2020 BITD Silver State 300 Race Updates and Info

SMS81

Reaction
View attachment 215863

This was the course diversion from what I hear.
I was not in the car, and neither was anyone reading this but I have been around the desert along time and know it is very easy to make a deviation like this as an honest mistake. Think about extreme dust, downed markings, a rapid fork in the road etc, lots of factors. All of us who sit in the left seat have made these mistakes sometime in our career. Is the penalty warranted, absolutely, but to say the guy is a cheater is very far fetched. Like I said, I wasn’t in the car and do not know the conditions they were driving in so I will give them the benefit of the doubt. Great run by Luke, congratulations!

mxben

Reaction
I was not in the car, and neither was anyone reading this but I have been around the desert along time and know it is very easy to make a deviation like this as an honest mistake. Think about extreme dust, downed markings, a rapid fork in the road etc, lots of factors. All of us who sit in the left seat have made these mistakes sometime in our career. Is the penalty warranted, absolutely, but to say the guy is a cheater is very far fetched. Like I said, I wasn’t in the car and do not know the conditions they were driving in so I will give them the benefit of the doubt. Great run by Luke, congratulations!

Pretty lucky spot to have an " accidental " diversion. Maybe your right. Maybe not.

jon coleman

Reaction
no way they did it on purpose, top tt racers dont go down that path, , NOW, if it Was on purpose, banned for life

DG_BTI

Reaction
nice try! sucks for Luke. I know he wanted the win Saturday, not today. He was the fastest truck to run the full course. Accident or not, Luke followed the rules and won the race. He's killing it!

SMS81

Reaction
nice try! sucks for Luke. I know he wanted the win Saturday, not today. He was the fastest truck to run the full course. Accident or not, Luke followed the rules and won the race. He's killing it!
completely agree. Huge Luke fan!! Even more of a piston Pete’s fan😁!!

mebedb1

Reaction
Congratulations, Luke.

I stopped by your pits in qualifying with Andrew, Dusty was down there, and had the pleasure of meeting Mark.
Awesome to shake the hand of an icon in the sport.
I had a look at Dan's truck, love the impact setup, I didn't roam around yours as you were checking coms or something.
So back at our pit, you came by heading to go qualify and I told Dusty, There's the race winning truck.

You owe me a shirt!
Don

mike_osborn

Reaction
IMO...you have not earned the right to press the Push to Pass until you are on the bumper. And yes, people that are jack rabbiting or using it to early are creating the problem of people not wanting to use it or respecting it.

At the 500, I was literally on the bumper, ready to push and used the push to pass, they started to pull over, then I think they realized we were in the same class and took off. I ended up in a rain rut and had to be pulled out trying to catch him again in the dust. I had others using the push to pass a mile behind me. I now look for the car on my bumper before pulling over. If I can't see you in the mirror when the push to pass is pressed, I'm not pulling over and if you are in the same class when I catch you, you will probably get the bumper to prevent the jack rabbiting.
If I recall, RacingTrax recently shortened the distance required for the PTP to signal on the vehicle in front to prevent the long distance issue. I still say its a great technology but people need to give others the benefit of the doubt until proven wrong. If someone jack rabbits you once, you have the freedom to punt them every time after.

As far as "earning" the pass, can you really see anything out your mirror? I sure can't. Someone would have to nearly be touching my bumper for me to see them in the dust.

jon coleman

Reaction
If I recall, RacingTrax recently shortened the distance required for the PTP to signal on the vehicle in front to prevent the long distance issue. I still say its a great technology but people need to give others the benefit of the doubt until proven wrong. If someone jack rabbits you once, you have the freedom to punt them every time after.

As far as "earning" the pass, can you really see anything out your mirror? I sure can't. Someone would have to nearly be touching my bumper for me to see them in the dust.
sixth sense, mirrors in all my motorsports, 4 wheel , were there to verify my gutt feeling, think its from mx days, but yeah, Dont race your mirrors , i think some how if a car gets zapped with 4+ ptp attempts,by the Same car attempting pass on same car in front , it should be a penalty, That will eliminate the rabbiting of jack

Robin Hood

Reaction
If they have earned the spot, you'll see them. If there not thru the dust, then they haven't earned the spot. Working thru the dust has always been part of offroad racing.

ht racing

Reaction
While we're bitching about PTP, I'll throw another one in there. Not only does it seem like no one acknowledges, but it seems like no one hits it anymore. Like you, Mike, I try to play by the rules. If someone catches me and lets me know they're there, I'm moving over - and I'll give everyone that chance once. Last year, a guy was jack rabbiting me. I tried the nice approach 3 times and got jack rabbited each time. I almost got him, but blew a turn and broke a rear axle snout before I could catch him again. This year, I got nailed from behind without a PTP notification, horn, light tap or anything. We were moving at a good clip and all of the sudden, WHAM. It damn near pushed us off the course into some gnarly stuff. I won't name names, but I'm keeping a list and I'll return the favor if I ever get the chance. :)
here is the problem..... as soon as you light them up they nail it and jack rabbit. if you don't and nail them without warning they pull over. we gave up on the pus

MTPyle

Reaction
Harley started the race.

We had planned to change drivers at pit 4 which I believe was Concretes plan. But with the course being shortened to pit 6 we didn’t have time to change crew. So I stayed in. I wonder if they did the same. I saw a pic of Kevin in his race suit on the truck at the finish but maybe he wasn’t in it?

Mike

Frank13

Reaction
So how are speed penalties doled out if they're not checking every racer? Where is speeding recorded?
I believe mile 103 is where the race course crossed over someone’s private land. They had an official there with a radar gun taking down physical notes. It was mentioned over BITD relay about alot of speeding going on, assuming that’s the spot.

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
Harley started the race.

We had planned to change drivers at pit 4 which I believe was Concretes plan. But with the course being shortened to pit 6 we didn’t have time to change crew. So I stayed in. I wonder if they did the same. I saw a pic of Kevin in his race suit on the truck at the finish but maybe he wasn’t in it?

Mike
Yea, I dunno. That's why I posted that it was "what I heard". Harley is my friend and has always been one to race aggressively but also honorably.