pdailey

Racer
Reaction
Thank you Best in the Desert. I will make sure Team Honda will be following all the rules set forth. We appreciate your hard work. Like what's been said before, please adhere to the rules set forth for the 2-3 days that we're there. The future of the sport depends on the actions from all of us. I won't be afraid to call you out and vice versa. We must police ourselves.

MTPyle

Reaction
We will follow the rules also. But it needs to be said that this is so dumb. Our team is already with each other. Having guys pit in 100 degree weather with a mask is not good. There is more risk in overheating people and them fainting than getting COVID.

I totally get it while you are just walking around people you have not been working with. But doing physical activity in extreme heat with a mask is a bad idea.

this has gone too far. Again not saying we won’t do it but just saying it’s stupid. Someone needs to use their brain. But brains and government are not always in the same vicinity.

I feel bad for BITD to have to deal with these people and agree to these terms. Again we will follow the rules and glad BITD is doing the work to make this happen.
Mike

Last edited:

green787

Reaction
We will follow the rules also. But it needs to be said that this is so dumb. Our team is already with each other. Having guys pit in 100 degree weather with a mask is not good. There is more risk in overheating people and them fainting than getting COVID.

I totally get it while you are just walking around people you have not been working with. But doing physical activity in extreme heat with a mask is a bad idea.

this has gone too far. Again not saying we won’t do it but just saying it’s stupid. Someone needs to use their brain. But brains and government are not always in the same vicinity.

I feel bad for BITD to have to deal with these people and agree to these terms. Again we will follow the rules and glad BITD is doing the work to make this happen.
Mike
Dude, are you color blind AND myopic....??? Klaus said PPPPUUUUURRRRRPPPLLLLE............. but this, and but that.... bbbbbb but I don't wanna...... wha.... wha.... wha....... 🧷

Last edited:

MTPyle

Reaction
Green

not sure what I said that made you think I am
Myopic. I just expressed my concern for safety with guys doing physical work in extreme heat while be required to wear mask. I don’t understand what is nearsighted about that?

Trying to solve one problem by creating another one is silly. Not sure why that is A purple statement. And my opinion about government making rules that do not make sense is relative to this thread. They created a rule that is counterproductive because they do not understand what they are asking BITD to do.

I was recently in Lake Powell and had to wear a mask while showing my houseboat. It was super hot and I almost passed out twice. Once while I was standing over the engine compartment. The heat with the mask was not good or safe.

but I am sure Klaus appreciates you helping police the forum.

and like I said we will do we our part and follow the rules. Regardless of how silly they are.

Mike

stonehole

Reaction
Green

Myopic. I just expressed my concern for safety with guys doing physical work in extreme heat while be required to wear mask. I don’t understand what is nearsighted about that?

Trying to solve one problem by creating another one is silly. Not sure why that is A purple statement. And my opinion about government making rules that do not make sense is relative to this thread. They created a rule that is counterproductive because they do not understand what they are asking BITD to do.

I was recently in Lake Powell and had to wear a mask while showing my houseboat. It was super hot and I almost passed out twice. Once while I was standing over the engine compartment. The heat with the mask was not good or safe.

and like I said we will do we our part and follow the rules. Regardless of how silly they are.

Mike
there are 1000s=construction workers doing way more then 10 min pits wearing masks ALL day...(im gonna regret adding to this,im sorry....)

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
I guess I could look at the rule book.
SGPT12: Best in the Desert mandates refueling personnel (aka “The Fueler”; the crew member responsible for inserting the fuel nozzle or dry brake during a pit stop) wear a one piece or two piece fire suit minimally rated to the SFI Foundation’s 3.2A/5 manufacturer’s certification. The suit shall cover the crew member from the neck to the ankles and to the wrists. The suit must be free from holes, rips, tears, and not worn thin. Additionally Mandated, SFI Rated Balaclava, SFI 3.3 Rated Fire Retardant gloves and SFI 52.1 Fuel Apron. It is strongly recommend the “fueler” to wear a SNELL SA rated full face helmet. This applies to all fuel delivery systems including dump cans. SFI 3.3 rated fire retardant shoes are also strongly recommended. Additionally for all pit crew members working in the immediate area of a vehicle being fueled, Definitions and General Information 19 Best in the Desert’s requires for pit crew members are a one piece or two piece fire suit minimally rated to the SFI Foundation’s 3.2A/5 manufacturer’s certification. Best in the Desert will accept NFPA 1971, 1977, or 2112 as acceptable alternatives to SFI rated garments. The use of a pit crew style helmets and an SFI 3.3 rated balaclava, SFI 3.3 rated fire retardant gloves, and SFI 3.3 rated fire retardant shoes are also strongly recommended

green787

Reaction
Green

Mike
It's just that if you post what you posted which was way political, then I feel the need to respond, and then you respond, and on and on we go basically ignoring Klaus.....

Last edited:

MTPyle

Reaction
Way political? What they hell has happened with this world? That was not political. Wasn’t like I was blaming liberals or conservatives.

How about you stop commenting and arguing.

Talking about wearing masks while in your own pit 20ft from anyone is not political. It’s just conversation about the risk of this new rule.

we are going to order a bunch of SFI rated Balakalvas from Dan for our team. if we have to have something covering our faces it might as well give us some fire protection.

btw I am racing and run a team of people. So these rules effect me and what we do. So it’s relevant to me and other teams trying to understand how the rules will effect us.

I guess I should just fall in line and not discuss anything that includes mask because you think it’s political?

green, maybe you can make a list of what’s political and should be in purple. Can I talk about 10vs 6100? Or is that political also?

Mike

Last edited:

Ikaika

Reaction
Way political? What they hell has happened with this world? That was not political. Wasn’t like I was blaming liberals or conservatives.

How about you stop commenting and arguing.

Talking about wearing masks while in your own pit 20ft from anyone is not political. It’s just conversation about the risk of this new rule.

we are going to order a bunch of SFI rated Balakalvas from Dan for our team. if we have to have something covering our faces it might as well give us some fire protection.

btw I am racing and run a team of people. So these rules effect me and what we do. So it’s relevant to me and other teams trying to understand how the rules will effect us.

I guess I should just fall in line and not discuss anything that includes mask because you think it’s political?

green, maybe you can make a list of what’s political and should be in purple. Can I talk about 10vs 6100? Or is that political also?

Mike
Hey Mike,.......don't you know that in todays overly sensitive society,.........that if you offend someone, that immediately becomes "political" !!!
Somehow, some way those overly sensitive sissys will find a way to "redefine" whatever view or position to meet their own narrow minded needs & opinions.

BTW.....I did not find your comments "political", "offensive", or even requiring a rebuttal.

I'm sure you will remember this "tag line: from a well known Fuji Film commercial.......GREEN with ENVY !!

I tried very hard to stay out of this mess......but having seen this GREEN ( with envy ) guy challenge you on nearly EVERY point & post has pushed me over the edge.

And lastly,.....good luck @ V2R.

Remember the three "D"'s.......Desire,.....Dedication,.....Determination = ingredients of a Champion !

Fire away......

Last edited:

nohandslance

Reaction
Reno Bet Line: $1 to every Bike, Quad, UTV, Buggy and Truck to make it through Rawhide. I will be taking notes.
Good luck next week everyone, Race and Chase safe.
Lance

green787

Reaction
This is political.....
"this has gone too far. Again not saying we won’t do it but just saying it’s stupid. Someone needs to use their brain. But brains and government are not always in the same vicinity."
and not very respectful of the people in charge....

green787

Reaction
I tried very hard to stay out of this mess......but having seen this GREEN ( with envy ) guy challenge you on nearly EVERY point & post has pushed me over the edge.
Fire away......
Show me one post between me and MTPyle.......

jon coleman

Reaction
I have never had a problem following Race org. rules, govenor's emergency orders, courts, fines, jail..... etc.... I consider it all a tax so that society can function.... Without society there is no "function"...... You're admitted belief is at odds with society and the race org. rules at this moment in history.... I'm a lifetime off roader that leans toward the left side of the road..... It's so easy to roost people that are all lined up on the right side of the road, and suddenly they have to take a left line..... Can the off road community as a whole abide by these conspiracy theories about wearing masks and maintaining social distancing because of a fantasy virus??? I'm the one here that is qualified to put this community to task, and to for once in their lives follow the rules and not CHEAT....!!!!!

hey, im an offroader for life too, if masks is All it takes to bring back the dash( never gonna happen), or just allows racing in general to start up again,im ALL IN, trouble is its just a start, masks today, who Knows what tommorow, , we need to Not give the ecofreeks Any reason to bash off road

tapeworm

Reaction
On a serious note please do tell your crew members to monitor for heat exhaustion while wearing a mask. I’ve done some testing in my profession of wearing a mask and not wearing a mask while doing physical labor and task outdoor’s and oxygen saturation levels did decrease between 5-6% over a 5-7 minute time period adding to the bodies work load to deal with the heat. This is not a political post in any way as I'm not advocating to wear or not a wear a mask, but simply trying to increase the awareness that it does put an added stress on the human body in the heat so inform them members to be more aware of possible heat illness injuries.
Just putting someone in an air conditioned vehicle with a bottle of water early on in the process of a heat illness or injury can be extremely helpful in the overall outcome of the patient before medical assistance arrives. Please stay safe everyone.

green787

Reaction
I'm going to give everyone advice in this post.... I worked for 37 years pulling sound and video wires underneath the 100 year old Major Motion Picture Stages in Hollywood that are represented by Unions..... We called it the 5 majors.... there are 6 now.... The union jurisdiction extends out in a 30 mile radius from downtown L.A..... In 1980 if you were a wanna bee rock star and looking for a day job, it didn't get any better than making television shows and movies and just being a part of a crew and following orders..... I never took any of the geeky broadcast TV classes in High School and new nothing about electronics..... But my first day on the job I was assigned to be a video engineer on WKRP in Cinncinatti..... All I had to do was sit in the booth and watch the color bars on the monitors and make sure that Cyan was the right shade of blue....
But for me crawling under those stages is where I found my sanctity.... No one could yell at me, or say I was too slow or say anything when the 6' 4" Bo Duke (Bobby Real) from Fallbrook, put on his mask and crawled in like it was a dirt fort we dug in my dad's backyard as kids.....
Oh, but we got dead rats, dead cats, mumified cats, Hanta Virus, micro dust that hasn't seen moisture in 100 years, and FLEAS...!!!! Spiders.....
If I didn't wear a mask I would feel sick at the end of the day and be hacking up crud from my lungs.... I would wear a full painter's mask and breath NO dust or anything else.......
Now here is where the above poster Mr. Tapeworm has it all wrong..... An R95 or N95 mask puts absolutely no extra strain on the cardiovascular..... You are barely rebreathing your breath like if you were sleeping with the blankeys over your head all night.....
Let me tell you what does put strain on the heart and lungs and everything else...........
PANIC
Your built up anxiety about wearing a mask, or crawling into claustrophobic places (race vehicle) is making your brain cause your heart to race..... This is just normal panic that is ascociated with this type of work or whatever you are doing that causes you to have to "suit up" and go on in to the creepiest places on earth...Or the most exciting place on earth, riding shotgun in 6100...... People in Los Angeles get big money to go into hazardous conditions at refineries and ships and all kinds of places you anti-union people don't understand......
So, you just have to have a talk with yourself before you go in, that everything is ok, because you have all the gear on..... Think about the beach, palm trees swaying in a gentle breeze, and in you go........
Pretend that everyplace you go with your gear on, is that fort that you and your brother dug in the back yard and covered it with corrugated tin roofing...... The big kids would scare the crap out of you back in the '50's playing army in the fort......
It's all in your heads people.......
All of these masks have been tested and rated..... Wear a surgical mask if you can't handle it being tight.....
But seriously everybody needs to tighten up their masks, and strap in tightly for this over 500 mile race right here in America during a Pandemic...... You guys need to stop with all the disclaimers that you really hate the masks but are willing to wear them to race.....
How far would that attitude have gotten me at Warner Brothers.......
Here's another clue..... If you are claustrophobic wear cotton..... a 100% cotton jumpsuit is what I do my crawling in..... It absorbs sweat so you don't PANIC......
I'm afraid some of the off road community is prone to heart attacks..... Not enough excersise and too much meat in their diet..... Then they go to a race and get all worked up like never before....... Drinking too much beer..... Too many energy drinks...... Like I don't know....????
Off roaders have to learn how to stay calm...... Don't freak out....(like everytime I post)...... Don't PANIC with your mask on.... remember the palm trees swaying....?????
One beer or ONE shot of hard liquor will allieviate the anxiety as will one Ativan/Lorazepam.... You will find yourself laughing for no reason with your mask on.....
Take it easy out there people.... It's going to be hot..... Don't freak out.....
Tighten up your "dust" mask and you will feel better when you get home.....
When you are in the pits and trying to change a hot spark plug in a hurry...... stay calm...... the mask is protecting you from breathing fumes and becoming light headed....... Exactly the opposite of what all the disclaimers are saying.......
The mask will protect you......!!!!!!

Last edited:

One-Eyed Peter

Reaction
Good luck to all of you at the race! I was slated to be in it, but it just got scrubbed. I was prepared to wear a welding helmet and rubber suit if that's what it took to make the race happen. Never been to V2R and was so looking forward to it. Have fun and be safe (with your masks on!) :p👍