2021 SCORE Baja 500 Live Video, Weatherman, Tracking, Updates

DoitforBMoore

Reaction
Also these penalties are never consistent.

J Prich

Reaction
insightful IMO for Score not to provide additional clarity on decisions made. Just posting a stat sheet without explanation leaves a lot of holes in the narrative and when a lot of people are looking at a situation like this, they will fill that narrative with their own speculation. IMO they should have included additional messaging to the plain the infractions and why which penalties were decided.

In fairness to them, they may have perfectly rational explanations for each of these...but if they dont share that people are going to make assumptions.

Fifty

Reaction
There is perceived danger, potential danger and actual real danger.

the TROPHY truck over the empty tent after the owner said “go ahead” was perceived danger. All parties were in agreement and semi coordinated. It looked bad, but wasn’t a danger.

the TROPHY truck making the illegal pass on public roads after being brake checked was potential danger. There was no real threat of injury to anyone, but it was stupid as no one else around was in agreement or coordinated. Looked bad and of a lower danger risk. (Edit: As long as he didn’t hit anyone. I only watched a crap video of it with my kids screaming at me)

the chase trucks, really all three but in exponential amounts for the 2nd then 3rd. These were putting themselves and others in very real, tangible danger where others in both lanes in high fatal danger.
The 3rd truck was lucky the 2nd and first truck caused the local driver to take notice and check up and start slowing. If he hadn’t he would most likely have hit the 3rd truck with no time to evade.

the evasion is proof positive of life and safety threatening. And is rather serious. I’m shocked that on something this blatant and well known, that SCORE has not made a statement about it.

But back to the other two. I’m surprised they were not both DQ or both a 30 minute penalty. I think a 30 minute penalty is more appropriate (to discourage future possible events even if it was a low actual/high perceived danger.)

Tube ride

Reaction

bobylax

Reaction
Why not use the model used by other racing orgs. Let the results stand as scored by the race control (timing, VCP, trackers, etc..) and the apply fines for "actions detrimental to the sport" separately. Monetary(due before or with next entry fee), dock championship points, sit driver or crew member for next race(s) etc....
Don' change or delay results based on spectator videos.
I think the only thing mentioned in your post that might be an actual deterrent is the last part, 1, 2, season or lifetime race suspension, based on the severity of the infraction. Taking an alternate line that puts you nose down in a ditch, (see photo), or rips a front A arm off from a hidden rock, or misses you a check point, ACCEPTABLE bad decision. Missing a “line” and driving through someone’s camp to get back on course because my team will “take care of it”, nerfing a civilians car or passing on a blind curve or in an unsafe manner is justifiable because nobody got hurt, in my opinion, TOTALLY INEXCUSABLE bad decision making!!! Fines may not be much of a deterrent for drivers or team members of big name teams with deep pockets, but could be an unfair imposition on budget or grassroots teams, making them think harder about a bad decision. Suspending a driver, any driver, and his vehicle, from racing in the next race or 2, or more, may amplify the decision process of “is this the right thing to do?” If a chase team or pit crew can be positively identified and proven of egregious decision making that put lives in danger, the same penalty should apply to the driver/vehicle, same as above. This should impress upon the team principals to stress the importance, for the future of their team, for people under their charge to not make “bad decisions”. This probably won’t eliminate horrible decision making, it’s racing, but if it makes drivers or chase crews think twice because of the severity of the punishment, just a short pause before doing something stupid, we might be able to save some people, even those from their own stupidity, from potential death or injury.

Come on people, we’re in a fight for our lives to keep desert racing alive in the States and in Mexico. There are hundreds of videos of what we do from every race, and the whole world is watching!! Let’s be smart.

My days are numbered, but I’d like to know that my kids, and their kids will still be able to participate and enjoy this awesome sport.
DEB6FF55-09ED-4A20-AFF7-A7F6F9D989B7.jpeg

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
Website
www.offroadaction.com
Anyone remember when it took over two weeks for the results to be finalized for the 2012 Baja 1000? I guess we've all become even more impatient these days.

critter81

Reaction
My question on the tents is.... If the course is negotiated to be 75 feet wide then why is SCORE not held accountable for the tents being on the course? Or is the course only 10 feet wide? Can anyone confirm the rules there.... FROM THE RULE BOOK or DRIVERS MEETING?

stephenrjking

Reaction
So, after all this, it's LR.

Well, that was an interesting "48" hours.

Obviously, my comment on this thread expresses my feelings about Luke's action. I like him, I want him to keep racing and winning, and that was a bad choice that could have been much worse and I'm glad it wasn't. I'm fine with the DQ penalty. Andy's pass on the road was aggressive (if there was a nerf, the *nerf* wasn't aggressive but the passing maneuver certainly was, because that's what I would call it if someone passed me like that on a public road). I think SCORE needs to be really consistent about this, but if that's a serious infraction, fine, levy the penalty.

