2020 SCORE Baja 1000 Live Stream, Tracking and Updates

NIKAL

Reaction
Yeah Mike you got the whole story right there from your armchair Commodore 64.

Two back to back 36 hour days in less than a week that'll get ya spittin out your fruitty pebbles. I'll give you the "fueler" incident here at this early morning pit but show you pits prior all day and night fully suited. We're all Pretty fried going into this home stretch. We live and we learn. *We were lucky to have a mostly new and skeleton crew for this race due to FKcovid. (most couldn't come due to work regs in CA) & We thank those boys who busted their arses that did come...

This isn't a first Rodeo, first Win or first Championship. *FYI The Brakes issue took place 10 hours and two drivers prior. It was a deteriorating situation that was well known, diagnosed weighed and discussed heavily. You're looking at a very tired young driver and crew on the edge of adrenaline, victory, defeat and the game that is the BAJA 1000.

We've got a shirt and a SAT phone for you "Mike" to talk us through the next race.
In life there are "watchers"... and there are DOERS.

*Driver Change: Tyler to Jeremy RM 690 Laguna Salada-ish' - 4am-ish

View attachment 220332View attachment 220333View attachment 220334View attachment 220335

Looking at the last picture of the brakes. Very weird how that brake rod and clevis bent. There’s a first for everything and that’s the first I’ve seen that bend like that. But that’s Baja and weird things happen.

I finished a 500 one year with little to no brakes and the car would not turn left! We figured out both issues when we torn it down and neither one would ever be expected.

Last edited:

Bro_Gill

Reaction
I have to ask this question- Did you guys do rear tire changes at every pit because I know we changed them about 80 miles before that driver change. I thought I was looking at some of the best tires I had ever seen since the take-offs looked great! Now I have more information on this...

JerryB

Reaction
Bridges

wow cool your jets. Maybe you missed the next post I made about it not being clear it was late in the race and that put it into context.

I have raced the B1K and know first hand what it’s like. It took us 32 hours on course to Finish. So not sure I fall into the category of watchers and not doers.

Bottom line that pit was a mess. You can’t argue that. Try not to get so defensive and learn from your mistakes. It does not matter how much experience you have. Everyone can screw up.

Mike
Mike you need to give yourself a 24 hour window before you reply to a post, as you usually come back a day later to backtrack or "explain" your position. Next time you feel the need to give someone your expert opinion, wait 24 hours, then decide if it still sounds like a good idea....or if it has changed.

MTPyle

Reaction
Mike you need to give yourself a 24 hour window before you reply to a post, as you usually come back a day later to backtrack or "explain" your position. Next time you feel the need to give someone your expert opinion, wait 24 hours, then decide if it still sounds like a good idea....or if it has changed.

JerryB

Thanks for the tip, I will keep that in mind. Not sure I have ever claimed to be an expert.

but I stand by my original post on the subject.

The fact that they were tired does not change the issues I outlined in my post about the pit. I did not back track. I just had to explain to Bridges that he didn't read the follow up text which was really just trying to help them not look as stupid as they did on the video. I tried to add context. He does not know me and I do not know him. I called it as I saw it. And the fact is it was a mess. If they knew about the brake problem for so long why was the driver saying add fluid? Maybe they should have told him the balance bar was broke? LOL

I have had plenty of disaster pits so not saying I am perfect and anyone should be. But I have never had guys fueling without any safety gear and have never had a fight break out in my pit. They need to take responsibility for the mess and learn from it. Being defensive is not helping anyone.

Maybe you should give some tips to Bridges, he could use them for sure.

Mike

PS- do not expect a "backtrack" post within 24 hours.

Last edited:

Zac Reish

Reaction
Green army is one of the best home grown teams in this sport. They’ve done it all more than a few times. And they are all great people. sometimes things are just out of control and not perfect. Mike you’re the worst when it comes to pointing out the obvious. I love and totally get your enthusiasm for the sport and know you have nothing but well wishes behind all your responses but it’s a lot sometimes bud.

JerryB

Reaction
JerryB

Thanks for the tip, I will keep that in mind. Not sure I have ever claimed to be an expert.

but I stand by my original post on the subject.

The fact that they were tired does not change the issues I outlined in my post about the pit. I did not back track. I just had to explain to Bridges that he didn't read the follow up text which was really just trying to help them not look as stupid as they did on the video. I tried to add context. He does not know me and I do not know him. I called it as I saw it. And the fact is it was a mess. If they knew about the brake problem for so long why was the driver saying add fluid? Maybe they should have told him the balance bar was broke? LOL

I have had plenty of disaster pits so not saying I am perfect and anyone should be. But I have never had guys fueling without any safety gear and have never had a fight break out in my pit. They need to take responsibility for the mess and learn from it. Being defensive is not helping anyone.

Maybe you should give some tips to Bridges, he could use them for sure.

Mike

PS- do not expect a "backtrack" post within 24 hours.
My point is, you don't need to provide an opinion on everything, enjoy some of your race reports, but could do with less of your opinions.

cheers

Honda48X

Reaction
Sorry but that pit was stupid and should never have people trying to go at it. I agree if this issue had been going on most of the race then why wouldn’t the driver know about the issue or just maybe when he was driving it, it actually didn’t have brakes. Some of you are way too defensive on your crappy pit. Grow up and the pit boss if you have one should have talked to the driver and asked what was going on and then once he hears what the issue is he can then provide good guidance to the driver on the situation.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
I think the pit boss in this case was also the driver of the car when the brake pedal decided to break about 400 miles earlier.

calstyl2

Reaction
Id say Green Army needs to get a 6100/Spec truck, they have done the 10, C-1, Truggy and Trophy truck, time to hammer down in the Spec class and see how it plays out, they can drive for sure.

MTPyle

Reaction
Let Justin, in his 1 Car, and Mike in his 6100 Truck sort it out in the desert. LOL

Sam

I have absolutely nothing to prove, I never made a statement about Justin’s driving. I would hope a Class 1 driven by Justin would beat us in our 6100. Haha. I would bet he would beat us driving our own truck.

It’s only the buggy guys that have something to prove.

Just like Andy just said we let our driving speak for its self. Haha unlike Andy we don’t like what ours has to say. LMAO.

Mike

Ferrari333SP

Reaction
Most TT's are using some sort of small block V8 engine design, but many are going towards a larger displacement big-block package now-a-days. Most all of these are still naturally aspirated engines, although Josh Daniels ran a twin turbo V8 engine a few years back, I think Dale Dondel of Racer Engineering may have run a turbo engine at some point as well. Turbos and superchargers were only allowed with the rule book in the past 5 years if I remember correctly.

I think most engines builders are using the earlier small block engine packages as they are very well sorted out over the past 50 years and are quite reliable for what they are subjected to. They can build these engines to just about any spec that the driver prefers, and can tune them to have a wide or narrow torque curve.

There is no size limit on displacement that I know of. I think the biggest limiting factor with how "big" of an engine one would use, is dependent on the reliability of the drivetrain. Most of these trucks have been limited to how well the trans/gearbox, driveshaft, rear gear, and axles are able to withstand the larger power. The drivetrains have been catching up in reliability quite a bit in the past 10 years, so many trucks are able to add power to the equation. This clearly turns into a bit of a vicious cycle with drivetrain companies having to catch up to engine builders and the power they produce. The most recent advancements seem to be taking place with rear gear (ring and pinion) and carrier designs.

Robby has been running a higher revving "Nascar" style engine package which is the reason for the high RPM's. I think his use of the 6-speed gearbox is more suited for this type of engine power. Where as many of the other teams are still using the 3-speed T400 auto trans that requires engines with more torque on the lower RPM to pull through the wider gear splits, and they tend not to rev as high.
Awesome, thanks for the response; yeah I assume then that, really, the only reason we're not seeing 1,500 HP engines or whatever is simply that drivetrains/gearboxes designed for that HP level and Baja reliability requirement hasn't been engineered/developed yet. I just assumed with an open rule book we'd of course see top teams running giant turbos on their trucks, but your points help make sense then of why this is not the case (yet).

As for Robby running his engine choice, what reason do you/we think he has to choice that engine route? What advantage does it give him, if any, compared to the bigger block engines most of the other teams use? Higher top speed? He happens to get a great engine supply deal from his provider? It most likely produces a bit less HP/torque than the other teams I assume?

Those DSG gearboxes you see on insane HP hypercars, that can easily handle 1,500-2,000 HP - I suppose we're far away from getting one of those that can handle the abuse a TT truck takes in a typical race

Bro_Gill

Reaction
As to the gear boxes- It isn't the horsepower that kills them, It the shock loads from gaining and losing traction that destroy the, On a pavement racer, a spinning tire regains traction with either a reduction in power to the drive tires or slowly gaining speed as the ground catches up with the tire speed. Not so in the desert. You can go from zero traction at full rotation speed to instant traction and grab at the spinning tire causing massive shock to all the drive line components. Usually, by design, something else is suppose to break in this system because transmissions mean an end to possible victory in the desert.

Last edited:

JDDurfey

Reaction
You took the words right out of my mouth Bro. There are so many other factors when it comes to desert racing. You can have all the hp in the world, but if you can't get it to the ground it will do you no good.

RYAN COHEE

Reaction
I would be willing to bet 99% of the people using the keyboard commando tactics with the Green Army pit deal haven't won a single Baja 1000 race.
Get in a truck with your friends for 5 plus days I am sure you wont want to talk for a few weeks after.

Honda48X

Reaction
I would be willing to bet 99% of the people using the keyboard commando tactics with the Green Army pit deal haven't won a single Baja 1000 race.
Get in a truck with your friends for 5 plus days I am sure you wont want to talk for a few weeks after.
Ryan, interesting comment. Are you saying all teams that have won a Baja 1000 and have been around your friends for 5 plus days together have only won because they have been in a fight? I know many teams that work as smooth as silk and win these races in their perspective class's. The Green army has been around for many years and I'm sure they have won many times without getting into a fight.

I most certainly don't treat my FRIENDS like what I saw on that video. Ryan if I was your close friend I would never get into a physical fight with you. We might disagree with each other and have a heated discussion but the attack is not called for or acceptable.

RYAN COHEE

Reaction
Ryan, interesting comment. Are you saying all teams that have won a Baja 1000 and have been around your friends for 5 plus days together have only won because they have been in a fight? I know many teams that work as smooth as silk and win these races in their perspective class's. The Green army has been around for many years and I'm sure they have won many times without getting into a fight.

I most certainly don't treat my FRIENDS like what I saw on that video. Ryan if I was your close friend I would never get into a physical fight with you. We might disagree with each other and have a heated discussion but the attack is not called for or acceptable.
What I am saying is racing is stressful at times and you can really find peoples boiling point after a race as long as the Baja 1000. The friends comment is based on racing passion/stress and fatigue they don't always mix well. Sad part is people go on the internet and talk crap as if they have been there and done it better. Come on people its Baja and people race Baja because its fun and the wild west . Take my view how you will I would rather race in Baja then have the hall monitors watching all day long like in the states.

J Prich

Reaction
What I am saying is racing is stressful at times and you can really find peoples boiling point after a race as long as the Baja 1000. The friends comment is based on racing passion/stress and fatigue they don't always mix well. Sad part is people go on the internet and talk crap as if they have been there and done it better. Come on people its Baja and people race Baja because its fun and the wild west . Take my view how you will I would rather race in Baja then have the hall monitors watching all day long like in the states.
Understand your point but in my opinion it's worth noting that off road racing and the Baja 1000 are obviously not the only places where people experience high stress, fatigue, etc. You have people here who have military experience, first responders, pilots...all kinds of careers that involve high stress, fatigue, etc. I don't think some of the "keyboarding" here was meant to personally attack any of the Green Army team, just intended as a fair critique of what was presented. With all due respect, on some level it seems like a bit of a cop out to say that it's justifiable to do some of these things simply because it was the Baja 1000. It happens, and the reasons are valid, but those reasons still don't justify that kind of behavior as a normal practice.

nohandslance

Reaction
If any one was at the Reno race, his team and driving is awesome. Just a bad day. Will never forget how he
was a beast chasing down the leader, Herbst. Great racing.

Lance