2021 Baja 1000 Talk

E.Hagle

RDC Crypto
My brother and I will be tackling the peninsula between the two of us in our class ten. Is it possible to do 3 driver swaps, around every 250-300 miles? Most likely every other BFG pit. Just curious if a chase truck can beat the race car in a leapfrog fashion.

mv181aa

RDC Crypto
My brother and I will be tackling the peninsula between the two of us in our class ten. Is it possible to do 3 driver swaps, around every 250-300 miles? Most likely every other BFG pit. Just curious if a chase truck can beat the race car in a leapfrog fashion.
From my experience, it's easier to stage a chase truck at each driver change the day before. Lots more sleep, less risk. Chase 1 from the start, chase 2 at first driver change, chase 3 at the last swap. There are volunteers with experience that don't mind crashing in a Palapa a couple of nights and eating tacos to keep your drivers safe. It's more fun at the finish when everybody arrives safely.

JDDurfey

RDC Crypto
If the course stays on the Pacific side up north a chase truck can keep up until San Ignacio. But the highway is so much longer than the race course after that I doubt your chase truck will keep up with a Class 10. I guess now with the road paved south of SF a chase truck could keep up on that side too. Back when I was racing, highway 5 was the race course so chase vehicles pretty much stopped at Puertocitos and another chase truck would wait at Chapala or El Crucero. Our first chase truck would go home once the bike was past Puertocitos. There was no point in them going back around because they would never catch up.

It also depends on the course route.

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
I would love to have just 3 trucks static at crew change but we need to fuel mid way between crew changes.

We will have 3 drivers and 3 fuel trucks. So there is still movement and leap frogging. We can go 200 miles on a tank and each driver will do 400 total. I dont see how we can do it with less than 3 chase trucks with Pressure pros. We have 2 Pressure Pros now and need to find a 3rd to rent. Or we partner with a team on the 3rd pressure pro but then we have to run race gas for part of the race, not a big deal but its more money and less power for us. If we partner we have to fill at least one of our PP with race gas. So many variables. LOL

We plan to use Baja pits for other pit support.

Mike

E.Hagle

RDC Crypto
My dad insists on following the car down the entire way and swapping driving duties with minimum one other guy. My corider and I will be waiting and the first pit with another chase truck. Possibly we’ll find a 3rd truck. But we’ll still need THAT chase truck to beat us to the next pit regardless of how many trucks there are total. We’ll figure it out. Currently 6 cars back from our tech speech at the 400 so I’ll focus on this race first

swiftracing5

RDC Crypto
I would love to have just 1 pressure pro.

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
I would love to have just 1 pressure pro.

You would be a crazy dangerous irresponsible idiot if you had a pressure pro. Haha Don't do it, be safe.

We own one and have one we are borrowing, and need to rent a 3rd. We are just that crazy.

Mike

JDDurfey

RDC Crypto
Any rumors on the course route? I think it would be cool to see a 1000 go through Mike's like the 07 peninsula run did. It sure made for some challenging logistics. Several teams got bit in the butt because they sent all their crews south and then had issues around Valley T. If I recall correctly Andy M lost an alternator and his crew had to back track from down on highway 1 to repair the truck.

However, now that highway 5 is paved it wouldn't be as difficult to chase from highway 3 back to highway 1.

DRZ_Motorsports_119

RDC Crypto
Any rumors on the course route? I think it would be cool to see a 1000 go through Mike's like the 07 peninsula run did. It sure made for some challenging logistics. Several teams got bit in the butt because they sent all their crews south and then had issues around Valley T. If I recall correctly Andy M lost an alternator and his crew had to back track from down on highway 1 to repair the truck.

However, now that highway 5 is paved it wouldn't be as difficult to chase from highway 3 back to highway 1.
Colton Udall said at the finish line of the Baja 400, that it's going to be 1300 miles (hard to tell if true or joking) before calling out the Honda 1x Team for a good old fashion Mano a Mano ( 2 vs 2) peninsula run showdown.

Chainguide

RDC Crypto
Colton Udall said at the finish line of the Baja 400, that it's going to be 1300 miles (hard to tell if true or joking) before calling out the Honda 1x Team for a good old fashion Mano a Mano ( 2 vs 2) peninsula run showdown.
Probably 1,100 would be more realistic

swiftracing5

RDC Crypto
I don’t think we will go pacific side until Scorpion bay. You see how limited the pacific side has been lately. I think that’ll eliminate anything other than a basic valle t to Mike’s “loop”.

JDDurfey

RDC Crypto
The roads we ran in 07 from Vicente Guerrero to El Rosario were tight and twisty. It made for some slow going from Mike's all the way to El Rosario. I think we averaged like 25 mph through a bunch of that in a Class 1 car.

notime

NTR Films media guy
RDC Crypto
Website
www.codeoffroad.com.mx
I heard at tech around 1250 miles so makes sense

mxben

Solutions
RDC Crypto

NO THANKS

TRAVISD

RDC Crypto
Website
www.motoseat.com
Here is what i am thinking,

Ojos
Valley T
Cross over road
down the cost
El Rosario
Catavina
El Crucero
Bay of La
Viscaiano
San Ignacio
then the rest as we have done in the past

Fourstroker

RDC Crypto
The roads we ran in 07 from Vicente Guerrero to El Rosario were tight and twisty. It made for some slow going from Mike's all the way to El Rosario. I think we averaged like 25 mph through a bunch of that in a Class 1 car.
You were n the V10 car right? Helped fuel you guys at El Rosario

Goober

RDC Crypto
Would be nice if they could run the pine forest to Rumarosara, then down to San Felipe or over to Mike’s. The Ojos to Valle T needs a break. Is there any route from the San Felipe to the coast that isn’t the new highway?