I don't want drivers to do those sorts of things, which means I want there to be solid disciplinary deterrents, which means I favor all of this. Assuming that SCORE continues to try to enforce these rules fairly for all drivers going forward.

I would be interested to hear what differentiates between Luke's DQ and Andy's unsafe pass. I don't know that anyone else has laid out a case as harsh as mine against Luke's action, but is that really what SCORE sees?

I do think the chase truck incident deserves a penalty just as harsh, and I'd be interested to know if the perp has been identified and the team penalized. It is clear to me that penalizing the team for the actions of the chase vehicle is just, since the chase vehicle is trying to get to their pit area for competitive reasons.

Lastly: I'm conscious of the fact that some drivers, including some involved, may see this thread. I'm just a keyboard warrior here, a fan. I enjoy being a fan because of guys like Luke and Andy and the considerable dollars they invest in these fantastic vehicles, and my support for penalties is similar to, say, agreeing with a ref throwing a flag on my favorite player on my favorite football team in a big game. Disappointing, still like them, but I agree with the decision.

I hope keyboard warriors like me don't keep guys like Dan and Andy from saying their piece in a forum like this, even if it's to say that I'm dead wrong and don't understand. For this fan, at least, they're not offending the fanbase by doing that.

me_be_db1

Reaction
My question on the tents is.... If the course is negotiated to be 75 feet wide then why is SCORE not held accountable for the tents being on the course? Or is the course only 10 feet wide? Can anyone confirm the rules there.... FROM THE RULE BOOK or DRIVERS MEETING?
Score "insurance" covers you to 60' off centerline of course. now, you can be 120' from a vcp and still ping it.
Edit; the other end of that other road, maybe 750'-1000' from the tent incident, was fenced off Outbound in the morning.
not sure why that end wasn't.

michael.gonzalez

Reaction
Website
www.facebook.com
There is perceived danger, potential danger and actual real danger.

the TROPHY truck over the empty tent after the owner said “go ahead” was perceived danger. All parties were in agreement and semi coordinated. It looked bad, but wasn’t a danger.

the TROPHY truck making the illegal pass on public roads after being brake checked was potential danger. There was no real threat of injury to anyone, but it was stupid as no one else around was in agreement or coordinated. Looked bad and of a lower danger risk. (Edit: As long as he didn’t hit anyone. I only watched a crap video of it with my kids screaming at me)

the chase trucks, really all three but in exponential amounts for the 2nd then 3rd. These were putting themselves and others in very real, tangible danger where others in both lanes in high fatal danger.
The 3rd truck was lucky the 2nd and first truck caused the local driver to take notice and check up and start slowing. If he hadn’t he would most likely have hit the 3rd truck with no time to evade.

the evasion is proof positive of life and safety threatening. And is rather serious. I’m shocked that on something this blatant and well known, that SCORE has not made a statement about it.

But back to the other two. I’m surprised they were not both DQ or both a 30 minute penalty. I think a 30 minute penalty is more appropriate (to discourage future possible events even if it was a low actual/high perceived danger.)
Very well said and a great distinction between the three main events in discussion.

jon coleman

Reaction
I think the only thing mentioned in your post that might be an actual deterrent is the last part, 1, 2, season or lifetime race suspension, based on the severity of the infraction. Taking an alternate line that puts you nose down in a ditch, (see photo), or rips a front A arm off from a hidden rock, or misses you a check point, ACCEPTABLE bad decision. Missing a “line” and driving through someone’s camp to get back on course because my team will “take care of it”, nerfing a civilians car or passing on a blind curve or in an unsafe manner is justifiable because nobody got hurt, in my opinion, TOTALLY INEXCUSABLE bad decision making!!! Fines may not be much of a deterrent for drivers or team members of big name teams with deep pockets, but could be an unfair imposition on budget or grassroots teams, making them think harder about a bad decision. Suspending a driver, any driver, and his vehicle, from racing in the next race or 2, or more, may amplify the decision process of “is this the right thing to do?” If a chase team or pit crew can be positively identified and proven of egregious decision making that put lives in danger, the same penalty should apply to the driver/vehicle, same as above. This should impress upon the team principals to stress the importance, for the future of their team, for people under their charge to not make “bad decisions”. This probably won’t eliminate horrible decision making, it’s racing, but if it makes drivers or chase crews think twice because of the severity of the punishment, just a short pause before doing something stupid, we might be able to save some people, even those from their own stupidity, from potential death or injury.

Come on people, we’re in a fight for our lives to keep desert racing alive in the States and in Mexico. There are hundreds of videos of what we do from every race, and the whole world is watching!! Let’s be smart.

My days are numbered, but I’d like to know that my kids, and their kids will still be able to participate and enjoy this awesome sport.
View attachment 227333
my BIGGEST FEAR !!this pic gives me the heeby jeebyz, even worse was when i saw a 16 car SIMULAR But Upside down!,in a 'V 'type ditch' driver was out and ok thankfully

J Prich

Reaction
Why are there so many speeding penalties? Are the trackers wrong? Or are that many people speeding?