2021 Baja Nevada

MTPyle

Reaction
Just so we are clear. I have respect for other classes and the UTV’s are fast. I don’t care about getting beat by a UTV on corrected. I have zero ego about that. For some reason people think we care about that. We don’t.

I already got a bunch of idiots saying I am just hurt because I got beat by a UTV. Could not be more
Wrong. We beat ourselves again with driver mistakes. I had not driven for a very long time a simply messed up on day 1 and wasted time. Has nothing to do with other classes.

This is a safety issue for us. You can not tap a blue light vehicle. It’s no different than starting a Motorcycle in front of us on day 2.

Mike

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
after sleeping on it I think I will leave the drama alone.

Total Loss

Reaction
I think it just after pit 4. Had been chasing Freddie for quite a while, clipped a rock and bent a wheel, inner tire bead came off. Great job guys congrats on the finish.
Thanks...
Ran into your crew at pit 5 I believe...I told them driver had strict orders not to let him pass you...lol

CHASETHISTOO

Reaction
We had a great weekend and love racing with Legacy. They are on time, allow us to qualify, and genuinely care about the racers and crew.

We started out qualifying second just two seconds off the pole. Chasen and I were stuck in slower TT and Class 1 dust until pit 3 then we were off to the races. He got a flat shortly after pit 4 and we passed him. Then it was my turn...I got my flat after pit 6 and he got me back. We finished day 1 2nd physically but 6th on time. (we had a snaffu during our tire change and cost us serious time.) Day 2 we pushed hard picking people off and making up a bunch of time. We took the day 2 win but came up short by 1:14. Thats 2 second place finishes in legacy both by narrow margins. Looking forward to the last round and hope to be on top of the box.

Steve_Sourapas

Reaction
Website
stevesourapas.com
Well race week started off with a piss poor qualifying effort by me 11th out of 15. Started the race hoping we could quickly get by the slower trucks in front of us but the dust just didn't let up so we had to run their pace. Got to the transfer section right on the #87 truck ass and my bad I didn't really understand on how the transfer section worked and I should have just dropped back 10 minutes and got the time credit and run dust free but instead at the end of the transfer section they held me for 20 seconds and we ate more dust for miles until we got a flat which Evan quickly changed. Stopped at the pit to rack another tire and tie down the hood down better which took way to long and now the 40 truck went by and now I'm really pissed. Was able to get around the 40 and ran a good consistent pace until the end of day 1 for a 7th on the road finish. This is where the fun started happening. I had a colonoscopy 7 days before and they had to cut out some polyps and since I wasn't having any issues at all figured it would be OK to race. Well that was a poor decision as Friday night I started bleeding and it really scared me as being in Tonopah isn't exactly where you want to deal with a health issue. Called my doctor and he said you are done racing this weekend. We were just going to pull out of the race as we had no one else qualified to drive the truck with us but then I called Rob Mac who was there helping his son and asked him if he would drive day 2 for me. Not only did he say yes but he knows that truck very well and he did an outstanding job and got the truck up to 5th overall after having to start behind many vehicles. Had a great time at my first Legacy race and loved the track. The Geiser # 6 may be old but it's still a blast to drive as it's a very reliable truck. Thanks to Evan Weller and his team for preparing the truck which ran perfect both days. Also BIG thanks to DRE, Rancho Transmission, Fox Shox, BF Goodrich, Maxima, Baja Designs, Power Steering Solutions, KMC Wheels, and Kartek for their continued support.

Total Loss

Reaction
Well race week started off with a piss poor qualifying effort by me 11th out of 15. Started the race hoping we could quickly get by the slower trucks in front of us but the dust just didn't let up so we had to run their pace. Got to the transfer section right on the #87 truck ass and my bad I didn't really understand on how the transfer section worked and I should have just dropped back 10 minutes and got the time credit and run dust free but instead at the end of the transfer section they held me for 20 seconds and we ate more dust for miles until we got a flat which Evan quickly changed. Stopped at the pit to rack another tire and tie down the hood down better which took way to long and now the 40 truck went by and now I'm really pissed. Was able to get around the 40 and ran a good consistent pace until the end of day 1 for a 7th on the road finish. This is where the fun started happening. I had a colonoscopy 7 days before and they had to cut out some polyps and since I wasn't having any issues at all figured it would be OK to race. Well that was a poor decision as Friday night I started bleeding and it really scared me as being in Tonopah isn't exactly where you want to deal with a health issue. Called my doctor and he said you are done racing this weekend. We were just going to pull out of the race as we had no one else qualified to drive the truck with us but then I called Rob Mac who was there helping his son and asked him if he would drive day 2 for me. Not only did he say yes but he knows that truck very well and he did an outstanding job and got the truck up to 5th overall after having to start behind many vehicles. Had a great time at my first Legacy race and loved the track. The Geiser # 6 may be old but it's still a blast to drive as it's a very reliable truck. Thanks to Evan Weller and his team for preparing the truck which ran perfect both days. Also BIG thanks to DRE, Rancho Transmission, Fox Shox, BF Goodrich, Maxima, Baja Designs, Power Steering Solutions, KMC Wheels, and Kartek for their continued support.
Bleeding stop? You all good?

Rcamp99

Reaction
Was great seeing you racing again Steve. Really thought you would of put one of the kids in!

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
Steve, did Evan navigate for Rob?

swiftracing5

Reaction
on corrected time yes. But we did not get passed by any class 5 or UTV on day 1. We had a driveline issue and a bent wheel that put us down 16min.

We finished with full size vehicles on day 1.

in my opinion they should have either started day 2 in how we physically finished day 1 or group back into classes with corrected time.

We had 5 small vehicles start ahead of us to get to the full size vehicles. We just happened to get the worst case scenario.

there is nothing more scary than racing thru dust and thinking you might run over a small vehicle. So you can’t race normal pace without taking some serious risk for you and the smaller vehicles.

Mike
So you’re saying class 5s should get benched behind 6100 even though they both beat you day 1? Did they hold you up on day 2 or something?

UTVs I totally agree. Yes We are sensitive but we can handle nerfing lol

MTPyle

Reaction
Wasn’t attacking the class 5 so chill. Haha

never said they couldn’t be nerfed or moved. In fact we had a Class1 right in front of us on day 2. Wasn’t a big deal and got by him pretty fast as we knew we could push thru his dust and get to him. I had passed him on day 1 and had to give him a tap to motivate him to move over.

I do get nervous around any class that the engine is in the rear. Class 10 and Class 5 still make me nervous. But in my experience class 5 guys move. It’s the class 10 and UTV that seem to have something to prove and a chip on their shoulder.

and yes when a slower vehicle is in front of you in bad dust it slows you down. The class 5 beat us on corrected only because we had a couple problems on day 1. They are not as fast and do slow us up.

If you think class 5 is as fast as 6100 when both have no problems then you have not been paying attention.

Yes I know I will get crap for this post but it’s just my opinion. You can think I am aidiot and move on. LOL.

Mike

Steve_Sourapas

Reaction
Website
stevesourapas.com
Was great seeing you racing again Steve. Really thought you would of put one of the kids in!
Both boys weren't there. You don't help or work on the truck you don't get to drive. Both boys are truly great kids but you have to earn the right to drive at our team. We are a very small team and we only bring people to the race that actually can work on the truck now.

Last edited:

Total Loss

Reaction
Wasn’t attacking the class 5 so chill. Haha

never said they couldn’t be nerfed or moved. In fact we had a Class1 right in front of us on day 2. Wasn’t a big deal and got by him pretty fast as we knew we could push thru his dust and get to him. I had passed him on day 1 and had to give him a tap to motivate him to move over.

I do get nervous around any class that the engine is in the rear. Class 10 and Class 5 still make me nervous. But in my experience class 5 guys move. It’s the class 10 and UTV that seem to have something to prove and a chip on their shoulder.

and yes when a slower vehicle is in front of you in bad dust it slows you down. The class 5 beat us on corrected only because we had a couple problems on day 1. They are not as fast and do slow us up.

If you think class 5 is as fast as 6100 when both have no problems then you have not been paying attention.

Yes I know I will get crap for this post but it’s just my opinion. You can think I am aidiot and move on. LOL.

Mike
Some do have a chip no doubt.
We had a 6100 10 sec behind us going through a pit...I called the driver and he pulled over just after exiting the pit...that's what we do.
I think I saw your hood at one pit...you get it back?
Nice to see you guys at this race...I am cheering you on BTW...
And I agree on the day 2 start stuff...we discussed that at our meeting prior to day 2...all races for th add t matter...you guys get down time and we know you are coming...

Honda48X

Reaction
I know Mike and he is a true sportsman. He is good with UTV’s as he has one for prerunning, and I have been in his UTV at a very fast pace over some narly whoops in San Felipe.

I agree Mike approaching a smaller UTV in dust can be dangerous to those in the UTV. I wish people would listen to the push to pass and just accept it.

PS: thanks for the items in the Casita. Very nice! Also thanks for the other items shipped!