2020 BAJA 500

JDDurfey

Reaction
I have heard PAB talk about running the Baja 500 and V2R on the same prep and then do a complete prep for the 1000. It makes sense. I am sure they inspected the front end quite well after V2R to make sure everything was good.

stephenrjking

Reaction
I'm on the "AWD is the future" side of things, and no question Robby's time is impressive, but that course looks really technical, in a way that would disproportionately accentuate the benefits of AWD compared with the 500 miles. And Robby isn't exactly pretending that he can just blow people in that video, either. Still, nice result.

And no winner should feel the need to put an asterisk by their name here. Didn't there used to be races with this few TTs a lot?

cynicwanderer

Reaction
I think this is the probably the case. And think about all the crew members that would be in the same situation. And not only kids school, but how many crew members are volunteers and their employers may have restrictions on people that travel internationally. If I go to Mexico I will be at home for two weeks without pay when I return. Not that I was going, but that would greatly factor into the decision when considering a whole race team. It is one thing to ask for volunteers, but it is completely different to ask them to give up two or more weeks of pay, plus inconvenience their families upon return.
yup, this is the reason many people can't go... I have a school age kid and a teacher spouse, also my work does not allow remote work. so if I catch it, there is a trickle down effect, because my kid and wife have to quarantine and everyone at work I had contact with has to quarantine, etc... at the minimum I would have to self quarantine for 10-14 days away from work (without pay) and family. some work places even fire people if they travel for pleasure/leisure out of town, because of this. multiply this by every member of your team in the same/similar situation.

MTPyle

Reaction
Vegas to Reno is 550ish miles. Most full preps are good for 1500 to 2000 miles. A lot of the TT teams would do a minor prep if their truck was fully prepped before Vegas to Reno. Transmission, 3rd member, shocks, especially if you know you’re going to need a full prep for the Mil regardless of how many miles are on your last prep.
There is no way we would run our truck 2000 miles on one prep and we have half the power they do. Maybe we are over prepping but 1500 miles would be our max on any part before its freshened. Engine we will run 3500-4000 miles. We have 1300 race miles on our truck now and doing a complete prep for Bluewater, fresh everything including engine.

I could see doing a full prep for V2R then light prep for B500. 1000'ish is easy on a prep, obviously they make it that far at the B1000. For some reason I am more worried about prep when going to Mexico. I guess it would really suck to go all that way and DNF because of some part we didn't prep.

After typing this I think I am over prepping right now. LOL

Mike

cavebiker

Reaction
Fire Up, racing in Baja once again. The fuel we all can use to help us stay focused on the life we love racing in Baja! Oh Yes

jon coleman

Reaction
i miss those prep panic sessions, thursday Late, got the part in that afternoon and your leaving fri ,,,,morning(?), BaaAAAAaaa jajaja, fri afternoon buddy

Honda48X

Reaction
You can look at the weather and it is what it is but let me tell you it is friggen hot down here in the direct sun. Been riding a 2019 KTM 500 and that sun hitting you just takes everything out of you. I hope those racing are well prepared for this heat. The lakebeds and there are lots of them are HOT!

jon coleman

Reaction
You can look at the weather and it is what it is but let me tell you it is friggen hot down here in the direct sun. Been riding a 2019 KTM 500 and that sun hitting you just takes everything out of you. I hope those racing are well prepared for this heat. The lakebeds and there are lots of them are HOT!
MAKE SURE BUDDY SYSTEM IS USED AND ALWAYS LET PEOPLE KNOW YOUR ETAs & Routes, never ride alone in that environment

Honda48X

Reaction
Someone asked about RobMac and qualifying. I talked to Score and they said several other TT will be here. They said RobMac will be here but will start from the back.

Last edited:

WALSHMOTORSPORTS

Reaction
i miss those prep panic sessions, thursday Late, got the part in that afternoon and your leaving fri ,,,,morning(?), BaaAAAAaaa jajaja, fri afternoon buddy
Well if you wanna little reminiscing I got some cv’s you can hit the solvent tank on a Friday night if you like! Lol! I hear you, it never fails the last minute thrash!

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
I started a new thread for tracking, live video, weatherman and updates for race day. Contingency is live right now.

sand shark

Reaction
Wonder why Bryce and his Red Bull money hasn't switched over yet. Or more broadly speaking, why haven't the rest of the TT field switched? Is it just too expensive? Not reliable enough yet?
Bryce has two Awd trucks, and you could argue he is the one that started the latest trend of many making the switch. Andy also races in an Awd truck. I believe there are several others that will be making the switch.

michael.gonzalez

Reaction
SF Brewery is a cool spot. Had to help my buddy clean is throttle body in the parking lot.
Good brews when we were in town (March 2018?).
The owner and employees have some neat stories.

E.Hagle

Reaction
How long until SCORE releases the course map for the 1000? 8 weeks away as of today.