2021 Baja Nevada

MTPyle

Reaction
Sorry. I meant top 3 on corrected time on day 2. We were running 5th all day on day 2 and that was being slowed down by slower vehicles. I guess your point is the top 3 6100 on day 2 on corrected time were also being slowed down but I am not sure of that. It will be interesting to see the data when we get it done.

Good conversation. I am the first to admit I am looking at something wrong. That’s why I love the data. Only problem with the data is it does not include all the Herbst trucks. LOL.

Mike

CHASETHISTOO

Reaction
Maybe racing trax can chime in here...make the pass signal display show up in different colors for different class, if its not your class, such as a TT, 1, 6100 coming up behind sxs, 10, take your pick, you have to move over?
I brought this up to Dave with Racing Trax after the first legacy race where a class 1 held me up and I lost by 7 seconds. I feel that if the class one had known it was a different class behind him he would have probably let me pass. Yes he was 2nd in his class but he was 11 minutes down to first. Travis Williams and i were literally battling all the way to the finish and I lost. Dave said that it is too difficult to do because you would have to program each unit individually to recognize who you were catching. I'm sure there is a way but maybe the technology isn't here yet.

JerryB

Reaction
I'll be the first to say I'm not tech savvy but it would seem to me... the lights on the units are led correct? They can be programmed to display just about any color. Set aside X number of units for each class and hand out accordingly. If I see a red pass display I know it's a TT, 1, 6100 and get out of the way (I know I would at least, can't speak for everyone), if I see yellow i know it's a sxs, 10, 5 or whatever mid tier speed car and i decide if i can hold them off, down to say green display for 16, 9, 11. And like it's been mentioned here, if I'm being run down by these who am I really racing at that point? Colors, classes lumped together up for discussion.

Just a thought, I don't think this would be that difficult to accomplish, but racing trax needs to chime in on this

cynicwanderer

Reaction
I'll be the first to say I'm not tech savvy but it would seem to me... the lights on the units are led correct? They can be programmed to display just about any color. Set aside X number of units for each class and hand out accordingly. If I see a red pass display I know it's a TT, 1, 6100 and get out of the way (I know I would at least, can't speak for everyone), if I see yellow i know it's a sxs, 10, 5 or whatever mid tier speed car and i decide if i can hold them off, down to say green display for 16, 9, 11. And like it's been mentioned here, if I'm being run down by these who am I really racing at that point? Colors, classes lumped together up for discussion.

Just a thought, I don't think this would be that difficult to accomplish, but racing trax needs to chime in on this
I suspect what he is talking about, is that each unit doesn't know the race#/class that it is attached to, it just has a electronic serial number and it's the software on the back end that maps the electronic serial number to your race number and class, to display on the leader board, etc... the electronic serial number is from the satellite modem, kind of like the EIN of a cell phone, this way all of the units can have the same software on it and can be interchanged easily if one fails. if you want it to know what your race#/class is, then each unit needs to be programmed uniquely. I guess you could program a bunch of each class, but then you still have to do a lot of unique programming.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
The other thing being skipped here is this- If you start day 2 by class finish, then the little guys who had to work their butts off to pass those heavy hitter back marker winnings donors in the 'Big League Classes' will have to do it all over again on day 2. Seems fair, right?

MTPyle

Reaction
So then start in the same order we came in on day 1. that would be fair.

Really 3 options for restart

1.in same order as day 1
2.corrected but in same class
3.Corrected time

Personally I think 3rd is the worse of the 3. I would have been happy with 1 or 2

Mike

10 shot

Reaction
It's hard because some teams have a slower driver on day one and a faster driver on day 2 so now day 2 driver is being held up . Or the other way around. No easy answer and I think that's just desert racing and what makes it interesting. I myself have lost track of how may races I have lost over a slower class driver not pulling over for miles and miles. I would say it's the worst on the graded road races like v2r and why I'm not interested in running those anymore but they almost had me with the rtov till that switched it back again 🤣

Rcamp99

Reaction
I really have never seen a penalty for bumping a utv. I've done it and seen it done by a tt of course unless you flat run them over.

Agreed. Quote got messed up but it was 10 shot (HT RACING alt account) Who i was Quoting
So should the sa

So should the same argument that the TT guys always use about bikes in Baja be applied here? You get passed by a slower class and you need to park it?
😂🤔
The other thing being skipped here is this- If you start day 2 by class finish, then the little guys who had to work their butts off to pass those heavy hitter back marker winnings donors in the 'Big League Classes' will have to do it all over again on day 2. Seems fair, right?
I agree. A lot of the UTV guys had to bust their ass passing other classes who were limping or driving hurt vehicles only to have to sit in their dust again the next day if some hobbyist(Andy’s words) 6100 rental driver gets to start in front because his wallet bought him a ride in a 6100 . Doesn’t seem fair. Start in the order they finish day 1 seems to be the best solution to this.

One-Eyed Peter

Reaction
What a great event put on by Legacy! We got knocked out very early, but everything about the event was top notch. The officials, the volunteers, the process. We needed recovery not once, but twice and they came very quickly and were super-friendly. Definitely faster than our ragtag chase guys would have gotten there if allowed to. Haha. Beautiful course, beautifully organized!

Aflac

Reaction
I brought this up to Dave with Racing Trax after the first legacy race where a class 1 held me up and I lost by 7 seconds. I feel that if the class one had known it was a different class behind him he would have probably let me pass. Yes he was 2nd in his class but he was 11 minutes down to first. Travis Williams and i were literally battling all the way to the finish and I lost. Dave said that it is too difficult to do because you would have to program each unit individually to recognize who you were catching. I'm sure there is a way but maybe the technology isn't here yet.
No dog in this fight but...if the guy that beat you got around the guy that was "holding you up" you should have been able to get around this guy too if you were as fast or faster...maybe a better pit stop or more pressure on the skinny pedal????
I just like reading all the post in this thread and others about how it was someone else fault why they got beat. There are many factors that happen in a 250-1000 mile race that could have saved you the 7 seconds....
Not bashing you or your post...it's desert racing figure it out or head to asphalt and deal with lapped traffic...6 to one 1/2 a dozen to another.
Roost on my brothers

cynicwanderer

Reaction
my personal experience is that P2P doesn't work very well, and at best, it's a distraction, especially if you're on a bike or quad. if you're in a smaller/slower (bike/quad/utv/etc), it's in your best interest to check your rear view mirror often to avoid getting hit by an overtaking vehicle (i.e. don't rely solely on electronic tech). it's not like you can't see them coming way in advance in the fast sections. also, not paying attention to your surroundings (situational awareness) seems like a bad skill for a driver. if you want to be that guy who believes they are invincible, doesn't pay attention and won't pull over when there is a safe place, then you deserve to be squeezed/bumped, blue light or not. not saying that there aren't those that will ram you and run you off the road, anyway.

Last edited:

EL ROMAN

Reaction
The desert isn't fair. But essentially, yes, you still have to work to get the win and/or finish. This happens in every other form of racing except drag racing. Yellow flag comes out, everyone gets packed again. Red flag comes out, restart in the same order, but on grid positions (not based on the lead you had prior to the flag). Yes, that racer worked hard on day one, but they key is they gained time on anyone starting behind them. So even in Mike's case, he not only needed to pass the guys in front of him, he needed to make up for lost time from day 1. Still think the most fair, most competitive, and safer option would be to rerack based on class or car category finish position from day 1. I actually would prefer by car category, as it sorta creates the grudge match that Dave Cole created at KOH.

TMorford

Reaction
We are due for a mig29 post...

Season 5 No GIF by The Office

CHASETHISTOO

Reaction
No dog in this fight but...if the guy that beat you got around the guy that was "holding you up" you should have been able to get around this guy too if you were as fast or faster...maybe a better pit stop or more pressure on the skinny pedal????
I just like reading all the post in this thread and others about how it was someone else fault why they got beat. There are many factors that happen in a 250-1000 mile race that could have saved you the 7 seconds....
Not bashing you or your post...it's desert racing figure it out or head to asphalt and deal with lapped traffic...6 to one 1/2 a dozen to another.
Roost on my brothers
No offence taken I can handle abuse. haha. I agree with what you are saying but this was literally in the last 5 miles of the race. Maybe if i had caught him sooner i would have had more time to get around him. But you're right I own some of the 7 seconds.

MTPyle

Reaction
Here is my qualifying run. Man what a mess. LOL Truck was fast and dialed but I made so many mistakes. The two wheel in the middle was way worse in real life, I swear. I think I just exaggerate everything in my mind. LOL haha

if I would not had such a crap qualifying run the day 2 starting order would not have mattered. Hehe

Last edited: