chance that the risks THEY each assume when getting in to the race car are transferable to their loved ones, associates, etc. The COVID concern is not just about what risk it poses to the individual, but what risks the individual may pose to others if they contract it. A lot of folks have babies, grandparents with medical concerns, etc. My guess is THAT is a bigger concern to these guys than their concerns about just getting it themselves.

Like you said at the end, everyone has to make their own choices based on their circumstances, values, etc but given that frame of mind, I don't see any inconsistency in the logic some folks have used to justify not going this year.
Reading Andy's explanation, I think it goes even further than that: Like, his daughter would be required to stay at home and not go to school in person for x weeks since she lived in the house with Andy who was out of the country. Basically a whole-house quarantine.

If so, it's not his safety that's the major issue; at least in part, it is his daughter having to miss school so he can go race.

And if that's a significant factor, it takes a man to make that call and my respect for him just shot up a few notches.