2021 SCORE Baja 500 Live Video, Weatherman, Tracking, Updates

Old Truck Guy

Reaction
I don't see why it matters it they are chasing for more than one team, they still represent all the teams they are chasing for, so all teams should be DQ'd. I could see it would be a bummer being short pit support and another team offered to help you out and this happens, but they are now a part of your team.
Why connect the two? I doubt that they were part of the pre race team meetings for most all of their customers. If the son that you raised is charged with statutory rape, should you also be penalized for his actions? They weren't flying the team banner. The gas and tires they were carrying would fit at least half of the trucks out there. We are all appalled at what we saw. Because your idiot brother robbed a bank, does that constitute a search warrant for your house? C'mon now.
I heard the reference to racer services here a few times, so I ASSUME they are involved as I post this comment (Because if they were not, they would be staunchly defending themselves by now).
To penalize all of the teams that contracted said company to ready their rigs for the 500 would be brutally unfair to those teams. Because they paid monies weeks and months back to have their cars professionally prepped for this race should not tie them to the conduct of the chase truck(s) in question. If these allegations are true, the customer base that they have worked hard to build will significantly decrease, dwarfing the cost of any compensation they have already paid out. Penalty served.
What sucks is that the same scenario probably played out many times during this race. Unfortunately, Mrs. Crabbits (gotta be old to get that reference) was in the neighborhood and caught them in the act.
So, are you saying that if you used Baja Pits or a similar race support service and one of their trucks had an error in judgement that your team should become part of the penalty phase for said actions? After all, they transported tires and gas to service your car throughout the race, so you should pay for their mistakes, right?
Think before you post. There are no absolutes here.

Big Whitey

Reaction
Why connect the two? I doubt that they were part of the pre race team meetings for most all of their customers. If the son that you raised is charged with statutory rape, should you also be penalized for his actions? They weren't flying the team banner. The gas and tires they were carrying would fit at least half of the trucks out there. We are all appalled at what we saw. Because your idiot brother robbed a bank, does that constitute a search warrant for your house? C'mon now.
I heard the reference to racer services here a few times, so I ASSUME they are involved as I post this comment (Because if they were not, they would be staunchly defending themselves by now).
To penalize all of the teams that contracted said company to ready their rigs for the 500 would be brutally unfair to those teams. Because they paid monies weeks and months back to have their cars professionally prepped for this race should not tie them to the conduct of the chase truck(s) in question. If these allegations are true, the customer base that they have worked hard to build will significantly decrease, dwarfing the cost of any compensation they have already paid out. Penalty served.
What sucks is that the same scenario probably played out many times during this race. Unfortunately, Mrs. Crabbits (gotta be old to get that reference) was in the neighborhood and caught them in the act.
So, are you saying that if you used Baja Pits or a similar race support service and one of their trucks had an error in judgement that your team should become part of the penalty phase for said actions? After all, they transported tires and gas to service your car throughout the race, so you should pay for their mistakes, right?
Good points I didn’t think of. What would your solution be?

michael.gonzalez

Reaction
Website
www.facebook.com
New Rules for Baja 400:
-Tents and EZ-up style canopies have been restricted to 100' away from the course. EXCEPTION: Cots restricted to only 50' from the course when accompanied by the registered owner.
-30 minute penalty for each use of reverse
-When re-entering the race course from a pit stop, you must allow any racers to pass before slowly and safely pulling back onto the course with a turn indicator/signal.

Old Truck Guy

Reaction
Good points I didn’t think of. What would your solution be?
My observation is that we all have made hasteful passes on a Mexican highway to avoid missing the next pit stop. I never ran a car off the road, but still broke local laws and violated SCORE rules of chase support and conduct.
Funny thing here is that if a Mexican police pulled this guy over for this incident, the chase truck probably could've paid $50 bucks and drove off. No harm, no foul. Never have I thought that the local law enforcement would be a better option.
There is no solution other than discretion. Be smart and respectful. If it is a designated team truck, then the team should absorb the penalty. If it is an entity offering services to a multitude of teams, who's to say which team they were in a hurry to help. I am always uneasy racing in Mexico. I always drove shiny branded chase trucks and got shaken down more than once because of the nice equipment we had. What a shock that the biggest threat this race was the American based company that promoted it.

Robin Hood

Reaction
I think you are reaching a little here to make your point. Score states that you are responsible for your crew. Stationary race support services are differant then chase vehicals roaming the highway. The truck wasn't servicing a fleet of vehicals with the supplies in the truck.

Dave_G

Reaction
And now most will understand why Dave Ashley and Dan Smith quit the sport all together.

Big Whitey

Reaction
Be careful on the 400. I heard that Score will be placing 400 cameras around the course to catch bad behavior.
That’s good news we still have areas to do all of our other malicious activities in between them. I’m kinda hoping they ban cell phone cameras for the race, and no go pro filming. If we get rid of gps courses we can deviate a little less accurately.
Does anyone find it the least bit ironic that not long ago the attitudes at Score were that it is VCP to VCP racing and not a overall designated course. Rules in washes are side to side, No designated course line

Last edited:

BajaFand

Reaction
My observation is that we all have made hasteful passes on a Mexican highway to avoid missing the next pit stop. I never ran a car off the road, but still broke local laws and violated SCORE rules of chase support and conduct.
Funny thing here is that if a Mexican police pulled this guy over for this incident, the chase truck probably could've paid $50 bucks and drove off. No harm, no foul. Never have I thought that the local law enforcement would be a better option.
There is no solution other than discretion. Be smart and respectful. If it is a designated team truck, then the team should absorb the penalty. If it is an entity offering services to a multitude of teams, who's to say which team they were in a hurry to help. I am always uneasy racing in Mexico. I always drove shiny branded chase trucks and got shaken down more than once because of the nice equipment we had. What a shock that the biggest threat this race was the American based company that promoted it.
This is what I’m saying, this type of incident probably happens once or more and almost every Baja race, just not caught on cell phone. Hell, it probably happens at V2R every year. I know it happens just heading to the river on Rice Road on any given holiday weekend. I am saying close calls though, not fully running other cars off the road. A few years ago I was passed on HWY 1 south by a Raptor belonging to a very well known team who’s been around forever, totally unmistakable colors and decals. I was in a well known TT team chase truck just cruising down to our pit. Neither of us needed to be at our pits for hours as the 500 that year was going through the desert first. Still this Raptor felt the need to pass me and the 2 other cars in front of me on the inside of a 90* blind corner just south of Santo Tomas. There was no cars coming the other way and he had no other trucks with him to radio back to him that it was safe. Completely stupid move I was shocked and scared.

For the record I think if you have to pass in Baja it needs to be in a safe area #1. And #2 I actually think a teammate on the radio does make it safer as long as you’re using common sense and not being reckless.

Let’s be real, Theres 2 kinds of chasers in Baja: those that make radio passes, and those that lie about making radio passes.

NIKAL

Reaction
For the record I think if you have to pass in Baja it needs to be in a safe area #1. And #2 I actually think a teammate on the radio does make it safer as long as you’re using common sense and not being reckless.

Let’s be real, Theres 2 kinds of chasers in Baja: those that make radio passes, and those that lie about making radio passes.
Your right making passes and using the radio is the best way, but still doing so in a blind corner is never smart.

But in this case they could not have been using radios to help pass. Score made it clear this vehicle was not related to any race teams,. So he would not know or be on the same channel as the first two trucks. And if he somehow was able to miraculously be on the same channel, then the lead truck needs to be told he’s an idiot, as he should have never cleared the 2nd truck and definitely not the 3rd truck.

Dave_G

Reaction
Okay, so I was with a few TT teams back in those days. You need to elaborate on your claim. By no means am I calling BS, just saying you're going to need to explain.
Dave was real tired of the double standard at SCORE. He even had a nickname for Sal and called him Cheato. He got real burned out over that stuff...

Old Truck Guy

Reaction
I think you are reaching a little here to make your point. Score states that you are responsible for your crew. Stationary race support services are differant then chase vehicals roaming the highway. The truck wasn't servicing a fleet of vehicals with the supplies in the truck.
Well, stationary support vehicles DO have to commute to their destinations.
Anyway, I gave extreme examples to make a point to an extremist that feels that all associated teams should be penalized. The point is that guilt by association requires unbiased scrutiny before taking action. With that, your statement simplifies things in saying, "Score states that you are responsible for your crew". Clear enough. That should be all that needs to be said.
Then, a botched tire change by a pit support service causes the tire to fly off the race truck 1/4 mile later taking out a non spectating local driving down the road. Uh oh, who's at fault now? Probably the one with the deepest pockets, I suppose.
I know, that scenario is nothing similar to what initiated these debates, but still realistically explores ones liability for the actions of others.
Anyway, I couldn't resist the opportunity to throw in a "Mrs. Crabbits" reference to confuse the youngsters After all, she is the quintessential 70's counterpart to today's cell phone/social media fanatics. Good samaritan, or just nosey people? Haha!

y2kbaja

Reaction
I don't see why it matters it they are chasing for more than one team, they still represent all the teams they are chasing for, so all teams should be DQ'd. I could see it would be a bummer being short pit support and another team offered to help you out and this happens, but they are now a part of your team.
what if it’s a Baja Pits truck. Do we dq all Baja Pits racers? No disrespect to BP, only used as an example.

firedog

Reaction
Website
www.facebook.com
blanket.png