2020 SCORE Baja 1000 Live Stream, Tracking and Updates

Bro_Gill

Reaction
"Video doesn't lie, the fueler clearly dumped two cans of fuel with no safety equipment on. Both the fueler and the vent man should have been in safety gear."

It's not like they were using a air'fuel bomb in the back of a pickup with lots of other people around to get burned up when it exploded. Sheesh!

Borracho Cantina

Reaction
because we already knew what had happened early on in the race one of the rear calipers broke a bleeder.but when it did the peddle traveled to far and I bent the bar which we some what straightened. we we knew it could brake any time it finally did 50 miles to go the second place wasn't that far behind us and we didn't want to waste any more time in the pits knowing there was nothing we could do to fix it.im not agreeing with what my brother did nor what Jason did who preps the car and does a awesome job won last 3 out 4 races but 30hrs of no sleep sometimes gets to you but at the finish line both of them hugged it out and no hard feelings

Dude. Epic Baja battle. This is so bada$$!!!! I can’t get enough!!! Congrats on the win!!! Super awesome story!!!!

Tim

Reaction
I hadn't raced in Baja in years so I wrote up a race summary after 41 hours awake and 13 in the car. It reads more like a stream of consciousness than anything else. Mostly coherent...
DSC00096 (1).JPG

Tube ride

Reaction
Even a small atv winch with mounting points front and rear 1500 to 2500 pound pull and diapers with a catheter just in case for Baja ? Totally epic congratulations on a well deserved finish !

stephenrjking

Reaction
I hadn't raced in Baja in years so I wrote up a race summary after 41 hours awake and 13 in the car. It reads more like a stream of consciousness than anything else. Mostly coherent...
View attachment 220317
Outstanding.

rustyb

Reaction
I think that’s the best Baja race writeup I’ve ever read! Really felt like I was out there with you guys, and you beautifully captured what a struggle it can be to get across the finish line. Congratulations on your finish, and thanks for posting!

MTPyle

Reaction
Great story. I really enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing. It’s a crazy experience that you will never forget.

Mike

RGFan

Reaction
Question from a relative newb to the sport, compared to most on here: in terms of the engines the TT's use, what are the main regulations with them? Is there a size limit? a HP limit? Or is it pretty much anything goes? Are there a lot of engine suppliers out there? Or only a few? Are turbos allowed? Or do teams go with NA simply because they're much more reliable/have a much smaller chance of breaking down over a full Baja race? This brings to mind the failed VW V-12 turbo-diesel effort from however many years ago now. Recently I saw Menzies saying his engine was about 950 HP; is this the relative range most top teams are in? Is it hard to go much higher than that with top-line V8 racing engines? Robby's engine sounds like it revs higher than the other teams (Nascar-derived engine, right?), but maybe doesn't have quite the same HP? Whoever wants to take a crack at this I'd love to know more, haha
His trophy truck had a fuel system contamination issue with the foam breaking down in the fuel cell. If you watched the videos in quite a few of them you could here the motor not sounding quite right and even backfiring at times. They were sure it effected the fuel pumps, filters and fuel injectors. It was bad enough to where they could not keep it running past mile marker 500 and had to stop for 1.5-2 hours to rebuild the 2 fuel pumps and change filters.

mebedb1

Reaction
I'm surprised there hasn't been any comments on the penalty report. (unless I missed something?).
There were only 17, yes Seventeen, Clean runs!!
82 out of 99 of us, had penalties.
@mxben , I know your team fought hard to get to the finish..., I saw your faces when I jumped out of the car on stage, congrats on Your clean run. 3 VCP's missed cost us a 3rd place finish.
I believe you run BFG's and if so, I have a Hat for you that I can bring by the lumber yard. ( If it means anything to
you)

I'll blame it on the other guys as I'm confident we had a clean run. still waiting on Jose G. to reply to an email request.

Don

swiftracing5

Reaction
I was driving 508, 507 is our “sister” car, identical penalty reports. Weird

stephenrjking

Reaction
I'm surprised there hasn't been any comments on the penalty report. (unless I missed something?).
There were only 17, yes Seventeen, Clean runs!!
82 out of 99 of us, had penalties.
@mxben , I know your team fought hard to get to the finish..., I saw your faces when I jumped out of the car on stage, congrats on Your clean run. 3 VCP's missed cost us a 3rd place finish.
I believe you run BFG's and if so, I have a Hat for you that I can bring by the lumber yard. ( If it means anything to
you)

I'll blame it on the other guys as I'm confident we had a clean run. still waiting on Jose G. to reply to an email request.

Don
The penalties did change results in some cases.

I'm curious: How consistent and strict are these penalties? Your quote sounds like you dispute some of them, but I'm wondering if that's the feeling with everyone. Like, if you blip to 31 mph in a 30 mph zone, is that a sure penalty, or do they levy some grace there? Is there a margin of error built into the enforcement process?

mebedb1

Reaction

I'm curious: How consistent and strict are these penalties? Your quote sounds like you dispute some of them, but I'm wondering if that's the feeling with everyone. Like, if you blip to 31 mph in a 30 mph zone, is that a sure penalty, or do they levy some grace there? Is there a margin of error built into the enforcement process?
I don't dispute the penalties at all. the "other guys" were in the car, racing... Hard... power steering issues started at mile 155, changed the first pump at 175... They had a Tough race...

and I do believe there is a little forgiveness in the speed zone's, If you know how to use it.o_O

swiftracing5

Reaction

I accidentally but blatantly sped by a lot and did not get a penalty, I really think you need to speed for a minimum of 3 seconds but 5 seconds realistically to be noticed on score tracking.

ltr450rider

Reaction
Question from a relative newb to the sport, compared to most on here: in terms of the engines the TT's use, what are the main regulations with them? Is there a size limit? a HP limit? Or is it pretty much anything goes? Are there a lot of engine suppliers out there? Or only a few? Are turbos allowed? Or do teams go with NA simply because they're much more reliable/have a much smaller chance of breaking down over a full Baja race? This brings to mind the failed VW V-12 turbo-diesel effort from however many years ago now. Recently I saw Menzies saying his engine was about 950 HP; is this the relative range most top teams are in? Is it hard to go much higher than that with top-line V8 racing engines? Robby's engine sounds like it revs higher than the other teams (Nascar-derived engine, right?), but maybe doesn't have quite the same HP? Whoever wants to take a crack at this I'd love to know more, haha
Most TT's are using some sort of small block V8 engine design, but many are going towards a larger displacement big-block package now-a-days. Most all of these are still naturally aspirated engines, although Josh Daniels ran a twin turbo V8 engine a few years back, I think Dale Dondel of Racer Engineering may have run a turbo engine at some point as well. Turbos and superchargers were only allowed with the rule book in the past 5 years if I remember correctly.

I think most engines builders are using the earlier small block engine packages as they are very well sorted out over the past 50 years and are quite reliable for what they are subjected to. They can build these engines to just about any spec that the driver prefers, and can tune them to have a wide or narrow torque curve.

There is no size limit on displacement that I know of. I think the biggest limiting factor with how "big" of an engine one would use, is dependent on the reliability of the drivetrain. Most of these trucks have been limited to how well the trans/gearbox, driveshaft, rear gear, and axles are able to withstand the larger power. The drivetrains have been catching up in reliability quite a bit in the past 10 years, so many trucks are able to add power to the equation. This clearly turns into a bit of a vicious cycle with drivetrain companies having to catch up to engine builders and the power they produce. The most recent advancements seem to be taking place with rear gear (ring and pinion) and carrier designs.

Robby has been running a higher revving "Nascar" style engine package which is the reason for the high RPM's. I think his use of the 6-speed gearbox is more suited for this type of engine power. Where as many of the other teams are still using the 3-speed T400 auto trans that requires engines with more torque on the lower RPM to pull through the wider gear splits, and they tend not to rev as high.

Bridges

Senior Replay
Reaction
Those pit guys had no idea how to trouble shoot the brake system. Even the driver is yelling to at least put more fluid in the reservoir and they didn’t even do that. They just kept looking at each corner and could not see anything wrong. But they missed the fact that there are many other places for a failure besides the calipers. They were arguing with the driver as if the driver was making up the brake problem. Haha

I am surprised that with all those guys the fueler is doing that by himself and with zero safety gear.

total mess. Goes to show it’s not how many guys you have helping that matters, you need guys that know what they are doing and know the race vehicle. It’s crazy how things can fall apart fast in the pits under stress.

the big guy was just mad because he didn’t get a team shirt. LOL

Mike
Yeah Mike you got the whole story right there from your armchair Commodore 64.

Two back to back 36 hour days in less than a week that'll get ya spittin out your fruitty pebbles. I'll give you the "fueler" incident here at this early morning pit but show you pits prior all day and night fully suited. We're all Pretty fried going into this home stretch. We live and we learn. *We were lucky to have a mostly new and skeleton crew for this race due to FKcovid. (most couldn't come due to work regs in CA) & We thank those boys who busted their arses that did come...

This isn't a first Rodeo, first Win or first Championship. *FYI The Brakes issue took place 10 hours and two drivers prior. It was a deteriorating situation that was well known, diagnosed weighed and discussed heavily. You're looking at a very tired young driver and crew on the edge of adrenaline, victory, defeat and the game that is the BAJA 1000.

We've got a shirt and a SAT phone for you "Mike" to talk us through the next race.
In life there are "watchers"... and there are DOERS.

*Driver Change: Tyler to Jeremy RM 690 Laguna Salada-ish' - 4am-ish

GREEN ARMY MOTORSPORTS - BAJA 1000 VICTORY 2020.jpeg
BAJA 1000 GAM II.jpg
BAJA 1000 GAM III.jpg
BAJA 1000 GAM.jpg

Attachments

• BAJA 1000 brakes.JPG
    BAJA 1000 brakes.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:

MTPyle

Reaction
Bridges

wow cool your jets. Maybe you missed the next post I made about it not being clear it was late in the race and that put it into context.

I have raced the B1K and know first hand what it’s like. It took us 32 hours on course to Finish. So not sure I fall into the category of watchers and not doers.

Bottom line that pit was a mess. You can’t argue that. Try not to get so defensive and learn from your mistakes. It does not matter how much experience you have. Everyone can screw up.

Mike