News 2022 SCORE San Felipe 250 Live Video, Weatherman, Tracking, Updates

SanoDano

RDC Crypto
Am I right in assuming that for penalties , missing a VCP is 10 min penalty per VCP, and speeding is basically a time penalty of whatever time was gained while speeding?
From SCORE Bulletin .............
SPEED ZONE PENALTIES are assessed for exceeding the speed limit in any zone indicated on the GPS files and included in Course Notes. Zones, speeds and data points are listed below. If you are speeding in controlled speed zones you will receive time penalties. Not good!!
SCORE Stella III EVO devices collect approximately 20 data points per mile or one every 3 seconds to determine speed violations in controlled speed zones. A penalty will be assessed for each data point that exceeds designated MPH speed limit for each speed zone.

➔ Time Penalty is 9 seconds for each mile per hour over Speed Zone Limit at each data point. For example: Maintaining the maximum speed of 60 mph you will travel 1 mile in 1 minute.
● If you travel 61 mph for one mile with 20 Data Points x 9 seconds per DP, you will receive a 180 second penalty and your average speed for that mile will be 20 mph.
● If you travel 62 mph for one mile, your average speed with a 360 second penalty will be 10 mph

Correct, the penalty for missing a VCP is 10 min.

J Prich

RDC Crypto
From SCORE Bulletin .............
SPEED ZONE PENALTIES are assessed for exceeding the speed limit in any zone indicated on the GPS files and included in Course Notes. Zones, speeds and data points are listed below. If you are speeding in controlled speed zones you will receive time penalties. Not good!!
SCORE Stella III EVO devices collect approximately 20 data points per mile or one every 3 seconds to determine speed violations in controlled speed zones. A penalty will be assessed for each data point that exceeds designated MPH speed limit for each speed zone.

➔ Time Penalty is 9 seconds for each mile per hour over Speed Zone Limit at each data point. For example: Maintaining the maximum speed of 60 mph you will travel 1 mile in 1 minute.
● If you travel 61 mph for one mile with 20 Data Points x 9 seconds per DP, you will receive a 180 second penalty and your average speed for that mile will be 20 mph.
● If you travel 62 mph for one mile, your average speed with a 360 second penalty will be 10 mph

Correct, the penalty for missing a VCP is 10 min.
Awesome, thanks for sharing that. Appreciate it!

Advertising supports this site

ProfessionalPitMan

RDC Crypto
Not the point I was making, at all. Luke won, deservedly so.

The point being Jax’s pace is as good as the fastest guys in the sport. Like @Baja Bryan previously said and took some flack for it. Not to mention Jax was in an unfamiliar truck in only his 3rd season running TTs. That’s impressive.

Glad he’s getting a chance to prove himself in the Mason.
Jax surprised me. I think Luke was definitely being a little careful with Bryce needing to pass him, but Jax (and let's be honest, Walser too) had a great run!! They will be fun to watch as a team the rest of the year.

Old Truck Guy

RDC Crypto
Yeah it was totally the trucks fault. Haha you have no idea what you are talking about.

Trust me if you prep a brand new Herbst on a budget with people that have no idea what they are doing and out of time in a scramble you get the same results.

It’s not the trucks fault. So your comment shows how little you understand what is happening. I could buy a mason and prep it like poop and still DNF. Would you say buy a new truck? Clueless.

Mike
Clueless indeed.
The fact that a guy can perform basic mechanical tasks like brake jobs or half shaft replacements on their daily commuter HAS NO BEARING ON THEIR ABILITY TO WRENCH ON A STATE OF THE ART RACE CAR OR TRUCK.
It's my guess that after buying the truck, the constant purchase of high wear components to maintain it, gas/food/lodging for the chase crew, pre running costs, shop/storage space yada yada yada, that MTPyle doesnt have an extra 10 or 15 grand laying around to pay for professional race prep services. Hence, the "have no idea" group of guys that work on his car for free while Mike throws down some carne asada on the grille with Corona chasers in an effort to show his appreciation for all the "help" they provide.
Unlike top mechanics, racing "enthusiasts" are learning things as they go. They will use that 150,000 psi tensile bolt on an exhaust flange thinking if it holds a shock on, it surely can keep the exhaust pipes together, OR, use a control arm pivot bolt twice without a clue on the reduction of clamping force that a used bolt will have compared to new using the exact same torque value. Or even have a clue that Loctite is a friction modifier and torque values should be adjusted accordingly. Or perhaps they tie a fuel line close to an oil line unaware of the surprise they just manufactured for race day. Here's a good one, handles then torques a grade F911 or whatever fastener with his "carne asada" fingers , only to yield it as a result, causing it to fail FAR before its time.
The top race trucks today are engineered, and require people with comparable knowledge to wrench on them.
I can't even pretend to know the challenges Mike faces as a privateer campaigning a SPEC TRUCK of all things with minimum sponsorship dollars. Hope the kids are ok with a community college! Haha!

Mike, It sounds like you could benefit greatly by having some of the "to win" series of how to publications at arms reach (engineer to win, tune to win, prep to win, build to win). Carroll Smith is one heck of an engineer and shares so many relevant facts about race car design and prep. Knowledge is power. There is no substitute for it. I read every one of his books and many others as well before building my first race car. I applied as much crossover technology from road to dirt as one could. Geometries that are common place in todays cars, but were not even considered in the desert cars of old.The result was an overall victory in the very first race for the very first race car I ever designed and built.

Whatever you decide to do, at least this endeavor allows you to stay connected with your kids, and that alone is worth a handfull of DNF's. Race on my friend.

JDDurfey

RDC Crypto
My point is it’s not the trucks fault and if you do a crap job in prep with any truck you DNF.

No we did not show up thinking we had a poorly prepped truck. We for sure scrambled and worked our Butts off. We thought we were ready. Clearly we were not.

We drove the truck back from RM 90 to town. We technically could have finished the race but just was not worth it. If we were running the series we would have finished. But to finish would have cost a lot in tires, fuel, and prep.

Mike
I know I gave you guys some crap about not finishing. But anyone who has raced very much has had a DNF. We DNFed a Baja 500 one year due to a spark plug failure. Go figure! I was watching the tracker when Connor was stopped at RM 36 hoping he would get going again.

Since you didn't destroy the truck finishing the race, I would suggest you guys go test and test and test some more. Then prep it for the next race with plenty of time so you are not rushed. I wish you guys all the best and hope you figure it out. But there is repetition in your story almost every race... you are rushed, very rushed, in your prep. The same thing happened at KOH. I know all teams are prepping up until the last moment, but it seems like a broken record for you guys. You prep until the last minute, run to Barstow and test hoping you don't break something a couple of days before the race.

I know most teams do a test session on their prepped truck shortly before the races. That makes sense, but usually they give themselves a few days, if not a week to correct any issues that arise.

I wish you guys all the best and hope you can get it dialed in.

GBRACER

RDC Crypto
mike.
Time to evaluate what you guys are doing seems like a lot of changing and mistakes spending boat loads of money, I don't know what the issue is but it plays like a broken record always something, not hating but you are wasting time and money seems like you like doing things the hard way,

Honda48X

RDC Crypto
When you look at the top three Trophy Trucks and the finishing times, I wonder how much time was waisted changing drivers from Mike Walser to Jaxs. They had a great run and just might have pulled it off if Jax had been in the truck the whole time. Nothing against Mike but I think Jax is a little faster. Mike had a good starting position but I think Jax would have been in the top 5 in qualifying and that might have made a difference in the race also.

B.HAGLE

Solutions
RDC Crypto
When you look at the top three Trophy Trucks and the finishing times, I wonder how much time was waisted changing drivers from Mike Walser to Jaxs. They had a great run and just might have pulled it off if Jax had been in the truck the whole time. Nothing against Mike but I think Jax is a little faster. Mike had a good starting position but I think Jax would have been in the top 5 in qualifying and that might have made a difference in the race also.
Good meeting you out there !

We also lost a little time with a sloppy pit stop. ME and the bro have way to much fun doing this as a team so we are going to have to figure out how to make these changes a little quicker.

Pre running was super important. We got basically one lap and hammered a lot of main lines, there was time to make up out there but we didn't know where to go get it.

4th for us in C10. Closer than normal to the long haired mad man out front which we are stoked on. Right where we should be for sure but we need to pre run properly next run, implement the notes in our file instead of by memory, and have better pits and we might just battle for another W.

MAN I LOVE SF250. Course was bad ass!

joshmx88

RDC Crypto
I think the 250 is a toss up for most teams with more than driver, its on that bubble of length for needing or wanting two drivers but the pace is so fast at the top in most classes that driver change eats a lot of time.

fishd00d

What A Joke
RDC Crypto
Website
www.fishgistics.com
I think the 250 is a toss up for most teams with more than driver, its on that bubble of length for needing or wanting two drivers but the pace is so fast at the top in most classes that driver change eats a lot of time.
Personally I would not change drivers for San Felipe, the amount of time lost could be a win or loss easily IMO

bobby

RDC Crypto
Seriously! You’re going to need some people on the ground with play-by-play skills. I know this industry hates “ball sports” but I think it’s time off road announcers start studying their play by play and color guys. This sport is finally on the precipice of something special.

Edit: you=fishjistics
Off Road Racing has been special since the 50's

Goober

RDC Crypto
I think Walser was faster than Jax. He was even going into the driver change. Jax getting a flat was most likely the difference.

Last edited:

Honda48X

RDC Crypto
What happened to Quinn? Didn’t realize he was still racing.
Someone on the radio contacted weatherman requesting a helicopter and said that it was Quinn Cody and that he had a possible collapsed lung. Anybody with any info to share?