2022 Champ Off-Road: Who's racing? - Rumors - Hype

PDANK Racing

RDC Crypto
Website
www.pdankoffroad.com
Does anyone know if the track at Antigo is any different than last year? Or is it just the same/tweaked??
They left the track in since last year, so it should be the same, with some slight tweaks.

stephenrjking

RDC Crypto
They left the track in since last year, so it should be the same, with some slight tweaks.
There's a lot of chatter from the drivers about how they'd like more technical sections on the tracks. This post, for example (whose comments feature several drivers agreeing completely):

It's interesting to see how different classes and groups like different aspects of the track. I get the feeling that the technical stuff isn't great for some of the less juiced sportsman classes, and indeed ERX in particular drives pretty differently going into the Talladega turn depending on class and on however the track is designed in a given race weekend. Seems like the pro guys really like this stuff.

That relates to Antigo insomuch as the second half of the infield was more technical last year and required some precision to navigate, but at the cost that it was nearly impossible to outbrake an opponent at the end of the straight turning back on to the dirt track. The upshot was that the track had some good tricky sections, but the only good passing area was at the end of the back stretch of the oval, which was a difficult turn to get right.

It will be interesting to see how they adjust, if at all.

Advertising supports this site

Jacob D

RDC Crypto
Went out to Dirt City in Lena this past weekend for the UTV races. Impressed with the turn out for both spectators and drivers. Obviously not everyone was there racing, but from what I saw the UTV classes look REALLY balanced coming into Antigo, which should create some great racing the entire COR season.

handmethemic

RDC Crypto
There's a lot of chatter from the drivers about how they'd like more technical sections on the tracks.

This announcer agrees whole-heartedly.

Off-road truck racing has a unique opportunity to have a wiiiide variety of track types. In the midwest, we've got the "outdoor motocross" style tracks figured out (Crandon/Bark River/ERX), but the opportunity for "supercross" style (or stadium/MTEG, if that's your flavor) tracks has gone unrealized. Big-but-still-safe jumps, manufactured (ie. not natural) elevation changes, rhythm sections with multiple rhythm options, and so on would be great additions to a place like Antigo. (I say all that assuming the folks running the place have carte blanche to do whatever they want, which I assume is not actually the case.)

stephenrjking

RDC Crypto
This announcer agrees whole-heartedly.

Off-road truck racing has a unique opportunity to have a wiiiide variety of track types. In the midwest, we've got the "outdoor motocross" style tracks figured out (Crandon/Bark River/ERX), but the opportunity for "supercross" style (or stadium/MTEG, if that's your flavor) tracks has gone unrealized. Big-but-still-safe jumps, manufactured (ie. not natural) elevation changes, rhythm sections with multiple rhythm options, and so on would be great additions to a place like Antigo. (I say all that assuming the folks running the place have carte blanche to do whatever they want, which I assume is not actually the case.)
MTEG stadium racing is what got me into the sport (and then back into it many years later) in the first place.

The Pro trucks are just far too powerful for actual stadium stuff, but stadium-like stuff should absolutely be on the table. Lena, as an example, has the right footprint for it. And these tracks with tighter footprints really should load up on technical stuff, since they're not designed for the dramatic sweeping stuff one gets at Crandon Turn One and don't need to be.

stephenrjking

RDC Crypto
Preliminary Antigo roster is up. Subject to some change of course.

Pro-4 has 11 entries. Keegan Kincaid is not on that list; Cole Mamer is, as expected, and so is the less expected RJ Anderson. Great news.

Pro-2 has 16 entries right now. Pretty consistent roster; has main competitors, plus Doug Mittag, who should compete for wins. I count 8 guys in the division who have either won Pro-2 races in the last two years or have shown that they are serious challengers to do so (a category specifically designed to include Cory Winner, who is unlucky not to have a win). Should be another dramatic season. We're a few years on from the rule change and it has been a towering success. I flipped to an old TORC video of a Pro-2 race at Sturgis from back when I first started following the series and the Pro-2 field was shockingly thin--this is a whole new world.

I'm really perplexed by Pro-Lite. The division looked like it was on its way out, many complaints about it, they started a new division with a lower cost horizon... and there are over 20 Pro Lite entries for *Antigo*. Pro Lite spec actually has a real field, four trucks, none of which are Ryan Beat. The most notable name there appears to be Gray Leadbetter.

No CJ Greaves in the SxS entries. Either they're entering late, or not racing classes where they can't race the Turbo R? Just guessing. Andrew Carlson isn't entered either (both he and the Greaves are on the Pro-4 list) and he was promoting Polaris in combination with the season as of a week ago (along with what appears to be a season-long Red Bull livery for the truck) so these may just be late entries coming.

Pro Stock looks like it's Brock Heger's to lose unless CJ has something for him; Pro Turbo is exceptionally wide open, and to me there's no telling who will emerge there.

None of the sportsman classes have fewer than 10 entries and most have at least 15-20. I have no idea where they're going to put all of these trailers... but that's not really my problem.

It's remarkable to me how much people will complain about everything. Saw it on IG occasionally, even a bit here... sure, things aren't perfect, but chances are good that when we're all older, *this* is the time we're going to look back to as the "good old days." Great racing, huge fields, solid tracks, a loyal fanbase. Yeah, there's still stuff to work on: you can't name a sports institution that doesn't have that. But things are doing well, and the key is to keep that balanced and growing. This is worlds better than Late Torc.

Looks set to be a great year.

handmethemic

RDC Crypto
No CJ Greaves in the SxS entries.

He told me he'd be in Pro Stock and part-timing in Pro Turbo.

Pro Stock looks like it's Brock Heger's to lose

No driver can be that dominant two years in a row, right?*

*I am often wrong
things aren't perfect, but chances are good that when we're all older, *this* is the time we're going to look back to as the "good old days."

I've been trying to tell y'all this since last year...

afortune46

RDC Crypto
Carlson is running the full season in a turbo R

The other big-ish news that isn't really being mentioned is running the PRO R polaris with the superbuggies. The focus is on superbuggies but with polaris developing a 2.0L engine and the superbuggies engine package being obsolete ... theres some writing on the wall as to what maybe the future powerplant or even alternative for superbuggy.

Mandating data logging on the pro r is going to give us some real world comparison to what the pro turbo class is and see if in fact we can integrate them into the class.

Jacob D

RDC Crypto
Carlson is running the full season in a turbo R

The other big-ish news that isn't really being mentioned is running the PRO R polaris with the superbuggies.
So does that mean he won’t be running in the Pro Turbo class?

Jacob D

RDC Crypto
Hope nobody has a problem with me posting this on here, but my brother has a COR fan account on Instagram and will be posting videos from the stands throughout the years at the Wisconsin locations, and maybe Bark River as well.
He’s going to be posting something new this year that I haven’t seen in short course racing, Pro Power Rankings. Preseason rankings coming out days prior to the Antigo Off-Road National

Last edited:

handmethemic

RDC Crypto
SxS standout Gray Leadbetter is racing Pro Spec this year:

1654029767691.png

handmethemic

RDC Crypto
New COR Pod dropping tomorrow featuring Ryan Beat and Joe Maciosek. Lots in there, but of note: Beat will not be participating in the Yokohama Duel of Champions on Friday night in Antigo.

ZappaOMatic

RDC Crypto
Likely just referring to him returning to Wisconsin to run IndyCar at Road America. Would be cool if he genuinely decided to try his hand at off-road again though, especially as he showed interest in an Instagram Story Q&A last September.

(I'm just saying, IndyCar is off the weekend of the Potawatomi Brush Run...)

Attachments

• 98290858-50BE-4784-BB24-14D75DDD0BFD.jpeg
    98290858-50BE-4784-BB24-14D75DDD0BFD.jpeg
    72.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: