• Forum membership has its advantages....

2020 BITD Silver State 300 Race Updates and Info

dan200

#BSF200
Its not called prerunning. That's not allowed. Its called overlanding, or bird watching or trail riding or anything besides prerunning. And yea, lotsa top racers are really into checking out nature during certain parts of the year and sorta specific locations. LOL

Bricoop

The course was smooth and technical. Zero whoop sections, perfect for UTV. I rode my 450x on the course and went as fast if not faster than in our 6100.

I wish Racing trax would allow a download of data to put in a spreadsheet. Would be interesting to compare sections. But with so much dust it had a huge effect on times. For half of the race I was the caboose in a 4 truck dust train. 6140 qualified pretty well but wasn’t as fast on course. Or maybe I should say we didn’t qualify Well, haha So Lovell caught him and then Householder, then us.

I only know this now after playing back the tracker map. That’s a super cool feature of the racing trax

Mike
I've done analysis like this with Racing trax and Dakar. Like you said, CP-times only tell part of the story, but it's interesting to see who did well in what sections. I might try and put something together for the 500 to see how different classes average against one another. Here's my 2019 Dakar stage 3 example.
1593537704424.png

Looking at SS300, Luke averaged ~1 minute faster between RM150-180 than the rest of the field.
1593537484322.png

stephenrjking

I'm hearing we might see them today.
We talk about how to draw in more fans, but I can't say that a 3-day wait for "official" results is particularly spectator-friendly.
Looking at SS300, Luke averaged ~1 minute faster between RM150-180 than the rest of the field.
Split time analysis like this can actually be really helpful (and one notices that the Thompson truck made up 1:10 between 180 and 210, also interesting). It's the sort of stuff that enterprising communicators can use to bring people closer inside the action.

One of my great disappointments with the Mint 400 livestream (which, overall, was terrific) was that there was no close tracking of splits as the trucks entered the last lap. Jim Beaver even went to some effort to tease watching the lead trucks coming through the pit area, which would at least give accurate and current times as the lead trio entered the final lap, but then the stream failed to show Luke and Bryce coming through and the viewer had no idea if they were even through. A simple exposition of split times, their relationship to corrected time, and an analysis of changes (e.g. was Bryce gaining? Was Arciero pulling away? Who needed to pass whom, and how far ahead did they need to finish?) provides great fodder for analysis using information that should be readily available to everybody even on a budget, and it wasn't there. That's not the fault of any one person (I thought Beaver had the right idea, but the production didn't follow his train of thought) but it's something that producers can work on.

The broadcast redeemed itself when whomever was producing live images chose to focus on the battle midway through the last lap. That heli shot of all three leading trucks winding through the Quarry was spectacular. More of that, please.

J Prich

There’s a whole lot of work post race that takes precedence over getting official results out. Couple day wait isn’t anything new.
Agreed. And given the impact on potential outcomes, an organizer is going to want to make sure they've gotten every bit of info available to make sure they are getting the decisions are correct as they can.

stephenrjking

There’s a whole lot of work post race that takes precedence over getting official results out. Couple day wait isn’t anything new.
Oh, I totally understand. Just observing that people talk about things like consolidating classes and gripe about hard-to-execute media coverage with regard to making the sport accessible to fans. This issue is absolutely one that makes the sport less accessible to casual fans. Right now, 3 days after the race, nobody knows who won.

Which, that’s how it is. It’s a grassroots sport that must remain accessible to the everyday guys that put up the cash to race it, and logistically manageable for the everyday guys that actually sanction the races. It’s not easy to watch, track, or broadcast races that take place over hundreds of miles of barren desert. The struggle of the natural environment is part of the charm.

But, accepting that, it’s worth noting that this is a bigger obstacle to “casual fans” than the fact that it’s hard to explain the difference between, say, four different UTV classes. In one of the RDC discussions on the subject, I saw people argue that class consolidation was necessary for casual fans. But this is a larger issue than that to “casual fans.”

It’s the basic question: you tell your coworker on Monday that you went to a race over the weekend. The coworker asks: “Who won?” The answer: “I don’t know yet.”

Again, in the paradigm where off road is primarily a niche sport oriented toward the needs of grassroots hobbyists, this makes sense. The one-hour highlights show of the race that Mavtv broadcasts in three months won’t have any ambiguity. It’s no biggie. It’s just not an asset to growth.

Slippery P

Funny though @Dave Cole 4454 usually has official results for his competitors and fans within the hour...🤔

Frank13

Agreed. And given the impact on potential outcomes, an organizer is going to want to make sure they've gotten every bit of info available to make sure they are getting the decisions are correct as they can.
Days of clean up and land management to sustain the ability to keep racing in these areas is worth waiting for official results.

As far as any new or casual fans are concerned they going to walk away thinking Kevin/Harley won the race, and if results change cool. They dont dwell on it like us purists. Haha

jon coleman

Oh, I totally understand. Just observing that people talk about things like consolidating classes and gripe about hard-to-execute media coverage with regard to making the sport accessible to fans. This issue is absolutely one that makes the sport less accessible to casual fans. Right now, 3 days after the race, nobody knows who won.

Which, that’s how it is. It’s a grassroots sport that must remain accessible to the everyday guys that put up the cash to race it, and logistically manageable for the everyday guys that actually sanction the races. It’s not easy to watch, track, or broadcast races that take place over hundreds of miles of barren desert. The struggle of the natural environment is part of the charm.

But, accepting that, it’s worth noting that this is a bigger obstacle to “casual fans” than the fact that it’s hard to explain the difference between, say, four different UTV classes. In one of the RDC discussions on the subject, I saw people argue that class consolidation was necessary for casual fans. But this is a larger issue than that to “casual fans.”

It’s the basic question: you tell your coworker on Monday that you went to a race over the weekend. The coworker asks: “Who won?” The answer: “I don’t know yet.”

Again, in the paradigm where off road is primarily a niche sport oriented toward the needs of grassroots hobbyists, this makes sense. The one-hour highlights show of the race that Mavtv broadcasts in three months won’t have any ambiguity. It’s no biggie. It’s just not an asset to growth.
Large portion of my " race fan" days out at Plaster city , i was the winner!!, that is what made this sport the coolest, able to park for free where ever you want, camp, chill, shoot your .22 at All those emptys, throw an old shock absorber into the fire out at Barstow race, yeah you Bart& Brian, most of those races i never knew who won, and i remember lots of first time desert race spectators that were IMMEDIATELY hooked for life. just need to make the racing spectator friendly to keep it strong

One-Eyed Peter

Large portion of my " race fan" days out at Plaster city , i was the winner!!, that is what made this sport the coolest, able to park for free where ever you want, camp, chill, shoot your .22 at All those emptys, throw an old shock absorber into the fire out at Barstow race, yeah you Bart& Brian, most of those races i never knew who won, and i remember lots of first time desert race spectators that were IMMEDIATELY hooked for life. just need to make the racing spectator friendly to keep it strong
True that.

MTPyle

I watched the map replay again and man its amazing how one truck can slow down a group at Silverstate. Basically us and 4 other trucks had zero chance of doing well in this race with one truck holding us all up. There was a huge gap between the truck holding us up and the truck in front of him.

Sucks to spend all the money and time to just get a crap finish because of who you stated behind. So for me this makes qualifying even more important. We are going to work really had on our qualifying results from now on. And now that I know we can destroy our body panels and still start the race its game on.

I dont see how we could have worked our way thru 5 trucks in that dust. Not to make things more complex but they need a Blue flag with orange stripe to wave at someone with a train behind them. I hate to be a complainer but it sucks to have a great truck and get crappy results like we did. We caught up to that group pretty fast and just stayed there.

Edit- I sound like a total B itch here LOL.

Mike

Last edited:

jon coleman

I watched the map replay again and man its amazing how one truck can slow down a group at Silverstate. Basically us and 4 other trucks had zero chance of doing well in this race with one truck holding us all up. There was a huge gap between the truck holding us up and the truck in front of him.

Sucks to spend all the money and time to just get a crap finish because of who you stated behind. So for me this makes qualifying even more important. We are going to work really had on our qualifying results from now on. And now that I know we can destroy our body panels and still start the race its game on.

I dont see how we could have worked our way thru 5 trucks in that dust. Not to make things more complex but they need a Blue flag with orange stripe to wave at someone with a train behind them. I hate to be a complainer but it sucks to have a great truck and get crappy results like we did. We caught up to that group pretty fast and just stayed there.

Mike
lobby bitd to be able to remove body panels as an option for qualification in your class, jeeez, you guys have a big run group, most sanctioning bodys listen, ( i wish I had this problem....

cynicwanderer

Edit- I sound like a total B itch here LOL.

Mike
I thought that BITD was using RacingTrax to implement push to pass in order to improve safety (i.e. instead of nerfing). it seems like if the truck didn't move over after it was caught and signaled, they deserve a penalty. I'm fairly certain that the RacingTrax units have event memory internal to the unit, so it could have been analyzed to show that they ignored push to pass.