• Forum membership has its advantages....

2020 BITD Silver State 300 Race Updates and Info

mebedb1

Update on 6196, 3 cone penalty.
Fortunately we had helicopter footage of our, Andrew & Julio's, Q run and verified all 3 cones were down
prior to our run, and were not reset. We showed the footage to Donald and had the penalty reversed.
Unfortunately, we were placed in the 12th starting position when the Math shows we should have been placed in the 11th starting position.
I'll leave that to y'all to speculate the reason.

We did have a good run, running 2nd on corrected thru Rm 90, started having vapor lock issues at around Rm 70 and until we got the truck fueled at 5, after bleeding the fuel rail at Rm 166 to get back in the race...

Don

Kiwiflyer

Understand your point but even Baja the majority of those courses has been used before, even if they aren't the same sections every year. And while prerunning is allowed, not everyone can afford to take weeks off to go down and pre run so open prerunning doesn't exactly level the playing field either. Nature of the beast.
But at least you ha
My guess is nothing would happen, unless you could prove that prerun happened during the period the organization had been permitted for. Like Mike noted, virtually all of the land these courses race on are public land and 98% of the year are accessible to anyone. The "no prerun" stipulation is not about leveling the playing field for guys that can't prerun, it's about liability for the period during which the organizer is permitted for. Once the permit goes in to effect, the org is liable for any kind of incident, course damage, etc. So if you are out there "prerunning" once the permit starts and get hurt, hit someone, chew up areas that the BLM has protected, etc...that falls on the promoter. Hence, no prerunnig.

But again, like Mike said you can come out on roughly any of the other 350 ish days a year and drive up and down and of these courses as many times as you want. But I'm not really sure that creates as big an advantage as you think. My guess is very few actually do. The vast majority are running off of notes they have from last year.

For feces and giggles I'd be curious to know who the person at tech was. Have had similar experiences in the past with a particular individual and wouldn't be surprised if it were the same person.
Just to clarify every single other BITD person we were involved with were awesome.Especially the course workers volunteers etc. They were all super friendly helpful etc. The Dillhole in particular that was just plain inappropriate was apparently the ramp announcer and was incharge of contingency according to him. He was pretty close to being physically assaulted by a member of another team. We are now a small family team and the 10k or so it cost to race in this race comes out of my pocket. We won't complain we just won't spend our money there

J Prich

But at least you ha

Just to clarify every single other BITD person we were involved with were awesome.Especially the course workers volunteers etc. They were all super friendly helpful etc. The Dillhole in particular that was just plain inappropriate was apparently the ramp announcer and was incharge of contingency according to him. He was pretty close to being physically assaulted by a member of another team. We are now a small family team and the 10k or so it cost to race in this race comes out of my pocket. We won't complain we just won't spend our money there
Agreed on the clarification...everyone is great. Except for the person you're talking about and I'm 105% sure that we're talking about the same guy. Could probably start a separate thread just of stories about that individual, lol. Funny to me because several years ago we had a very similar interaction with that person at tech for V2R, exactly as you described, and he was yelling at my wife with our 4 year old kid.

Slippery P

I suppose nothing marks the official return to racing better than a healthy dose of race drama!
Yes, the incident at pit 3 would result in a straight DQ...

Vdrive

Does anyone remember when SCORE finally grew a pair and slapped everyone with penalties the tracker showed??
It was so upsetting to all of the "front runners" when they got put in place for what they had been doing.
Im getting tired of seeing my competitors reel me in during the pits. We dont have an ignition interruption system so
we go 24 mph as best as possible and never speed in pits as best as possible.
I left Caliente with no one behind me as far as I could see but by the time the speedzone was over there were 2 guys on my bumper.....they were not there when we came in to the pit so How does that work? Where are these Radar Guns at?

J Prich

Does anyone remember when SCORE finally grew a pair and slapped everyone with penalties the tracker showed??
It was so upsetting to all of the "front runners" when they got put in place for what they had been doing.
Im getting tired of seeing my competitors reel me in during the pits. We dont have an ignition interruption system so
I left Caliente with no one behind me as far as I could see but by the time the speedzone was over there were 2 guys on my bumper.....they were not there when we came in to the pit so How does that work? Where are these Radar Guns at?
Even if you have one, it's kind of a cat and mouse game. Especially for long speed zones. Unless you have several, in each speed zone, it's really hard to work. I mean something is better than nothing obviously but...unless you're going to pay a ton for a tracking system that updates like every two seconds, it's pretty hard to enforce really.

MTPyle

VDrive,

I agree. but without a good system to measure speeding its a problem. Last year we found out like you did that some guys just went a few miles an hour over the speed limit and never got caught. At last years mint I was half way thru a pit when another truck came into the pit and by the time we got to the end they were on our tail.

I think Racing Trax should build in data storage of when you go over and maybe you get one freebie but the second time you go over it adds a light that you can not reset. Then at the finish line they check to see if that light is on, if it is they check the data and see what you did and how many minutes you should be penalized.

We have the tech. The issue is if guys can just turn off their trackers it won't work. Everyone was shown this race how to turn off the trackers after qualifying. Another issue is some of the trackers just dont work as installed. We have had two trackers fail during a race. That would not be fair to DQ us at those races when it was not our fault.

Speeding is a complex problem to solve. Maybe random radar guns would help but then you have a subjective system where if they guy thats pointing the gun likes the guy thats speeding than he might not saying anything. No system is full proof.

Mike

Vdrive

Why don’t I let my crew do it....Someone said earlier you have to prove things in order for them to take your protest seriously so why not film it and use a radar gun in the video shot at the same time. Hmmm...

DZRTCHS1

We’re you working the checkpoint? Or just a spectator?
Just a spectator at this one. Normally I do run checkpoints or road crossings so I know the protocol on issues like this. Normally we would write down the number on our paperwork instead of tieing up the channel but since I was not a course worker I called it in but didn’t get a reply. There was other more important radio traffic going on at the moment so I didn’t interfere with that. I figured the people that were working the road crossing seen it and documented it.

J Prich

VDrive,

I agree. but without a good system to measure speeding its a problem. Last year we found out like you did that some guys just went a few miles an hour over the speed limit and never got caught. At last years mint I was half way thru a pit when another truck came into the pit and by the time we got to the end they were on our tail.

I think Racing Trax should build in data storage of when you go over and maybe you get one freebie but the second time you go over it adds a light that you can not reset. Then at the finish line they check to see if that light is on, if it is they check the data and see what you did and how many minutes you should be penalized.

We have the tech. The issue is if guys can just turn off their trackers it won't work. Everyone was shown this race how to turn off the trackers after qualifying. Another issue is some of the trackers just dont work as installed. We have had two trackers fail during a race. That would not be fair to DQ us at those races when it was not our fault.

Speeding is a complex problem to solve. Maybe random radar guns would help but then you have a subjective system where if they guy thats pointing the gun likes the guy thats speeding than he might not saying anything. No system is full proof.

Mike
Definitely along the lines of what I was alluding to. The Mint has several long speed zones. The bridge area is really long and even Pit A is really long. Even if you had a radar gun in there somewhere...where do you put that person? There's realistically not enough manpower to to have people all over these areas doing that all day. Sure you could randomly move that person every hour or whatever so no one knows where they are set up but that's still not a sure thing. Let's be honest, if you pass the radar gun and you still have 1/2 mile or whatever or speed zone...what do you think some drivers are going to do?

The problem with the trackers, any of them from what I can tell, is that the more frequent you ping the more money they cost. And it cost goes up...a lot. Even with a ping every 60 seconds that's a big gap. And going back through every tracker for every speed zone for every vehicle after a race is not reasonable either. I don't claim to know how SCORE does it but having a real time or near real time tracker that automatically triggered an alert if the speed went over in speed zones would be amazing. Then the org doens't have to go back through every single tracker and review every single zone...just flag the ones that the tracker pinged alerts on.

And even THEN....still not a guarantee because A) trackers are fallible and B) trackers can be manipulated. Definitely a tough nut to crack. Not a reason to not do anything about the issue, just suggesting that it's really hard to get something that is 100% or even like 90% effective.

Maxton

The incident at pit 3 was driving backwards on course.

#70 drove right past his pit spot at pit 3, and made the right out of the pit area. He must have realized he had a tire going down, cause several seconds later, he came backwards back into the pit, and pulled a 180 brody into his pit stall to let his guys change a rear tire.

I happened to be there to see it. I am surprised there wasn't an official to see it as well. I think there was a road crossing just after the pit area.

jon coleman

i broke a lower control arm at Parker 12' drove off course about 50 yards off, back to pitt, about a mile, ChEcKeRs fixed it, finnished race. no penalty, wunder if that was a no no at the time, asked guy in pits, he kinda looked at me like no, you Didnt drive backwards , that was that