2020 SCORE Baja 500 Live Video, Weatherman, Tracking, Updates

One-Eyed Peter

Reaction
getting air lifted to the US is not a good thing. Hope he will be OK

What happened with the Pressure pro?

Mike
I was listening to the whole thing on Weatherman as it happened. From the communications I heard over the radio, the pressure pro "exploded" while they were setting it up. The crew member was severely injured, including "loss of limbs." From what I was hearing, their crew started driving him to San Felipe themselves. But then not too long after they were calling for the helicopter, which eventually picked him up. One of the worst things I've ever heard over the radio. I am praying for him and the whole team.

MTPyle

Reaction
That’s bad bad. Super bad, dang it. Hoping for the best for them during a horrible ordeal.

I need to find out what failed and make sure that can not happen to us.

Congrats to Dan. He deserves that for sure.

Mike

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
I was listening to the whole thing on Weatherman as it happened. From the communications I heard over the radio, the pressure pro "exploded" while they were setting it up. The crew member was severely injured, including "loss of limbs." From what I was hearing, their crew started driving him to San Felipe themselves. But then not too long after they were calling for the helicopter, which eventually picked him up. One of the worst things I've ever heard over the radio. I am praying for him and the whole team.
It was a pressure explosion not a fire explosion just to clarify. Broken bones (not lost limbs) from what I was told.

MTPyle

Reaction
Fish

thanks for clarifying, hopefully that’s true. Glad to hear the injuries are not as bad and initial reports.

glad there was no fire. Obviously this scares the crap out of us. Hopefully someone knows what failed so we can figured out how to fix it. With the pressure relief system it “should” not be able to explode. But the titanic should not have sank.

Mike

Tipracer

Reaction
The pressure pro has a safety relief valve... This incident was 100% attributed to circumventing the safety valve, when the tank over pressurized it burst... an unfortunate incident that absolutely could have been avoided, and it could have been much much worse. I wish the best for Ampudia’s team member and hope is is able to recover quickly.

mexgamer

Reaction
Congrats to Dan, well deserved
RG needs to keep working on his truck, but there's always something. We know he likes to do things his own way, but I believe that if he was driving a reliable truck, he would be winning a lot more. Like when he won it all driving the RPM Truggy on BITD

GBRACER

Reaction
lots of VCP penalties race like hell and then take 20 min for VCP's gotta hurt

MAC56

Reaction
Even if the relief valve was not modified the rate the gas can fill the chamber is faster than the valve used can release the energy, the design has more flaws than what should be acceptable.

Old Truck Guy

Reaction
Looks like its time to stop calling the most nimble cars in the desert golf karts.
17th overall with a 10 min VCP penalty, KM schooled most every class out there.
Can someone chime in whether or not she solo'd?
Theres gotta be TT offers on the table.

sand shark

Reaction
Looks like its time to stop calling the most nimble cars in the desert golf karts.
17th overall with a 10 min VCP penalty, KM schooled most every class out there.
Can someone chime in whether or not she solo'd?
Theres gotta be TT offers on the table.
She drives the entire race. She is unbelievably talented behind the wheel.

Baja Bryan

Reaction
Wow crazy to see all the missed VCP's from big names. Wonder if some were confusing. My worst nightmare is to win a race then taken away for me missing a VCP. I've never missed one. Would be nice if SCORE also listed the VCP numbers. Stella makes a audio tone when you hit the VCP so you know if you missed it.

Attachments

az_amsoil

Reaction
According to some guys I know who raced, the majority of the missed VCPs were on the lakebed (I think Fish also said the same thing on a FB post), so many lines and high speed, easy to skip past some while racing.

az_amsoil

Reaction
To add to the pressure explosion, I've work on teams with them and they honestly scare the hell out of me. I'll take a gravity fed tower any day over trusting my life to a rigged up pressure system. While I hate over regulation, who "certifies" these systems for use (and pressure). Fuel expands in heat, so even if you only had 5-10 psi added to the tank, the expanding fuel would add more...scary for sure. Hoping the crew member makes a full recovery.

Brandt_Anderson

"Rag Doll"
Reaction
Here are all the results and penalties.

- Overall results
- Results by class
- Penalties
As amusingly proud as I would have been to have the most penalty time of anyone by FAR and still finish in time, the penalties have been updated. That was an absolutely brutal f@&$ing race and my team worked way too hard to have the record show us short-coursing anything when we ran a perfectly clean race and spent a lot of effort hitting each VCP.

pdailey

Racer
Reaction
Kudos to SCORE for putting on a great event. The course was really fun. I thought they did a phenomenal job with their COVID protocols at tech and registration as well. It was great seeing the Baja fans out on course too. Missed Baja so much.

Some VCPs were very confusing and in goofy spots. I don’t understand why they would put on in the middle of a wash. There’s no corners to cut in the middle of a canyon wash. We got on the wrong line by mistake and missed one. Judging by all the tracks on that line, I’m sure I wasn’t the only one to miss it.

BrentB

Reaction
Oh that’s all.
It was a pressure explosion not a fire explosion just to clarify. Broken bones (not lost limbs) from what I was told.
Way to minimize it.

Care to comment on why some teams VCP penalties were removed and some weren’t?

BrentB

Reaction
Vcp are put in confusing spots every race, Everyone has to opportunity to see where they are and make a way to get to them. Jose G and the team do an incredible job of this and are always testing the racers with difficult ones, also keeping in the true creative nature of the sport. But everyone should be able to see which Vcp the penalties are applied to, not just the time for it, which ones were missed. This shouldn’t be kept in secret either or we will have more tarnished results.
Kudos to SCORE for putting on a great event. The course was really fun. I thought they did a phenomenal job with their COVID protocols at tech and registration as well. It was great seeing the Baja fans out on course too. Missed Baja so much.

Some VCPs were very confusing and in goofy spots. I don’t understand why they would put on in the middle of a wash. There’s no corners to cut in the middle of a canyon wash. We got on the wrong line by mistake and missed one. Judging by all the tracks on that line, I’m sure I wasn’t the only one to miss it.

BrentB

Reaction
Yes the penalty report needs to have the numbers of the VCPs that we’re missed
You don’t get to hear the beep of a cleared VCP over the roar of an engine and the lcd display of it doesn’t stay up long enough to always confirm it. Stella is leaps and bounds better than the garbage the other series uses but still lots of room for imprement.
Wow crazy to see all the missed VCP's from big names. Wonder if some were confusing. My worst nightmare is to win a race then taken away for me missing a VCP. I've never missed one. Would be nice if SCORE also listed the VCP numbers. Stella makes a audio tone when you hit the VCP so you know if you missed it.