2021 SCORE Baja 500 Live Video, Weatherman, Tracking, Updates

Zambo

RDC Crypto
The 60 foot rule simply defines how far off the course a racer can get before he becomes subject to penalty for course cutting. It certainly isn't some "clear zone" or whatever where any spectators are fair game to getting hit.

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
I am all for enforcement of rules. It’s really one of the most important parts of a organization like SCORE.

I like that there was a lot of penalties showing that SCORE is taking speeding and rule enforcement seriously. Can’t say that for some others racing orgs.

But the rules need to be clear and objective. What rule did Luke break?

JPrich has been saying this all alone. They need to be clear about what violations took place and communicate.

I have seen lots of racers racing thru camps in Baja, pretty sure I remember RG doing the same thing on video. I almost took out a canopy or two my self done there. Never crossed my mind that I could have been DQ’d if I would have. Where is that rule and how is it enforced?

The more I think about it the worse Luke’s DQ seems. I would be passed if I was Luke or his team.

Mike

fishd00d

What A Joke
RDC Crypto
Website
www.fishgistics.com
The driver of the chase truck was identified 5 min after I posted the video, he has been in contact with myself and SCORE and he is going to make it right. Stay tuned tomorrow to see what i'm talking about.......don't worry he learned his lesson and he's NOT a Baja rookie either......

E motorsports

RDC Crypto
The driver of the chase truck was identified 5 min after I posted the video, he has been in contact with myself and SCORE and he is going to make it right. Stay tuned tomorrow to see what i'm talking about.......don't worry he learned his lesson and he's NOT a Baja rookie either......
Fish
is there a wrap up show scheduled ?

critter81

RDC Crypto
in the tent video an orange snow fence can be seen. the question is was the snow fence official course marking or was it installed by the spectators?
if it was an official course marking then there is no deviation of the course through that area. the general rule of thumb is 60' off center but in some cases no deviation is allowed as in the case of wildlife study areas (WSA). Southern Nevada often has no deviation rules at the demand of the BLM.
if it was official course marking there would also be penalty for the conscious decision to intentionally run over said markings.
Ah ok I get it, yes if the course was marked you need go through this 10 foot wide area only then yes he should be DQ

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
If Racer Services was part of the LR team and supporting them then yes this would be crazy. I feel like the Chase truck move was way way worse than what Luke did. This is why you cant have subjective rules. If you do the most popular guy will always win. Haha

Mike

Curtis Guise

Administrator
RDC Crypto
Website
www.offroadaction.com
I have seen lots of racers racing thru camps in Baja, pretty sure I remember RG doing the same thing on video. I almost took out a canopy or two my self done there. Never crossed my mind that I could have been DQ’d if I would have. Where is that rule and how is it enforced?

Robby replied to someone in our latest IG post (who said both him and BJ have done that) and said where's the photo or video of him driving through a canopy, he doesn't remember doing that.

critter81

RDC Crypto
It doesn't matter what the course width is, it's about safety, and if you aren't going to make safety #1 then stay home, we don't need you getting the rest of us kicked out of Mexico and ending races there.
It does matter what the course width is. that's my whole point... Score and the local governments need to coordinate and let spectators know and racers know what the course width is and enforce the course width both for racers AND spectators. If there is no agreed course width and no enforcement for both racer and spectators then you will continue to have this problem and people will get hurt. I think SCORE and the local governments need to do a better job of setting the expectations so racers can race hard the whole time and spectators are kept at a safe distance...where they can enjoy the show and be safe...I am pretty sure this is not the first time a campsite has been run through because of proximity to the course. There are also plenty of videos of a TT making a slight mistake and getting off course and smashing a spectators car... Check out this years SF250.... I am hoping this DQ of a well known name brings to light the fact that there needs to be some course enforcement on the spectators not just the racers...

And before you all blow me up about "well it's Baja and it can't be done" I think that is BS, because --- Dakar, IOMTT, WRC manage to do it...

TJ_Gambino

RDC Crypto

Exactly what lesson did this NON-ROOKIE learn that he should have already known? Cameras are everywhere? Running traffic off the road is a bad thing? Passing on narrow roads is dangerous?

This topic is discussed at EVERY DRIVERS meeting. Doing things like this puts all racers and their teams under a microscope.
PENALTY for the affiliated race vehicle? YES. Drivers need to be responsible, chase teams need to be as well.

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
Robby replied to someone in our latest IG post (who said both him and BJ have done that) and said where's the photo or video of him driving through a canopy, he doesn't remember doing that.

I do remember RG going thru a camp but maybe I just double remember BJ doing it. But I don't think I would get them confused with each other. LOL

Either way I have never heard of this being a DQ event. Did BJ get DQ'd?

If I was Luke I would not want to back up on course knowing Andy was there. We know going backwards on the course is a DQ event. Now if Luke ran thru the camp without stopping that would be different but still not clear its a DQ. And you cant tell the communication between Luke/Jason and the fans. If they had permission why would that be a problem?

Again not clear that this would be a DQ. I would love to see the wording in the rules that say if you run over a spectator camp with permission you get DQ'd. Was Luke supposed to just stop and get air lifted out of that spot? So dumb. I bet that felt like 10 minutes to him. People do not understand the pace you are operating under in race mode. I bet Luke felt like he waited forever to get permission to drive thru.

Mike

Tube ride

RDC Crypto
Robby had to drive around behind all the campers until he found a hole to squeeze back on course , BJ had a camper move some stuff and kind of give him the go ahead and he took his canopie with him .

stephenrjking

RDC Crypto
It does matter what the course width is. that's my whole point... Score and the local governments need to coordinate and let spectators know and racers know what the course width is and enforce the course width both for racers AND spectators. If there is no agreed course width and no enforcement for both racer and spectators then you will continue to have this problem and people will get hurt. I think SCORE and the local governments need to do a better job of setting the expectations so racers can race hard the whole time and spectators are kept at a safe distance...where they can enjoy the show and be safe...I am pretty sure this is not the first time a campsite has been run through because of proximity to the course. There are also plenty of videos of a TT making a slight mistake and getting off course and smashing a spectators car... Check out this years SF250.... I am hoping this DQ of a well known name brings to light the fact that there needs to be some course enforcement on the spectators not just the racers...

And before you all blow me up about "well it's Baja and it can't be done" I think that is BS, because --- Dakar, IOMTT, WRC manage to do it...
I think you have been misapplying the course width rule.
6-11) COURSE COMPLIANCE - Mandatory Stella III EVO devices will be used to identify course deviations. Washes are open only to the banks on either side and major silt beds are open. Short coursing is not allowed. Do not deviate from the official GPS course. It is essential to race using the official GPS course files and periodically check for any later updates posted on the SCORE website.
REMEMBER… Width of race course is limited to 60 feet (18.288 m) either side of center of course. If you deviate outside these course limits, you are NOT covered by SCORE insurance and you can be penalized!
The context appears to matter a great deal here. The 60 foot rule exists within the context of the course complian proviso that governs course deviations. You know, shortcuts and such. It further references insurance, warning that significant deviations outside of the 60-foot limit are not covered by the race's insurance. It does not say that spectators should not be within 60 feet of the centerline of a course that is laid out over a discrete road, and it would be unreasonable to expect that to be the case. This is simply not a defense.

There are separate regulations that instruct drivers to use caution and to expect the unexpected, which is unsurprising. 6-28 says this: "Race competitors engaging in intentional and/or direct physical contact with a spectator or spectator’s property may incur penalties at the discretion of the Race Director."

A TT making a slight mistake and hitting a spectator vehicle is an entirely different scenario. That's a racing accident, and the vehicle is in an at-risk position. It is clearly not the same thing. Yes, there is some risk being near the race course, but what Luke did was not at speed and he had time to make a different choice and did not.

The key here is that it is true that spectators may do some things that are personally risky. That might need to be mitigated a bit, though there's a limit to how much. But what can definitely be done, and what needs to be done, is to limit the controllable risky behavior of race participants.

Last edited:

Rlovell

RDC Crypto

No dog in the fight here other than as a group we can't afford to burn any more credibility in Baja or will not have a place to race. I'll be interested to see how the driver of the chase truck "makes it right". In my eyes it's too late, the damage has been done and as desert racers we all have a black eye. Further, if he is not a rookie, he should have already know better than to even consider a pass like that, let alone attempt it.

There is always the more sides of the story so I'm trying to reserve judgement, but based on the video all three chase truck driver risked the lives of lots of people, and the future of racing in Baja. How do you make that right?

Goes without saying, but I hope as a small community we all learn from this and return to Baja in a safe and respectful manner..

Chainguide

RDC Crypto
Watch the tent video again. Luke actually runs over two tents. There could have been a baby sleeping in the second one, nobody could have known for sure.

Last edited by a moderator: