• Forum membership has its advantages....

2020 Norra Mexican 1000 Day 2 Changes ???

CHINOLAS

2020 Mexican 1000 prior to officially announcing the new dates we need to prepare some possible changes based on feedback and ideas.

Bay of LA has been for years the weakest link of our event, complains every year about people having trouble to sleep and have a place to shower and crash during the windy nights, complements also from people that likes the adventure and challenge of sleeping and camping on Pit City, different opinions and ideas but bottom line is there are not enough rooms period, not a single new room has been built in 10 years, cell phone service has been promised since year 1 with no luck, racers always complain about town not being big enough to have autoparts store or good welding shops, gas stations some years run out of fuel.

When asked about good, bad and ugly this year after the race got several ideas on how to improve the race experience, some of them are possible and some sound like a big challenge but not impossible, right now i would like to get feedback on some of this proposals for change on the Bay of LA room situation:

1.- There is one proposal from racers to change the way NORRA controls the rooms in Bay of LA, instead of opening registration to everyone like we have been doing every year this suggestion is about giving loyal customers a prefference to choose the Bola Hotel Rooms days prior to opening to all racers, we tought about it and think that the only possible way to make this happen could be by doing the following:

Make a list of Drivers of Record that have raced for more than 1 year with NORRA, starting with 10 races, then 9, then 8 etc etc, with the list we can open registration 10 days prior to official opening date and give priority to the Drivers that pay in full and also have 10 races to chose a room first, then the next day we open it to 10 and 9 races, next day we open it to 10, 9 and 8 races and on and on until we open in full to everyone.

Pros and Cons about this plan i believe good is that customers that have been with us for long will be appreciated with this, cons is that we might not make new entries happy.

Open to feedback.

2.- Second option is to split the group in 3 cities, proposal would split racers like this:

Bikes: Guerrero Negro
(256 Hotel Rooms in Town) 36 Entries Registered in 2019

Go to Guerrero Negro like it has been for a few years now, next day they start at 7:00 am not 6:00 like it has been, they do a loop around vizcaino and transit to San Ignacio for first bike to start in San Ignacio around 10:00 am.

Unlimited Trucks and Buggies along with UTV´s: San Ignacio
(124 Hotel Rooms in Town) 72 Entries Registered in 2019

Go to San Ignacio to Start ahead of Bikes the next day at 9:00 am slow UTV´s might get passed by fast bikes maybe not too safe IMO but a possibility.

Rest of Cars: Bahia de Los Angeles
(100 Hotel Rooms Available from 124 total due to NORRA staff, rescue, checkpoint crews, sponsors etc) 116 Entries left from what Registered in 2019

Start next day early like this year at 8:00 am, bikes will still be ahead of them.

Open to feedback and suggestions.

3.- Third option is leave everything like it is now.

Mark Stahl

I like plan 1 Eliseo. Who came up with that.

TRAVISD

I would go with option 1. This is Baja, everyone needs to experience the wind in a sleeping bag. It is all part of the experinece and almost a hazing situation. lol

Team Todo En

I'm good with Stahl's Option 1. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of first-timers don't register the first day anyway. 1st year we didn't register until Jan or Feb to make sure we would be ready. Like Travis said, it's Baja. Experience it and figure it out. It's all part of the adventure.

It's Me

For option 1 the teams that have raced every year and give everyone on the team a chance to be the driver of record could be way down the list.

CHINOLAS

I like plan 1 but what if you switched it up every other year the cars and bike switched with BoLA & GN
Logistics are kind of complicated if we send all cars to Guerrero Negro since they will be finishing late that day and then travel the next day on a transit to San Ignacio for a Restart of the stage, if we send cars down on day 2 it needs to be to San Ignacio so day 2 ends after transit from Vizcaino to San Ignacio.

If we send cars to GN they will have to finish in Vizcaino, then go North to GN and the next day Stage in GN to go South again for a BIG Pavement transit to San Ignacio, IMO a waste of time and Tire Rubber.

if we send cars down i think it has to be to San Ignacio and Town only has 124 rooms.

CHINOLAS

For option 1 the teams that have raced every year and give everyone on the team a chance to be the driver of record could be way down the list.
Well the only way i can think this works is Driver of Record and not Race Teams, there is no way NORRA can look at past race entries and check what teams have been in what race, but there is a way to check Driver of Record names on every race.

landshark

Even though we were among one of the first registrations this last time around and being our first year at NORRA we were happy that a room was reserved for us in BOLA. However truthfully, I had half expected it to disappear and we were prepared to rough it and camp if need be. With that being said, it turned out to be a great time and we were fortunate to hang out with a few others in our class at the motel and be out of the wind.

Realizing that I will probably not be very high on the accommodations list in 2020 I vote for option 1.

Maybe the wind won’t be too bad! jajaja just kidding, it’s gonna suck.

Mark Stahl

Well the only way i can think this works is Driver of Record and not Race Teams, there is no way NORRA can look at past race entries and check what teams have been in what race, but there is a way to check Driver of Record names on every race.
Eliseo, when I came up with this plan I figured that you would have to go by driver of record.

luvbaja2

Eliseo, first of all thank you for asking for input. Here is ours: We are FireForce Racing, a group of active and retired firemen. As a team, we have been to EVERY NORRA race since it's inception. We have entered 4 different vehicles and a bike, all in the Vintage classes except for one year. We have had four different Drivers /Rider of Record.
Option 1 - would not take that into consideration if based solely on Driver of Record. I have the most Drivers of Record (4), but would put us down the list, even though we have participated for 10 years.
Option 2 - split the group into 3 locations - this would be my pick for three reasons. 1. Lets the fast cars get out in front from San Ignacio. As you said should be able to stay in front of the most of the bikes from GN.
2. Gives the Vintage cars (slower like us) an earlier start in Bay of LA and MAYBE get to Loreto by dark. We left at 11:30 am last year (2018). 3. With less teams competing for rooms in Bay of LA, maybe everyone can get a room?
In my opinion I would opt for Option 2. Why not try it? If it doesn't work you can always go back. If not, then Option 3, leave it the same. We will be there either way, driving something old and slow.
Bruce Galien for FireForce Racing

CHINOLAS

Eliseo, first of all thank you for asking for input. Here is ours: We are FireForce Racing, a group of active and retired firemen. As a team, we have been to EVERY NORRA race since it's inception. We have entered 4 different vehicles and a bike, all in the Vintage classes except for one year. We have had four different Drivers /Rider of Record.
Option 1 - would not take that into consideration if based solely on Driver of Record. I have the most Drivers of Record (4), but would put us down the list, even though we have participated for 10 years.
Option 2 - split the group into 3 locations - this would be my pick for three reasons. 1. Lets the fast cars get out in front from San Ignacio. As you said should be able to stay in front of the most of the bikes from GN.
2. Gives the Vintage cars (slower like us) an earlier start in Bay of LA and MAYBE get to Loreto by dark. We left at 11:30 am last year (2018). 3. With less teams competing for rooms in Bay of LA, maybe everyone can get a room?
In my opinion I would opt for Option 2. Why not try it? If it doesn't work you can always go back. If not, then Option 3, leave it the same. We will be there either way, driving something old and slow.
Bruce Galien for FireForce Racing
I like both ideas, just need to get the most ideas and feeling from racers like you, nothing is set in stone yet.

Baja Dad

I fell Bikes and UTV's should go to BLA day 2 then start day 3 at 5am and head to SN skipping GN
Cars to GN they can finish in Vizcaino, then transit North to GN Start the next day at 10am in GN head South to San Ignacio on the same route the bikes did this year .

CHINOLAS

I fell Bikes and UTV's should go to BLA day 2 then start day 3 at 5am and head to SN skipping GN
Cars to GN they can finish in Vizcaino, then transit North to GN Start the next day at 10am in GN head South to San Ignacio on the same route the bikes did this year .
A start that Early for bikes is dangerous from BOLA at NORRA we will always try to make the course as safe as possible and sending bikes at dark is risky IMO, I think the only way that this can work if we keep bikes in Bola is to start them late after we start cars from GN or San Ignacio but that also mixes slow cars and fast bikes later on the day.

would like to hear Tim Morton´s opinion on this.

Baja Dad

Starting in the Dark on bikes is NO big deal you are Talking about 1 Hour needing lights
MUCH safer then have the Fast bikes catch 90% of the cars

You must have a cut off time for Bikes at SI (10:00 am) That gives them 5 hours to get there.
after cut off they would have to Trailer them south to start day 3

trailready

Option 4: BofLA rooms go in order of oldest vintage car first, and so on until the room are gone. Nice reward for actually bringing vintage vehicles. ;)

volks 73

This was our 6th NORRA, the first 5 I was driver of record, this year I was unable to sign up on the first day due to working remotely (out of cell or any other service). My buddy who in the past always signed up as a co-driver signed as the driver of record to be able to get the ever so sought after room in B of LA. As mentioned above and in my opinion also, it would be a bummer to miss out on a room for this reason. (Maybe consider driver / co driver). I'm with Luvbaja2 I say give option 2 a try, it will make a great experience even better by traveling farther on day 2 and spending the night in a different town. If it doesn't work then try something different in 2021. Or go with option 3 and leave it alone. You have taken on a hard task by asking for peoples opinion as its next to impossible to make everybody HAPPY. But I believe what you are doing is part of what makes this the Happiest Race on Earth. Thanks for listening

Last edited:

volks 73

Option 4: BofLA rooms go in order of oldest vintage car first, and so on until the room are gone. Nice reward for actually bringing vintage vehicles. ;)
I also like this option. I have often thought of what could be done to reward and encourage others to bring Vintage vehicles. It would be great to see vintage entries continue to grow.

Rlovell

I like option 1 or 4. But with that said, only once have we reserved a room in BoLA. We prefer to camp, regardless of the ind. BoLA is a big part of what Baja is about and one of the primary reasons I love NORRA. We didn't make NORRA in 2019 but if we end up in BoLA in 2020 someone else can have our room.

P.S. I like the incentives for true vintage..