2020 BITD Silver State 300 Race Updates and Info

MTPyle

After Caliente there was a short speed zone section that started with silt then went thru some trees. I honestly thought it was 25mph zone. Then I saw the 15mph sign and said oh crap. I think I missed the first sign as I almost missed the turn into the gate and was in panic mode. I was behind two other trucks that were also not going the 15mph so I just stayed on the truck in front of me bumper. None of us 3 trucks got a speed penalty. Probably Should not be saying this on a forum LOL.

I don’t see how they can catch all speeding so I bet they just look for people really speeding. I think us 3 were really thinking it was 25, honest mistake and maybe they figured that.

I will post our go pro footage from this section. It was pretty exciting for us.

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Harley just posted this on FB.

Well the office results are out for the Silver state 300. And a horrible heat of the moment decision during the race cost me a 30 min penalty taking away our teams win and placing us lucky number 13th. I am extremly bummed not only for myself but for the team that put in so much hard work for us to get here.. I completely accept responsibility for my actions and 100% agree with and support @BestInTheDesert decision to apply the penalty. Folks at BITD are and have always been fair with everyone can't be mad at that.
I would like to sincerely like to apologize to Kevin, Brent, Beau and the entire @concrete_motorsports team, volunteers family ,friends, sponsors and everyone who supports us!!
Huge Congratulations to @lukemcmillin83 and the @mcmillinracing team for another big win (in a 2wd)!! Myself and Kevin had so much fun chasing you guys down all day! Thanks for making us push hard made for a very exciting race!! Can't wait to do it again!!

pdailey

Racer

Well the office results are out for the Silver state 300. And a horrible heat of the moment decision during the race cost me a 30 min penalty taking away our teams win and placing us lucky number 13th. I am extremly bummed not only for myself but for the team that put in so much hard work for us to get here.. I completely accept responsibility for my actions and 100% agree with and support @BestInTheDesert decision to apply the penalty. Folks at BITD are and have always been fair with everyone can't be mad at that.
I would like to sincerely like to apologize to Kevin, Brent, Beau and the entire @concrete_motorsports team, volunteers family ,friends, sponsors and everyone who supports us!!
Huge Congratulations to @lukemcmillin83 and the @mcmillinracing team for another big win (in a 2wd)!! Myself and Kevin had so much fun chasing you guys down all day! Thanks for making us push hard made for a very exciting race!! Can't wait to do it again!!
Stand up guy. Much respect.

cynicwanderer

I believe mile 103 is where the race course crossed over someone’s private land. They had an official there with a radar gun taking down physical notes. It was mentioned over BITD relay about alot of speeding going on, assuming that’s the spot.
I got a speed penalty in Pit#1. my MotoTrax beeped and I looked down and was going like 30mph. I don't know if someone was there with a gun, or if the MotoTrax logged it. RM103 was close to the old raliroad trestle near Pit#3. there were plenty of officials around there and a lot of penatlies.

Screenshot from 2020-07-01 19-01-31.png

Last edited:

desertspeed

I believe mile 103 is where the race course crossed over someone’s private land. They had an official there with a radar gun taking down physical notes. It was mentioned over BITD relay about alot of speeding going on, assuming that’s the spot.
Yep. We had a GPS issue leaving pit 3. As soon as we took off both GPS units lost signals and showed 0 MPH. We had never experienced that before so we were trying to mess with them at the same time we were driving over the trestles and through the speed zone.

The funny thing is we left pit 3 on the ass of a UTV. We stayed behind it through all of the zone until the GPS came back and we were at 39 mph. The UTV was still pulling away when I hit the brakes 😁

I did get a 6 min penalty there. I just hope the UTV did as well....

Last edited:

desertspeed

After Caliente there was a short speed zone section that started with silt then went thru some trees. I honestly thought it was 25mph zone. Then I saw the 15mph sign and said oh crap. I think I missed the first sign as I almost missed the turn into the gate and was in panic mode. I was behind two other trucks that were also not going the 15mph so I just stayed on the truck in front of me bumper. None of us 3 trucks got a speed penalty. Probably Should not be saying this on a forum LOL.

I don’t see how they can catch all speeding so I bet they just look for people really speeding. I think us 3 were really thinking it was 25, honest mistake and maybe they figured that.

I will post our go pro footage from this section. It was pretty exciting for us.
Mike, I was stuck in a train of slower vehicles through that section and almost missed the 15 mph sign too. It was flour silt and I could barely see my hood, let alone anything else.

i think the RM 103 speed zone was before that.

Goober

Play with fire and you get can get burned. Either way Kevin made up 2 minutes in 40 miles on Luke, very impressive. Had no idea how fast he was. Sad thing is they more than likely would have won if Harley didn’t deviate.

MTPyle

Here is a in car of us behind Terry out of Caliente.

this seemed way more intense at the time. I remember it very different than the video shows

this is the first time I have been behind someone in the dust trying to pass

yes I know I was speeding in the 15mph zone.

Terry broke my GoPro. Haha.

at the time I thought I was on his ass and he should have moved. After watching the video I am not sure. I still think I was close and really didn’t want to crash him. He knew we where there. We had been behind him since RM35

let me know what you think. You won’t hurt my feelings.

Mike

cubed

First thing I noticed:
Go back to your fuel barrel thread, watch the fire video, then ask your co dog how he's going to get his belts off with the skin burned off his fingers.......

On the other subject, I dont think I would have let you by..........without a tap.......

MTPyle

Cubed

I thought the same thing when I watched our in car. Our truck as been on fire, in fast last years Silverstate race. If my boys didn’t have gloves on it would have been way worse. Nick started with gloves.

I need to have a talk with Nick my Co dog about the gloves and the value of them.

Also just so you know we were in dust and could not see the water crossing. It was a shock to both of us when the water hit.

I think I would have moved over. In fact I have moved over for other racers in the exact scenario. I caught Terry early on. He held me up for 70 miles. I would never hold a truck up for that long. That being said I never hit him so maybe that’s what he wanted. And he was stuck behind a truck.

watching this video I wonder if he was baiting me on these corners?

Mike

Last edited:

SMS81

this seemed way more intense at the time. I remember it very different than the video shows

at the time I thought I was on his ass and he should have moved. After watching the video I am not sure. I still think I was close and really didn’t want to crash him. He knew we where there. We had been behind him since RM35

Mike

1. UPR sells a great siren, go buy it. I guarantee he never heard your horn.
2. You need to get to his bumper and stay there, dust will clear as you approach. If you lag back after you have caught someone, all he will see in the mirror is dust and will assume he left you again, if you stay on his bumper he can’t make that mistake. Remember it sometimes takes a lot of time to find a place to pull over, if your not there when he finds that spot, he’s not pulling over.
3. You have a front bumper for a reason.

Truck looks great by the way, much better than it’s previous life!!

y2kbaja

4. Stay right on His bumper, when he brakes for a turn use him as your brake, he gets punted, err, pushed straight, you get brakes and make the turn and pass. Scares the crap out of them.
5. I didn’t see dust lights in the video, are they on or just so dim they can’t be seen? Like a 1600 car. Once you see the light be like a bull to the red cape and do 1-4 above.

Rcamp99

Mike

around 4:20ish at the resume race speed sign you should of been beating his back bumper off. He won’t move unless you start hitting him. After 25-30 miles in the dust you should of given plenty of love taps. Eventually you just stand on it and take him for a ride. Stop playing nice, they aren’t. If he isn’t going fast enough to catch the truck infront of him and pass, but you are fast enough to pass him. He can let you go, then you can go get by the truck he can’t get around. That’s the way I look at it at least. Lots of people wouldn’t move over this race, some trophy trucks ruined the 6100 class by not letting some trucks by. It was just where you caught them that mattered if you could get by or not.

You’re a nice dude mike, but it’s time to start using that front bumper to move people if they aren’t moving for you.

jon coleman

Cubed

I thought the same thing when I watched our in car. Our truck as been on fire, in fast last years Silverstate race. If my boys didn’t have gloves on it would have been way worse. Nick started with gloves.

I need to have a talk with Nick my Co dog about the gloves and the value of them.

Also just so you know we were in dust and could not see the water crossing. It was a shock to both of us when the water hit.

I think I would have moved over. In fact I have moved over for other racers in the exact scenario. I caught Terry early on. He held me up for 70 miles. I would never hold a truck up for that long. That being said I never hit him so maybe that’s what he wanted. And he was stuck behind a truck.

watching this video I wonder if he was baiting me on these corners?

Mike
its a common trick in road racing,brake/ turn in/ ' wrong' entry line so You blo corner ,wouldnt doubt it, nice video, this race looks fun, be better at nighto_O

jon coleman

1. UPR sells a great siren, go buy it. I guarantee he never heard your horn.
2. You need to get to his bumper and stay there, dust will clear as you approach. If you lag back after you have caught someone, all he will see in the mirror is dust and will assume he left you again, if you stay on his bumper he can’t make that mistake. Remember it sometimes takes a lot of time to find a place to pull over, if your not there when he finds that spot, he’s not pulling over.
3. You have a front bumper for a reason.

Truck looks great by the way, much better than it’s previous life!!
yup, get and stay ON his bumper, then co dawg stop race notes, then switch on 'kill mode', and drive through His window, ie He's now your navigator , tap, once, then Stay there till he makes Right decision, ive only done it twice at speed , scary as hell, because now Your in front, dont squid out