2021 KOH Toyo Desert Challenge - Live video, scoring and updates

ONE_RJ

Reaction
How can this race not be one of the most important races of the year to a T1 team?
The build up, contingency, live coverage, spectators, race course, team cost & logistics and prize purse all speak for itself.

Many I talked with were disappointed that a lot of the best teams didn’t show up to compete with the best that did show.

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
How can this race not be one of the most important races of the year to a T1 team?
The build up, contingency, live coverage, spectators, race course, team cost & logistics and prize purse all speak for itself.

Many I talked with were disappointed that a lot of the best teams didn’t show up to compete with the best that did show.
There should be 40-50 teams at this race minimum. I don’t get it either...

stephenrjking

Reaction
their scared
Of what, though? V2R got more participants last year, and Bryce is just as dominant there. Yeah, the pandemic affected that, but it's affecting this year, too, and KOH is more of a sure thing than the SCORE races. Justin Lofton isn't running BITD this year, so there's seemingly no reason he can't field one of his trucks there. Maybe Rob Mac has funding issues, because he showed up without his truck for the week and ran Greg Adler's desert lap. And the Mint is a big deal, of course, but it isn't a championship race any more than KOH, and mid-field guys have no more opportunity to win there than at KOH, and people still turn out for it.

It's not just the pandemic, either, because participation was tight last year, too.

jon coleman

Reaction
me personally ?, i think its the fact the tt are playing second fiddle, they're Not the ' big show', koh IS rock hopping, even though the coverage is second to none sponsor -wise,& tt get better exposure than other events, i just feel this race week is for jeeps& rocks( rDc, lets hear it, whats a good excuse??

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
@Curtis Guise thanks for creating the daily threads and providing a consolidated resource to keep track of the action! Last week was probably the most KOH action I've watched. Glad the event was able to happen.

Thanks. I was out there for 4 of the 8 days of racing and it was awesome. Other than the masks, temp check and testing it all seemed like business as usual and they did an excellent job of making it all happen with what they had to deal with leading up to race week. With the testing and temp checks at the welcome gate, it looked like they had it all dialed in and the lines weren't any longer than previous years if I remember right.
I still have a highlight video to edit for the T1 race and EMC/4400 races. @havahockey killed it all week with the coverage of each race for the homepage.

MTPyle

Reaction
I really think the reason many of the T1 guys didn't show up is the accommodations. Dry camping a large group is really hard. Especially when many if not all of the team are volunteers, Its hard to pack a bunch of people into trailers and tell them they need to conserve water and not fill up the tanks.

That was by far the most challenging part of this event for us. We have a small team and fortunately our team is mostly young guys that will sleep anywhere. But even they wanted out of there as soon as they could. We had 6 guys in a toy hauler and 4 in a Motorhome.

Its one thing to have two guys share a hotel. You cant just put two guys into a trailer. We would have needed 4 trailers. How the heck do you get 4 trailers set up with bedding, towels, etc.. Seems easy when you can just load up your own RV and head to the lake bed. But if you are responsible for 10 guys thats a huge project and expense.

Add that up to all the other stuff that needs to happen to go racing and its just too much. My wife Stacey and I had double the work for this race due to accommodations. Just shopping for the drinks and food was 3 times the normal work. And we will be doing laundry and cleaning our two RV's for a week.

Just FYI when you rent a trailer you still need to deal with linens and lots of stuff. No matter how you look at it its way more complicated than a race next to hotels.

Mike

michael.gonzalez

Reaction
I really think the reason many of the T1 guys didn't show up is the accommodations. Dry camping a large group is really hard. Especially when many if not all of the team are volunteers, Its hard to pack a bunch of people into trailers and tell them they need to conserve water and not fill up the tanks.

That was by far the most challenging part of this event for us. We have a small team and fortunately our team is mostly young guys that will sleep anywhere. But even they wanted out of there as soon as they could. We had 6 guys in a toy hauler and 4 in a Motorhome.

Its one thing to have two guys share a hotel. You cant just put two guys into a trailer. We would have needed 4 trailers. How the heck do you get 4 trailers set up with bedding, towels, etc.. Seems easy when you can just load up your own RV and head to the lake bed. But if you are responsible for 10 guys thats a huge project and expense.

Add that up to all the other stuff that needs to happen to go racing and its just too much. My wife Stacey and I had double the work for this race due to accommodations. Just shopping for the drinks and food was 3 times the normal work. And we will be doing laundry and cleaning our two RV's for a week.

Just FYI when you rent a trailer you still need to deal with linens and lots of stuff. No matter how you look at it its way more complicated than a race next to hotels.

Mike
This is some good perspective that I did not consider. Your POV is appreciated!

Camping is both a pro and a con depending on your situation as a racer/spectator etc.

jon coleman

Reaction
motorhome AND a toyhauler??, w0w, thats luxxx accommodations, & it was just a dood fest?, no wives/girlfriends??, poc, we were told ' got hotel room(s) for the team', ' got a motorhome for Parker',(MeSa racing) I guess racing is tuff without a commffy bed

y2kbaja

Reaction

Mike
This is it right here! Some of the teams owners/drivers have rv's as they have the resources to purchase one. Their volunteers, codrivers, pit crew may not have the resources. I remember Sal Fish saying that if there were not at least (I'm guessing the number) 5,000-hotel rooms within 5 miles of the start finish then don't even bother thinking about putting a race on there.
The Ultra 4 racers are used to this environment as they've been doing it for years this way, wherever they race.

J Prich

Reaction
Its nice to try to distill things down to a simple universal answer that's easy to digest but my guess is the equation is different for every team and a variety of factors are involved. I am of the "build it and they will come" philosophy. Coke, McDonald's etc don't make millions because they get EVERY customer. They just put their product out their, market it, and let the brand speak for itself. I personally feel like trying to somewhat guilt trip/shame the people who don't/didn't come probably isn't the best way to encourage them to come in the future.

Dave has a great event going that a lot of people love. It doesn't have to be for everyone if they don't want it to be.

ONE_RJ

Reaction
Man, I hope accommodations are not the reason why the T1 guys or anyone for that matter don’t come to race KOH.
There are plenty of hotels 30-45 minutes away in 29 Palms -Joshua Tree for those teams members that need to sleep in a hotel room and eat in a restaurant. You can also find air Bnb house around the area.
Some of our best times racing are the times we camp out as a team and family in RV’s, Trailers, tents. Some of our best meals and after race parties are had camping. It’s cost effective when we food shop and cook ourselves while the team gets the last minute things checked , chase trucks packed and ready to go.

MTPyle

Reaction
One_RJ

I agree we love camping in a RV and hanging out. Some of our funnest races have been hanging in the pits in Laughlin.

I just think thats what scares many of the T1 guys away.

That being said I think the Mcmillin's went camping and playing in the desert over the same weekend. So I think for them it was just a focus and resource call. So not saying that all the teams that didn't show up were scared of the camping.

If we are still racing next year we will do KOH for sure. Haha

Mike