2020 SCORE Baja 500 Live Video, Weatherman, Tracking, Updates

Brandt_Anderson

"Rag Doll"
Mine were removed because they were penalizing us for taking the sportsman short cut. My class was required to take the short cut. Just an oversight by SCORE on the initial report.

Oh that’s all.

Way to minimize it.

Care to comment on why some teams VCP penalties were removed and some weren’t?

BrentB

Definitely not what I’m talking about, but I bet Fish does. There were some VCP penalties that were overturned. So if everyone in the entire race missed a VCP, then that is a bad VCP. If one person got it and everyone else missed it then there is one person following the rules and everyone else either made a mistake or they made the choice to take a 10min penalty. You miss it you miss it, you broke the rule, not an excuse why it was missed and leniency, it’s the rule. I have made drivers loop back for a missed VCP or one that didn’t register not backwards on course. JoseG told me the only reason for the removal of the penalty was because we looped back through it again(still didn’t register), but penalty would have stuck had we not pooped back.
Mine were removed because they were penalizing us for taking the sportsman short cut. My class was required to take the short cut. Just an oversight by SCORE on the initial report.

Last edited:

Ferrari333SP

Being a newb towards the mechanics of these trucks, are the problems RG mentioned he had easily fixable? Preventable? Were they due to the high temperatures they raced in?

Ferrari333SP

Also, what are the plusses/minuses of the engine RG runs, versus the engines (what seems like) all the other trucks run? RG's engine seems to rev higher (Nascar-derived engine, if I'm not mistaken; correct me if I'm wrong). Most other trucks have deeper grumbling engines; do they have more torque than RG has?

MTPyle

I think RG’s engine was an advantage a couple years ago but no way it’s making the power the néw TT Gibb’s engine is. The Gibbs engine is crazy.

And even the other new TT engines out there are pretty strong.

RG’s truck is super light and has great aero and he still maxes out at 140mph. Herbst truck with Gibbs engine can go 155+, and I assume a Herbst truck is heavier and not as good of aero.

Mike

az_amsoil

I think RG’s engine was an advantage a couple years ago but no way it’s making the power the néw TT Gibb’s engine is. The Gibbs engine is crazy.

And even the other new TT engines out there are pretty strong.

RG’s truck is super light and has great aero and he still maxes out at 140mph. Herbst truck with Gibbs engine can go 155+, and I assume a Herbst truck is heavier and not as good of aero.

Mike
IMO, this WAS the race for the Gibbs engine. SF is pretty open and flat out until the southern part of the course. In most Baja races you are not going to be able to hit 120-140MPH extended. I think those who where behind Robby had the advantage of matching pace and then pushing when they needed. VPC's bit a couple, but I think he is in a great B1000 position. Super happy for Dan and (again) big blue McMillian for the win! Great family and super good team.

ekozy39

Anyone hear if SCORE had someone on Guadalupe Cyn Rd where VCP A-D (40ft) were? Meeting notes said "can be DQ", but during our pre-run saw a lot of lines hitting VCPs then bouncing out then back to the main rd. I didn't see DQ's for it, surprising to be honest.

Bricoop

Being a newb towards the mechanics of these trucks, are the problems RG mentioned he had easily fixable? Preventable? Were they due to the high temperatures they raced in?
RGM designed a truck with many new components and designs. The most radical change being the conversion to an AWD the front diff also supports the front of the truck, rhe suspension components tie into it. (Someone with more technical knowledge can describe it better than me.) The design eliminates much of the structure of the front end. It also has an unknown portal hub design, a new wheel design, and in-board brakes. Many people on here are skeptical of the reliabilisty of these items.
The failures in its first two races aren’t related to these major changes. One was a new jack design that didn’t work. He also mentioned in the video he posted about the fluid boiling. Unknown if the design led to it. The other was a broken drive lines. RG claims to be running one of the largest driveshafts in the sport, he claims it broke due to a manufacturing/assembly error. If you go to speed UTV youtube you can watch videos explaining the new differential, which is based on the TT. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Curtis Guise

Administrator
As amusingly proud as I would have been to have the most penalty time of anyone by FAR and still finish in time, the penalties have been updated. That was an absolutely brutal f@&$ing race and my team worked way too hard to have the record show us short-coursing anything when we ran a perfectly clean race and spent a lot of effort hitting each VCP.
Updated files.

- Overall race results
- Results by class
- Penalties

Chris_Wilson

What happened to Broc Dickerson just after the start? He looked strong in qualifying.

mxben

Why did all but one Class 10 DNF?

Did they pull a start + pull out for B1K start position? Or just get stuck / mechanical?

MTPyle

Isn't this the second time the Lawrence truck caught on fire? Didn't it burn at Laughlin in the same spot on the chassis?
Yes I think you are right. I think the Laughlin fire was on the co driver side. But yes both were in the cab area. Seems like they have a design problem they need to fix. Scary place to have a fire as the crew cant get out without going thru the flames.

Mike

Keith_SD

It was a great time for most of us in Baja for the 500 this year. Not having fans at the start/finish meant there were thousands out on the course having fun with their friends and family. No issues at the border either way for us too. Big time racing is back in Baja! I hope the success of this race can continue for the B1K.
Clips of TT and Class 11