• Forum membership has its advantages....

20XX SCORE BAJA ASIA

DRZ_Motorsports_119

RN posted that he is doing course reconnaissance in China for the SCORE Baja Asia, I imagine this will be a exhibition race for the to Asian markets. More information is on SCORE FB.

What are you thoughts?

Baja Jim

Roger, ran the "Dakar" style rally race last year in Class 1 and said it was amazing. From what I heard the Chinese government or major sponsors would cover american racers cost to get equipment and crew there. You would need to qualify for the event. The Chinese government is pushing hard for this.

That's what Roger told me last year when he got back.

BajaFand

Roger, ran the "Dakar" style rally race last year in Class 1 and said it was amazing. From what I heard the Chinese government or major sponsors would cover american racers cost to get equipment and crew there. You would need to qualify for the event. The Chinese government is pushing hard for this.

Are teams expected to be without race cars and support equipment for the 4 months of shipping time back and forth when there is surely going to be SCORE races before and after?

J Prich

Neat opportunity but in a way I feel like this is a bit like opening a second store to your business when maybe the first one isn't running quite as smoothly as it should. I'm not trying to be a "hater", just the outside looking in...seems like there is a lot going on with the SCORE Baja Mexico races that still needs some attention and I wonder how much time, focus, and energy the Asia adventure is taking away from that.

Great for business I'm sure...but for racing, I dunno.

El Mamito USMC

ohh yeah im down to ship my ATV if they pay for everything..LOL

Baja Bryan

From my facebook. Sounds cool to bring more racers..

Bryan Hanson If China Or Score covers transportation cost that could be interesting.

Score International That is the plan for one event per year. Champions of the US would be sponsored to compete in China and vice versa.

J Prich

From my facebook. Sounds cool to bring more racers..

Bryan Hanson If China Or Score covers transportation cost that could be interesting.

Score International That is the plan for one event per year. Champions of the US would be sponsored to compete in China and vice versa.
I would think the transit time would be tricky. Depending on when the race is held it seems like the top teams schedules are already pretty tight between races, prep, etc. If it's going to take presumably a few weeks in transit alone...that could be dicey for teams unless they've got a second vehicle specifically for this kind of race.

JDDurfey

I agree, I don't see how most teams could do it unless they bring in a couple of C7 or Antonov cargo planes. But the cost of doing that would be outrageous.

J Prich

I agree, I don't see how most teams could do it unless they bring in a couple of C7 or Antonov cargo planes. But the cost of doing that would be outrageous.
By boat it's gotta be weeks each way I'd think.

NIKAL

Are teams expected to be without race cars and support equipment for the 4 months of shipping time back and forth when there is surely going to be SCORE races before and after?
I deal with oversees manufacturing and both Air & Ocean transport. From China or Hong Kong the actual Ocean transit time to Long Beach is approx 2 1/2 weeks with another week for the ships to be unloaded and the containers to be Customs cleared, X-rayed if flagged, and then will have to delivered to a bond warehouse where the containers can be unloaded and picked up, or sorted & reloaded for delivery to your final destination. Depending on my consolidations I calculate 3/12 to 4 weeks for total ship dates.

Sheaco

Got Translators? I Do & He doesn't eat much, but His Dad does.

ACME

Shipping from China is one thing: Shipping to China quite another...

Back in the day I shipped a number of custom Arlen Ness bikes and a few other motorsports related items and it was a challenge. But that was years ago and a number of international motorsports events now take place there so I would imagine the process has become less archaic. Since Then we have shipped a few vehicular items not tied to an event and the customs process was very interesting.

I'm sure SCORE will be on the ball o_O on this and have a competent broker set up. The last containers we shipped to Yantian (Southern China) a few months back were over 4 weeks including customs and China was the original point of origin for the goods. However we did not choose a "Fast Boat".

M.Tornel Jr

Any of u guys have a ball park figure of what the shipping cost would be like for one car? There and back

La Tijereta

Why worry about shipping it back?...

Build a competitive car, take it over there and race it... then sell it to a rich Chinese busine$$man.. Problem solved..

Back to racing in Baja...

You Mad Bro

I'm assuming only the Big Money Guys (Trophy Trucks & Class 1) will be racing this event, I can't imagine the smaller limited classes traveling 8,000 miles across the sea to race in China.