2020 SCORE Baja 1000 Live Stream, Tracking and Updates

Ferrari333SP

Reaction
Question from a relative newb to the sport, compared to most on here: in terms of the engines the TT's use, what are the main regulations with them? Is there a size limit? a HP limit? Or is it pretty much anything goes? Are there a lot of engine suppliers out there? Or only a few? Are turbos allowed? Or do teams go with NA simply because they're much more reliable/have a much smaller chance of breaking down over a full Baja race? This brings to mind the failed VW V-12 turbo-diesel effort from however many years ago now. Recently I saw Menzies saying his engine was about 950 HP; is this the relative range most top teams are in? Is it hard to go much higher than that with top-line V8 racing engines? Robby's engine sounds like it revs higher than the other teams (Nascar-derived engine, right?), but maybe doesn't have quite the same HP? Whoever wants to take a crack at this I'd love to know more, haha

stephenrjking

Reaction
Question from a relative newb to the sport, compared to most on here: in terms of the engines the TT's use, what are the main regulations with them? Is there a size limit? a HP limit? Or is it pretty much anything goes? Are there a lot of engine suppliers out there? Or only a few? Are turbos allowed? Or do teams go with NA simply because they're much more reliable/have a much smaller chance of breaking down over a full Baja race? This brings to mind the failed VW V-12 turbo-diesel effort from however many years ago now. Recently I saw Menzies saying his engine was about 950 HP; is this the relative range most top teams are in? Is it hard to go much higher than that with top-line V8 racing engines? Robby's engine sounds like it revs higher than the other teams (Nascar-derived engine, right?), but maybe doesn't have quite the same HP? Whoever wants to take a crack at this I'd love to know more, haha
Engines are unlimited. The only restriction in the SCORE rulebook is that a Diesel engine must be clean-burning. Turbos, cylinders, displacement, it’s whatever you can pay for.

I’ve seen people talk about 4-figure HP numbers. Of course, the engine has to last for the whole race in tough conditions, so there are natural pressure points that can restrict performance.

Some Herbst trucks are actually sourcing their engines from NASCAR teams (Gibbs, I believe) but they are custom-built for this series. Others probably do the same.

Robin Hood

Reaction
Drama in the pits...

Wow...Justin might be fast, but this is embarrassing! BTW...If the driver says he doesn't have brakes then someone needs to find the problem and fix it. Not tell him he has made it this far so keep going.
Looks to me that the big guy shoulda been on the dump cans...the other guy looks
like he coulda used a hand.
Three guys on the rear tire and one on the dump can? Makes a lot of sense? The fueler should get the gold star...it isn't easy to hold a drybreak in and dump 11 gallons of fuel at the same time. I thought fuelers were required to be in fire resistant gear? Never mind the 3 guys on the tire right under him.

Sums up that team in a video, sad cause they can drive
Money, entitlement, and age does this to some people.

Last edited:

davis85

Reaction
Wow...Justin might be fast, but this is embarrassing! BTW...If the driver says he doesn't have brakes then someone needs to find the problem and fix it. Not tell him he has made it this far so keep going.

Three guys on the rear tire and one on the dump can? Makes a lot of sense? The fueler should get the gold star...it isn't easy to hold a drybreak in and dump 11 gallons of fuel at the same time. I thought fuelers were required to be in fire resistant gear? Never mind the 3 guys on the tire right under him.

Money, entitlement, and age does this to some people.
hey idiot first of all thats not me in the car I'm standing in front of the car. so don't start accusing since you apparently can't see me standing infront of the car.and secondly me or my brother are not entitled to anything we work for everything we have nothing is given so don't talk poop when you know nothing about me or my family. I'm sure we aren't the only team to ever get in argument in the pit things happens so what still won the race.

