2021 Baja 1000 Talk

swiftracing5

RDC Crypto
I am still confused. I know the rules very well and would like to clarify anything that you have questions on, but I don't understand what you are implying.
I believe he’s referring to the severe penalty for gaining track position from alternate lines?

They really don’t want us going off the marked course...

Hagles are probably directly referring to what to do at silt bottlenecks?

mxben

Solutions
RDC Crypto
I believe he’s referring to the severe penalty for gaining track position from alternate lines?

They really don’t want us going off the marked course...

Hagles are probably directly referring to what to do at silt bottlenecks?

Correct. B500 there was a major course deviation by several that didn't incur any type of penalty.

What happens if we avoid something and go a half mile of course but still hit the VCP's ?? Its fkn vague and not enforced consistently.

The OG's of the sport seem to know exactly how much you can get away with - I'm just not there yet.

swiftracing5

RDC Crypto
Correct. B500 there was a major course deviation by several that didn't incur any type of penalty.

What happens if we avoid something and go a half mile of course but still hit the VCP's ?? Its fkn vague and not enforced consistently.

The OG's of the sport seem to know exactly how much you can get away with - I'm just not there yet.
I know people rent stellas for the prerun and also have a GoPro dedicated to recording the Stella screen in the race in case they are penalized. And I’m sure the OGs have more clout with the race director than “us”? Even though they’ve been handing out penalties to everyone at the top lately it seems like.

I also think it’s only a problem if A) you get protested or B) it’s noticed on public tracking and the mob calls you out ?

Seems hard and to enforce/explain. I agree on that.

Chainguide

RDC Crypto

I hear you about "knowing exactly how much you can get away with". It was because of the scoring fiasco of the 2009 baja 500, that I got involved and was determined to find out. SCORE is usually aware of where and why bottlenecks are occurring. The GPS files are extremely accurate and you can really see what was going on. Having experienced racers in SCORE OPs, knowing the course very well, reading the speeds as things are developing, having the helicopters get eyes on the situation if possible, all come to play for the race director to make informed decisions as to when these kind of situations arise.

redline

RDC Crypto
It Is a BS rule that SCORE uses as far as deviations go. The technical part of it is hit the vcp and youre good for the most part. Also you cant blatantly cut miles off the course, but as long as it isnt in the specific "do not use" list than they tend to not care as long as you hit the vcps.
The bad part of that rule that they do not really talk about is that if anything happens more that 60' in each direction from the marked gps line insurance does NOT cover you.

mxben

Solutions
RDC Crypto
FALSE, have you seen how many top dawgs have been penalized or DQ'd lately?

I believe at the SF250, at VCP17 there was a line being used directly west of the main line that is at one point .4 of a mile off the marked course. 3 notable racers took that line - definitely not gonna name names but it just seems to be a situation where maybe if no one got hurt and nothing was perceived to be gained it isnt an issue.

My intentions aren't to ruin the creativity and magic that racing in baja provides but just understand what I can get away with if I am avoiding a potential hazard.

Chainguide

RDC Crypto
I believe at the SF250, at VCP17 there was a line being used directly west of the main line that is at one point .4 of a mile off the marked course. 3 notable racers took that line - definitely not gonna name names but it just seems to be a situation where maybe if no one got hurt and nothing was perceived to be gained it isnt an issue.

My intentions aren't to ruin the creativity and magic that racing in baja provides but just understand what I can get away with if I am avoiding a potential hazard.
VCP17SF2021.jpg

Do you mean here? I drew a 1/4 mile yellow line for reference.

Chainguide

RDC Crypto
The line after that right turn, more west
I guess I'd have to see the actual racer's track to explain, but is is pretty much open desert in that area. The VCPs are designed to keep racers from cutting through sensitive areas, such as farm fields, Indian burial grounds and environmental areas, etc. They are also there to discourage short coursing. But running a parallel line in open desert should be allowable in my opinion and if SCORE has a problem with that, then they can add another VCP to curtail it. True open desert racing is using the desert terrain to your best ability. VCPs are a necessary evil but at the same time, having too many of them causes too many opportunities to earn penalties and that takes the fun out of racing. Myself, coming from a moto background, we are used to having to seek a parallel line in order to try and pass through a competitor's dust. We just can't charge blindly through the dust like a trophy truck can. We can die doing what we do.

Curtis Guise

Administrator
RDC Crypto
Website
www.offroadaction.com

Chainguide

RDC Crypto

mv181aa

RDC Crypto
Is there a way to get a chase truck in and out of San Juanico towing a big heavy trailer on the access roads west of the race course ? I see a water crossing of some kind on that route and want to know if its an established bridge or a donkey bridge... thanks for any input.
I chased in 2017 and dragged an empty car hauler from San Ignacio to San Juanico from the north during pre-run. We crossed water twice with a pretty good pucker of a climb on the way out. I wouldn't do it loaded or without 4x4 and aggressive tires. We got delayed in the dump near El Datil just off the racecourse and had to use trailer ramps for traction boards. The tide crossings were firm if you didn't stray off the line at all. 2wd Rangers with Panga run it all day. I'd say we got lucky and would recommend that route for adventure only. Race day we ran from Santa Rosalia before dawn to get to our check, I recall was near 680 to 720ish. I'd go that route.

mxben

Solutions
RDC Crypto
I chased in 2017 and dragged an empty car hauler from San Ignacio to San Juanico from the north during pre-run. We crossed water twice with a pretty good pucker of a climb on the way out. I wouldn't do it loaded or without 4x4 and aggressive tires. We got delayed in the dump near El Datil just off the racecourse and had to use trailer ramps for traction boards. The tide crossings were firm if you didn't stray off the line at all. 2wd Rangers with Panga run it all day. I'd say we got lucky and would recommend that route for adventure only. Race day we ran from Santa Rosalia before dawn to get to our check, I recall was near 680 to 720ish. I'd go that route.

Was referring to coming in from the south. Looks like there is at least two times where you cross over some tidal creeks. I seem to be getting that its paved all the way in but still curious about the crossings.

Part of our team will have to travel that road late at night.