2021 SCORE Baja 500 Live Video, Weatherman, Tracking, Updates

Fifty

Reaction
You will all have to excuse me, I have never been to an event outside the US. If this driver was allowed into the pit areas, he had to sign a waiver and which team he was crewing for? I am assuming unless they are part of the bfg "anyone pit" type group.
general rules score.png

Attachments

• pit crew rules 1.png
    pit crew rules 1.png
    153.7 KB · Views: 23

ace_photo

GET SOME
Reaction
Website
www.getsomephoto.com
You will all have to excuse me, I have never been to an event outside the US. If this driver was allowed into the pit areas, he had to sign a waiver and which team he was crewing for? I am assuming unless they are part of the bfg "anyone pit" type group.
View attachment 227669

Those pit area rules were written for SCORE stateside races which we currently do not have.

Fifty

Reaction
Ahh. Sorry, I didn’t see that restriction in the rule book.

ace_photo

GET SOME
Reaction
Website
www.getsomephoto.com
I find it interesting that people are calling for the chase guys head when ALL the teams out there are guilty of this same thing. From big teams to small.

This last 500 was full of idiot chasers all week long. Just with my small crew of photogs, we had no less than three close calls with chasers in the days BEFORE the race. It was so bad I elected not to chase the race like I normally do and photograph only one spot because my gut told me it was a going to be a sketchy AF.

Pre-racing, full speed, both race and chase. This kind of crap is what will kill the sport.

I have covered every Baja race for 22yrs and it was the worst I've seen.

This is not limited to Baja. V2R has been sketch with chasers pushing the timeline as well. Time for everyone to be smart and tighten up their program.

Leave early, plan to be late...

Attachments

• What-About-You-19-B1K-.pdf
    68.2 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

MTPyle

Reaction
I heard the chase truck was working with Cantina. Can anyone confirm this? Its stupid that nobody will admit who he was supporting, This leads me to believe its a coverup, and a good one. The Cantina coverup makes sense as they were supporting LR. If that chase guy had anything to do with LR then SCORE has no choice but to hide it. No way SCORE is going to take the W from LR after that crap show.

Fact is the Luke DQ is crap. I was super bummed to hear Cameron stand up for that call. If we start to DQ guys for what could have been a accident its going to be a mess. Basically the race becomes a PR project and political race. Exactly what SCORE should not be.

I am super bummed about the entire thing. It's so discouraging to see guys like Luke get roasted for something that was nothing. If guys like that can get screwed then guys like me have no chance.

The Cancel culture have officially made it to Baja.

Edit- I just saw Ace photo post after I posted. Let me answer that. Its because guys like Luke got DQ'd for less. When SCORE puts Luke's head on a stake then everyone wants to see any guy that actually screwed up right next to him. I will say just about every race I personally see behavior like the chase guy got caught in. I have done radio passes myself. So its not new. But SCORE is creating a culture of penalize anything.

Mike

Fifty

Reaction
I find it interesting that people are calling for the chase guys head when ALL the teams out there are guilty of this same thing. From big teams too small.

This last 500 was full of idiot chasers all week long. Just with my small crew of photogs, we had no less than three close calls with chasers in the days BEFORE the race. It was so bad I elected not to chase the race like I normally do and photograph only one spot because my gut told me it was a going to be a sketchy AF.

Pre-racing, full speed, both race and chase. This kind of crap is what will kill the sport.

I have covered every Baja race for 22yrs and it was the worst I've seen.

This is not limited to Baja. V2R has been sketch with chasers pushing the timeline as well. Time for everyone to be smart and tighten up their program.

Leave early, plan to be late...
I think the reason people are making a big deal of it, is probably because it’s finally got past the peak of what people are willing to accept. Just like you said...

and to top to that, they feel that the penalties were disproportionate AND they feel the chase incident was being brushed under a rug to protect a team.

transparency is the best way to shut people up. It won’t shut everyone up, but the majority will.

at the end of the day the fans, the teams all want the truth. Then the fans and the teams and possibly the sponsors can choose what to do going forward based upon their own morals and feelings.
If they feel the situation was reasonable... then great.
if they feel it was not reasonable... then they can make a decision on their future with the organization.

notice I said reasonable. Not right.

ace_photo

GET SOME
Reaction
Website
www.getsomephoto.com
I heard the chase truck was working with Cantina. Can anyone confirm this? Its stupid that nobody will admit who he was supporting, This leads me to believe its a coverup, and a good one. The Cantina coverup makes sense as they were supporting LR. If that chase guy had anything to do with LR then SCORE has no choice but to hide it. No way SCORE is going to take the W from LR after that crap show.

Fact is the Luke DQ is crap. I was super bummed to hear Cameron stand up for that call. If we start to DQ guys for what could have been a accident its going to be a mess. Basically the race becomes a PR project and political race. Exactly what SCORE should not be.