MTPyle

Reaction
Those pit guys had no idea how to trouble shoot the brake system. Even the driver is yelling to at least put more fluid in the reservoir and they didn’t even do that. They just kept looking at each corner and could not see anything wrong. But they missed the fact that there are many other places for a failure besides the calipers. They were arguing with the driver as if the driver was making up the brake problem. Haha

I am surprised that with all those guys the fueler is doing that by himself and with zero safety gear.

total mess. Goes to show it’s not how many guys you have helping that matters, you need guys that know what they are doing and know the race vehicle. It’s crazy how things can fall apart fast in the pits under stress.

the big guy was just mad because he didn’t get a team shirt. LOL

Mike

davis85

Reaction
the reservoir was full the balance bar was broke we had 40 miles to go not going to fix it he had rear brakes the one fueler is just holding a vent can not dump can full of gas

NIKAL

Reaction
hey idiot first of all thats not me in the car I'm standing in front of the car. so don't start accusing since you apparently can't see me standing infront of the car.and secondly me or my brother are not entitled to anything we work for everything we have nothing is given so don't talk poop when you know nothing about me or my family. I'm sure we aren't the only team to ever get in argument in the pit things happens so what still won the race.

Justin, when the driver said I have no brakes! Why didn’t they start to look over the whole brake system, instead of telling him he’s fine because he stopped in the pit. Why did no one pull the hood and check the peddles & master cylinder for leaks or fluid? I get why the driver was frustrated and cussed at his teammates. He’s saying look at the brake peddle, it’s going to the floor. Again I saw an “Army” of crew and no one did anything, except say “Let’s quit! Get out and let’s quit!” Then a fight broke out. The driver was right to drive out and get going down the course.

So Justin can you confirm what the brake problem was? And congratulations on winning class 10. Considering what we saw, you guys pulled it together and finished with the win.

J Prich

Reaction
In a super nerdy way I am kind of fascinated with these kinds of scenarios. I've spent a lot time in the leadership development world and I always think about things like effective communication, conflict management, even emotional intelligence. When we're in these high pressure situations, how do we regulate our brains to function effectively. Magnified by fatigue, etc. It's really interesting from the psychology/neurology side of things to see how situations play out and how people handle them. Kind of off topic for an off road message board but I think this short anecdotal example is a great case study in how to manage your brain to be able to not fall apart in high stress situations.

davis85

Reaction
Justin, when the driver said I have no brakes! Why didn’t they start to look over the whole brake system, instead of telling him he’s fine because he stopped in the pit. Why did no one pull the hood and check the master cylinder for leaks or fluid? I get why the driver was frustrated and cussed at his teammates. He’s saying look at the brake peddle, it’s going to the floor. Again I saw an “Army” of crew and no one did anything, except say “Let’s quit! Get out and let’s quit!” Then a fight broke out. The driver was right to drive out and get going down the course.

So Justin can you confirm what the brake problem was? And congratulations on winning class 10. Considering what we saw, you guys pulled it together and finished with the win.
because we already knew what had happened early on in the race one of the rear calipers broke a bleeder.but when it did the peddle traveled to far and I bent the bar which we some what straightened. we we knew it could brake any time it finally did 50 miles to go the second place wasn't that far behind us and we didn't want to waste any more time in the pits knowing there was nothing we could do to fix it.im not agreeing with what my brother did nor what Jason did who preps the car and does a awesome job won last 3 out 4 races but 30hrs of no sleep sometimes gets to you but at the finish line both of them hugged it out and no hard feelings

Bro_Gill

Reaction
In a super nerdy way I am kind of fascinated with these kinds of scenarios. I've spent a lot time in the leadership development world and I always think about things like effective communication, conflict management, even emotional intelligence. When we're in these high pressure situations, how do we regulate our brains to function effectively. Magnified by fatigue, etc. It's really interesting from the psychology/neurology side of things to see how situations play out and how people handle them. Kind of off topic for an off road message board but I think this short anecdotal example is a great case study in how to manage your brain to be able to not fall apart in high stress situations.
I am also a 'fan/geek' about reactionary tales and results derived as in my work, as well as yours, it could result in fatalities (and has). While this was just a vehicle race, what would have happened if the swinger connected hard with the driver? What other things could have then followed? One bad decision generally is followed by other bad decisions when made through emotions rather than logic and control. This is only one of the places where that stuff needs to be put away until maybe later. Actions speak louder than words and demonstrate what someone's bottom line really is.

NIKAL

Reaction
because we already knew what had happened early on in the race one of the rear calipers broke a bleeder.but when it did the peddle traveled to far and I bent the bar which we some what straightened. we we knew it could brake any time it finally did 50 miles to go the second place wasn't that far behind us and we didn't want to waste any more time in the pits knowing there was nothing we could do to fix it.im not agreeing with what my brother did nor what Jason did who preps the car and does a awesome job won last 3 out 4 races but 30hrs of no sleep sometimes gets to you but at the finish line both of them hugged it out and no hard feelings

Thank you for explaining. I guess in hind sight explaining to the driver about the bent balance bar and that it’s finally failed completely might have helped him understand why his brakes have gone away even more, and that might have calmed the situation. But like you mentioned this was 50 miles from the finish and tired people say and do things they would not normally do.

I’ve been in this situation when you have enough brakes to hold it in the pit and to slow you down when you are cruising, but not enough brakes to stop you when going into a corner. I’ve used allot of gearbox to stop the car and that’s nerve racking!

Again Congratulations on the class 10 win.

davis85

Reaction
Thank you for explaining. I guess in hind sight explaining to the driver about the bent balance bar and that it’s finally failed completely might have helped him understand why his brakes have gone away even more, and might have calmed the situation. But like you mentioned this was 50 miles from the finish and tired people say and do things they would not normally do.

Again Congratulations on the class 10 win.
thank you

MTPyle

Reaction
Good points about being tired. It’s not clear from the video that they were only 80 miles from the finish. That means they all had been up for over 24 hours under stress. That puts it in context.

I watched the video back thinking about how tired they all must have been and it makes more sense. You just don’t know how difficult things get when tired and at the end of a 1000 mile race.

Mike

davis85

Reaction
like I said before I'm not agreeing on what had happened but it is what is we moved on from it to many hours of no sleep tempers flair things get said but in the end they hugged it out and no hard feelings can't take stuff so personally sometimes

J Prich

Reaction
I get what you're saying here and I understand that in the moment things happen, but personally I'd strive for creating situations in which my team could figure out how to communicate a little more effectively without having to try to physically attack each other. Again I'm not knocking you here, I'm just suggesting that maybe there is a better option than just "not taking things personally".

Yelling, screaming, and nearly physically fighting each other, then hugging it out in the end as no big deal is definitely one way to do it. But what if you could create a dynamic in which none of that was necessary at all because people just kept their emotions in check and handled business? Seems like something worth striving for IMO.

BajaboundMoto

Reaction
I find the comments dissing the Green Army guys comical. Apparently none of these keyboard racers are ever going to win a Baja 1000 or a championship because they don't have it in them to take a chance and keep charging forward.
You all think, as you get a great nights sleep on race day and watch the internet as it fits your schedule, relax and eat a fat sammich, that YOU KNOW what GA should have done... jajaja
The car was screwed up and thrashed, they'd all been up for too many hours on too little sleep and maybe crappy food. They were all stressed out. That's racing and chasing!
I'm stoked for them to win and for making the call they made at that time.... "You made it up and over the Mano grade, thru the pines to here at k78, we have only a few minutes lead, PIN IT!"
It worked out, they won, something most or all of you won't know that feeling because you'd want to give up that lead trying to fix what's maybe not fixable.

As for the poor gas guy... Yeah, maybe get him a helper next time ;-)

Last edited:

Robin Hood

Reaction

Easy guy...read the post for what it says, not what you assume it implies. I never said it was you in the car. In fact, I referenced the guy in the car as "the driver", because I obviously didn't know who was in the car. Maybe you are still tired or maybe your team always lashes out when faced with adversity.

the reservoir was full the balance bar was broke we had 40 miles to go not going to fix it he had rear brakes the one fueler is just holding a vent can not dump can full of gas
Video doesn't lie, the fueler clearly dumped two cans of fuel with no safety equipment on. Both the fueler and the vent man should have been in safety gear.

Last edited: