2021 SCORE Baja 500 Live Video, Weatherman, Tracking, Updates

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
I don't know why SCORE just doesn't have an inventory of vinyl letters on hand and hand them out at registration or tech inspection based on the number of chase vehicles you claim to be using. Then just mandate that all support vehicles hauling parts/tires/fuel prominently display the race car # on their chase vehicle. Seems simple enough. SCORE used to do that on US races where pit passes were required to access pits.
Besides Start/Finish under current covid restrictions there are no designated pit areas. Trying to enforce this in Baja would be a clusterfudge. It couldn't be done. Besides, it seems the spectators and their cell phones are all we need . You're gonna have to be slick to get away with stuff down there now.

JDDurfey

Reaction
I am not saying this to slander anyone involved, in any way. But strictly from the lens of perception, can you have members of the CRB making penalty decisions about racers who race in the same class?

Again, I’m admittedly unclear about the general nuts and bolts of how the CRB functions.
LR is on the CRB and he recused himself since the decisions that were being made benefitted his position in the results. PAB did not have a "dog in the fight" so I don't think there was an issue with him being part of the decision.

I personally think the DQ was more than what was needed, but no one asked me.

As far as the chase truck incident, I know this happens all the time with chasers in Baja. They drive like idiots, I've driven like an idiot in the past. But something else to think about, the locals drive horribly too. I have seen many head on collisions between local vehicles when they pull the same type of stupid maneuvers. Now, don't get me wrong...I am not excusing the behavior of the chase driver. He made a stupid mistake that nearly cost someone big time.

MTPyle

Reaction
I would be totally fine with having to have all chase trucks display race numbers like we do in BITD and Legacy. If a chase is found to be breaking the law the race vehicle gets a penalty. I am pretty sure if the chase crews knew they could get a penalty they would chill the heck out.

Clearly the CRB needs some diversity since they all voted the same. How was there not one guy there saying wait a minute, we are going to ruin Lukes season over this? Last years TT champion is out of the season points because he ran over an empty tent that he had permission to run over?

Mike

jon coleman

Reaction
Besides Start/Finish under current covid restrictions there are no designated pit areas. Trying to enforce this in Baja would be a clusterfudge. It couldn't be done. Besides, it seems the spectators and their cell phones are all we need . You're gonna have to be slick to get away with stuff down there now.
what ??, you mean teams have been ' getting away with it'??, for how long???

J Prich

Reaction
LR is on the CRB and he recused himself since the decisions that were being made benefitted his position in the results. PAB did not have a "dog in the fight" so I don't think there was an issue with him being part of the decision.

I personally think the DQ was more than what was needed, but no one asked me.

As far as the chase truck incident, I know this happens all the time with chasers in Baja. They drive like idiots, I've driven like an idiot in the past. But something else to think about, the locals drive horribly too. I have seen many head on collisions between local vehicles when they pull the same type of stupid maneuvers. Now, don't get me wrong...I am not excusing the behavior of the chase driver. He made a stupid mistake that nearly cost someone big time.
Yeah that's interesting to me. Nothing against PAB and his integrity, it's not about PAB. In my opinion the whole point of having a CRB is to create a presumably unbiased group of deciders to weigh in to remove the real or perceived bias that could come from having those things come directly from SCORE as an organization. It's already out there frankly, even with the CRB. The idea that the penalties are biased because SCORE likes guy X more than guy y.

But when you put together a CRB and have a member of that board who races in the same class they are reviewing and making decisions about, that IS a dog in the fight in my opinion. That defeats the point of creating an unbiased review board. Again nothing to do with that individual's integrity but it opens the door for people to feel like there was still favoritism etc. Seems like there are enough folks out there to create a CRB that has extra bodies to swap out the members who race in the class being reviewed.

Just my personal opinion.

Fifty

Reaction
I work for transport room and board lol!!! Although I owe a few people some favors!

kyle_pc_75

Reaction
BOR has a CRB at each race. It's been made up of officials and members of race teams in the past, but I don't think there are ever any people who are drivers in that race. We've had members of the race teams have to recuse themselves if their driver was involved in a dispute. If we had the luxury, I'd love for it to be made up of people completely outside BOR but who know desert racing and the rules/penalties. It seems SCORE could make this happen pretty easy with a Zoom call from officials and racers who aren't racing that series but who are still willing to help. Just an idea.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
The CRB is suppose to be made up of racers from several different classes from that race. They are randomly (suppose to be) chosen and assembled after the race is over to hear any filed complaints from racers against other racers. IMO, none of these were racer against racer as far as I can tell, but protests against racers for rules infractions by the promoter. In that case, everything is suppose to be decided by the promoter, but I believe the promoter deferred to the CRB to come up with the penalties. May or may not have been better from the lense perspective.

FWIW, not the first time some of these actors have damaged other people's stuff racing down there. They usually handle the damages ($$$) themselves. This time they got caught. Safety matters, at least now it does. Sometimes you have to kill a hostage to let them know you're serious. That may be what's involved here.

Bricoop

Reaction
Would this be kosher in 2021?

1624498646542.png

Total Loss

Reaction
Chad Knauss stated that the main reason for the loose lugnut penalty is based on a competitive advantage. Tighten 15 lug nuts instead of 20 and your driver gets out a second or two quicker, gaining track position as a result.
What I cant find without a NASCAR rulebook is what constitutes a loose lugnut. Is there a specific torque spec? Hand tight?
Anyone know?
Since the thread has already been hijacked with a twist. (Pun intended)

I understand the reasoning behind the rule...since teams were rolling the safety dice and only tightening 3 or so for awhile.

Fifty

Reaction
I’m friends with a guy who is pit crew for 3 cars. It’s funny I had this conversation A few months ago.
He says the proper lug tightness is “30-100 ft/lbs...what ever the gun gets”

it makes me think thay loose lugs are ones that are glued on the rim and never tightened.

I blocked out his name and pic in case he gets in trouble for commenting on something that is recently a controversy

A91D793E-2FD6-4760-8FE2-3B11A00C5E46.jpeg

Old Truck Guy

Reaction
What I cant find without a NASCAR rulebook is what constitutes a loose lugnut. Is there a specific torque spec? Hand tight?
Anyone know?
Since the thread has already been hijacked with a twist. (Pun intended)

I understand the reasoning behind the rule...since teams were rolling the safety dice and only tightening 3 or so for awhile.
Well, kinda like SCORE, NASCAR offers no clarity to the lug nut rule other than to state that the nuts must be "safe and secure" in the post race inspection. Putting the competitive advantage aside, NASCAR now runs 18" aluminum wheels, where they used to run 15" steel wheels. The lugnut rule coincided with the alloy change. NASCAR says only 3 tight lugs on the aluminum wheels impact the integrity far more than they did on a steel wheel. We all know that NASCAR has always been rampant with malicious cheating, whereas SCORE is dealing more with poor judgement and public safety. Sorry to hijack the thread.

Fifty

Reaction
I like the “love” hearts in your convo!
I’m not smart enough to figure out the thumbs up on Instagram messenger pm thingee. I’m semi allergic to computers

Offspring

Reaction
Well, kinda like SCORE, NASCAR offers no clarity to the lug nut rule other than to state that the nuts must be "safe and secure" in the post race inspection. Putting the competitive advantage aside, NASCAR now runs 18" aluminum wheels, where they used to run 15" steel wheels. The lugnut rule coincided with the alloy change. NASCAR says only 3 tight lugs on the aluminum wheels impact the integrity far more than they did on a steel wheel. We all know that NASCAR has always been rampant with malicious cheating, whereas SCORE is dealing more with poor judgement and public safety. Sorry to hijack the thread.
"now" is actually next years car. Oh, and that's also when they go to one center nut. Still steel, still 15".

class5cole

Reaction
*Will run 18s