I am super bummed about the entire thing. It's so discouraging to see guys like Luke get roasted for something that was nothing. If guys like that can get screwed then guys like me have no chance.

The Cancel culture have officially made it to Baja.

Edit- I just saw Ace photo post after I posted. Let me answer that. Its because guys like Luke got DQ'd for less. When SCORE puts Luke's head on a stake then everyone wants to see any guy that actually screwed up right next to him. I will say just about every race I personally see behavior like the chase guy got caught in. I have done radio passes myself. So its not new. But SCORE is creating a culture of penalize anything.

Mike
From what I understand the chase guy was not chasing anyone particular but checking on clients. The gear in the truck was for a team in Mexicali, that wasn't racing, to be delivered.

But I do understand the point of view.

I've also done the radio pass, but haven't in some time because you never know what's popping out between you and the truck up front. I've seen that scenario and it doesn't end well, ever..

The culture of penalize anything is being asked for. Personally, if I were race director, I would've dropped the hammer and DQ'd them all. Done. Because it was not less.

The only fix for this is to run trackers in everything. Race truck, chase truck, media, anything affiliated with the team. Enforced with a pre-race impound, designated pit areas and time out on hwy sections in conjunction with a speed limit. It will be like Dakar. They had these same problems until they clamped down on all of it.

Last edited:

MTPyle

Reaction
Good points Ace

I guess most of this comes down to poor communication by SCORE which leaves a lot of speculation to be had. I am all for enforcing rules, if any racer or team member violates those rules there should be consequences. They just need to be consistent and fair.

I also agree there should not be any racing on public open highways. Its not fun for the racer to be stuck behind a slow vehicle and lose time because of it. Its just not a good idea. they need checkpoints and no timing for the highway sections.

Mike

ace_photo

GET SOME
Reaction
Website
www.getsomephoto.com
Good points Ace

I guess most of this comes down to poor communication by SCORE which leaves a lot of speculation to be had. I am all for enforcing rules, if any racer or team member violates those rules there should be consequences. They just need to be consistent and fair.

I also agree there should not be any racing on public open highways. Its not fun for the racer to be stuck behind a slow vehicle and lose time because of it. Its just not a good idea. they need checkpoints and no timing for the highway sections.

Mike
Remember when we use to actually openly race on the highways? I do. 120mph, WFO in and out of traffic on highways that were worse than they are now. Bad things.

We've come a long way from that. It's a process, it will change.

y2kbaja

Reaction
In the Fish-show yesterday it was brought up that the #1 DQ was for damaging spectators personal property. #31 was quite upset that the penalties were so severe and different among the top 3 (pre-penalty) finishing order and he has a good point. While it is very unclear in the #31 incident video whether or not he damaged spectators personal property, but if he did shouldn't the same penalty apply?

I'm over the chase truck incident. I look at it this way, if this were a court of law, would there be beyond a reasonable doubt who specifically and individually they were pitting for? And yes, score can ban a crew member from the races...enforcement may be a different story.

ErickK

Reaction
From what I understand the chase guy was not chasing anyone particular but checking on clients. The gear in the truck was for a team in Mexicali, that wasn't racing, to be delivered.

So how can CRB say they didn't know the driver of the truck, that's what's crazy and seems to make this suspect and probably annoying to more people. Why protect the driver, why did teams delete IG pics with that truck in it.. Shady and inconsistent. For a family funded program I thought the 2 penalized drivers on the panel were way too nice. I would have put that F you money to work LOL...

AZ7000'

Reaction
$5-$10k fine when you are running a $100,000k effort for your team and sponsors isn’t much, zero deterrent IMO…. A DQ hurts, even worse if you include the season points and reflection on sponsors listed all over your race car.
A penalty with teeth

J Prich

Reaction
I am not saying this to slander anyone involved, in any way. But strictly from the lens of perception, can you have members of the CRB making penalty decisions about racers who race in the same class?

Again, I’m admittedly unclear about the general nuts and bolts of how the CRB functions.

Old Truck Guy

Reaction
I don’t think that is quite how he said it, it was said any offending chase driver could just claim NO affiliation with any particular team. Not that said driver would lie about being with a different team. His post makes sense.
You're right. My bad. But still, not to claim an affiliation with a specific team will be hard to sell. Everybody knows somebody. Unless you are known to support multiple teams as was the case here, someone will call you out.

I don't know why SCORE just doesn't have an inventory of vinyl letters on hand and hand them out at registration or tech inspection based on the number of chase vehicles you claim to be using. Then just mandate that all support vehicles hauling parts/tires/fuel prominently display the race car # on their chase vehicle. Seems simple enough. SCORE used to do that on US races where pit passes were required to access pits.