• Forum membership has its advantages....

2020 BITD Laughlin Desert Classic. A volunteers storys and rambling

Rcamp99

After the success of the last thread, I figured I’d document me and my girlfriends day working the BITD race on Saturday.
Being paralyzed means some things take me a lot longer than before. I was up at 2am to get my day started to head to the races in Laughlin from Vegas. Needless to say, in typical fashion, I showed up as the first race of the day was running. Met up with the right people and grabbed my official pass for the day. Chyenne threw the tactical recovery equipment rope on the hitch, stopped by my buddies at the Team Patricks Signs Racing pit and dropped off some Go pros, and we headed out on course.

At exactly 8:15am, the skies opened up. We couldn’t believe the size of the rain drops. The second heat of the day ran in nothing but rain.

We were sitting at RX2 when we watched TROPHYLITE #6069 come to a stop right before us, let them sit for a few minutes to see if they’d get going again and didn’t see any movement, so we made our way to them and asked what was wrong, “lost power and it won’t start” they said. Chyenne strapped them up and we towed them back to the pits.

The rain stopped right before heat three started, the big dogs in 1500, and class 10 are about to wage war, and there’s giant new puddles everywhere.
Here’s a photo/video someone else got, just to do justice for how gnarly it was in spots. Lap 1 was absolute carnage with a class 10 going full submarine. Believe it or not after getting out he was able to keep racing!

The smart guys tip toed around the puddles as best they could and didn’t submarine their cars.

James Dean put on an absolute clinic winning the day in his class by almost 5 minutes. Splish splashing the whole way there.

Not much action for us heat three, we just enjoyed the view from some of the best spots on the course. Best in the desert has some of the friendliest volunteers and it’s a true pleasure to work alongside them.

Heat four starts, the 6100’s are doing absolute battle. These guys by far were the show for the day, and the weekend.
We get a spot at RX2 and watch until a call comes in, 6191 has broke and needs a tow in. We head that way and work our way to them. We end up in an amazing spot right next to one of the fastest spots on the course.
These guys end up being hilarious. They hit a spare tire that fell off someone’s truck bending their driveshaft, and breaking their transmission. Ending their weekend. Being all the way from Texas i was Impressed how calm and easy going they were about it! Twisted monkey team you guys are awesome!
Here’s some clips We got from that spot of trucks going by waiting for a clearing to tow the 6191 guys out safely.

At this time, RDC’s very own @MTPyle truck went by with the hood up. Please excuse my excitement in the video haha.

Then we got a gap and towed the 6191 back to main pit. Where we got some photos with them!

We head back out on course, it’s time for the big dogs.
Head to road crossing 1 to watch the leaders and get some videos.
Racing was tight up front until some trucks start breaking and flats started happening!

After that, we headed to check on a broke truck and ended up at RX2 just in time to see loftin losing the overall lead due to changing a flat tire on the highway!

we stayed there through the end of the race just in time for the rain and hail to come back! We watched the #69 the last truck on course pushing through the hail and rain to finish the day!
Chyenne actually got out in the hail to film this

After that we headed home to Vegas and saw a badass rainbow and a beautiful sunset.

Cheers to the next one fellas! Now me and chyenne and the family will go back to working hard on getting our RZR ready for battle at primm. Hand controls are getting finished up and gotta buy some race harnesses. Open to any sponsors that wanna join our program 😂

Rcamp99

The IMGUR videos seem to be acting up on mobile. Someone please let me know if they are working on a normal computer please.

EMS702

Rescue 1
This race, even though we had all the rain problems, was by far the most fun I have had working a race. The way the Volunteers and staff worked together to get the obstacles fixed was amazing. The racing.....By far the best racing i have seen in a long time. Some great door to door racing. Crazy passing in some corners. I think our team had the most fun in along time at this race.

Rcamp99

This race, even though we had all the rain problems, was by far the most fun I have had working a race. The way the Volunteers and staff worked together to get the obstacles fixed was amazing. The racing.....By far the best racing i have seen in a long time. Some great door to door racing. Crazy passing in some corners. I think our team had the most fun in along time at this race.
I completely agree. Some great racing, when I saw It was going to rain saturday I knew I had to make it for atleast the one day. Sad I wasnt there for Sunday, dust free course made for some epic racing. Funny to see how equal the 6100 class is when dust is taken out of the equation. The real drivers rose to the top.

EMS702

Rescue 1
I completely agree. Some great racing, when I saw It was going to rain Saturday I knew I had to make it for a least the one day. Sad I wasnt there for Sunday, dust free course made for some epic racing. Funny to see how equal the 6100 class is when dust is taken out of the equation. The real drivers rose to the top.
I wish I had chosen to video Dean Passing Householder on the turn just outside Hot Pit. It was epic. 6100 for me has become the class to watch. It is all about the driver since for the most part the equipment is the same. Dean started 18th by 2nd lap was 14th on course Third lap was 7th final lap he was the winner. TT was a great race and was decided in the final 2 miles of the race by some broken parts on Smiley,s truck. Reminded me of some of the old days in Laughlin. As for the rain. It proved who had talent and could drive in any condition.

Rcamp99

I wish I had chosen to video Dean Passing Householder on the turn just outside Hot Pit. It was epic. 6100 for me has become the class to watch. It is all about the driver since for the most part the equipment is the same. Dean started 18th by 2nd lap was 14th on course Third lap was 7th final lap he was the winner. TT was a great race and was decided in the final 2 miles of the race by some broken parts on Smiley,s truck. Reminded me of some of the old days in Laughlin. As for the rain. It proved who had talent and could drive in any condition.
Here you go 😬