• Forum membership has its advantages....

21st Century/Farmers insurance

MXShea

MX know-it-all
This insurance company has put us through a total nightmare.
My fiancee was backing into our driveway when a kid down the street wasn't looking and drove right into her as she was in reverse and already half way into our driveway. She had to go pick up my step daughter and he lives at the end of our dead end street so she told him we would exchange info later on. He disappeared for 4 days and we finally tracked him down at his home and he gave us insurance paperwork. We called them and they said he was not covered at the time of the accident. We then turned to Farmers to pay the claim and go after him for uninsured motorist. They said "the accident was your fault and the other party DOES have insurance". We insisted they come out and investigate since they thought it was her fault from the photos we submitted to them. Then they said OK you're covered under uninsured motorist, go ahead and get an estimate. We did that and then they wanted a $1000 deductible on a $960 estimate to fix the damage! When we asked why there is a deductible for uninsured motorist they said "no this was your fault and that's your deductible". Well, this vehicle doesn't have collision on the policy!
We finally get them to admit it was other drivers fault and now they are saying that she doesn't have uninsured motorist coverage (which is mandatory in CA unless you specifically decline it, in writing).
They closed her case. The car was hit over 2 months ago and she still has a hole in the bumper. She immediately canceled her policy with them and went to State Farm with me.
The CA dept. of insurance is now going after them to get it handled.

I've never heard of such a hassle from an insurance company. Beware!

JPBart

CA DOI scares the crap out of insurance people. If there is the slightest chance they can get in trouble they will cave.

Wendell #527

I made the same mistake of leaving an accident once. Granted they gave you grief other than just that. In my case this chick---she was even a elementary school teacher---slammed into me 100% her fault. I did $5000 worth of damage to her car and didn't hurt my Jeep at all. It's a rock crawler type Jeep with 38.50 Boggers on it and she just bounced off the tires. She gets out and says sorry, all her fault and I let her go on her way as there was no damage to mine. Big mistake. CHP calls a half hour later (from the chick's house) and they meet me at the accident scene and her story had changed. Now it was my fault and she changed her whole story. CHP female officer takes her side for some unknown reason as it was my word against hers. My insurance (Farmers) refuses to fight for me and just pays for her repairs. I learned never NEVER let them leave the scene until you get pictures and have them sign something saying what happened. Story is less likely to change that way. If I had left my Jeep where it was and took a pic I would have won.

Mark Newhan

You can't trust anyone in this "take no responsibility for your actions" country we've turned into. A similar deal happened to my step daughter on campus. Do not let anyone leave the scene, period!

Bro_Gill

You can't trust anyone in this "take no responsibility for your actions" country we've turned into. A similar deal happened to my step daughter on campus. Do not let anyone leave the scene, period!
Most insurance companies today would rather just 50/50 any accident to prevent any type of court from happening due to high legal costs. I was stopped at a stop light and got rear ended. Insurance companies just said turn it into your own company, we'll fix our guy, you have your's fix you. BOGUS! I went to my insurance company and said forget it, I withdrew my claim and went solely after his company. Once that happened, they caved and covered my damages. This has now happened twice. They don't want to fight for you, it costs them too much money, but the deal is, if you will admit or accept a 50/50 cause, they will ding your record (regardless of what the DMV says) and raise your insurance rates. Fight it, It takes some effort on your part, but history shows they will collect whatever they pay through your increased rates.

cusico

Most insurance companies today would rather just 50/50 any accident to prevent any type of court from happening due to high legal costs. I was stopped at a stop light and got rear ended. Insurance companies just said turn it into your own company, we'll fix our guy, you have your's fix you. BOGUS! I went to my insurance company and said forget it, I withdrew my claim and went solely after his company. Once that happened, they caved and covered my damages. This has now happened twice. They don't want to fight for you, it costs them too much money, but the deal is, if you will admit or accept a 50/50 cause, they will ding your record (regardless of what the DMV says) and raise your insurance rates. Fight it, It takes some effort on your part, but history shows they will collect whatever they pay through your increased rates.
The "legal" cost are not that high. Every insurance company has an in house team of legal staff. It is a set rate for them, no "legal fees". Just like anything, the value out the case, and go from there. If a drunk driver they insure hits someone that had to have surgery, they pay no questions asked. A driver rear ends you, and you have soft tissue damage, no surgery, they will drag it out for 12 months, always. The girls in the office forward the letters to the legal counsel, and then the girls respond to your attorney, and it cost them nothing, as it is part of the premium we all pay to the insurance companies.

The in house legal program is a hard cost that is already paid for. It is not like they are paying $700 an hour for litigation fees from Jones Day or Skadden.

M_Solms

The Go Pro from your race car in your daily driver makes a good witness too when it's he said she said.

Bro_Gill

The "legal" cost are not that high. Every insurance company has an in house team of legal staff. It is a set rate for them, no "legal fees". Just like anything, the value out the case, and go from there. If a drunk driver they insure hits someone that had to have surgery, they pay no questions asked. A driver rear ends you, and you have soft tissue damage, no surgery, they will drag it out for 12 months, always. The girls in the office forward the letters to the legal counsel, and then the girls respond to your attorney, and it cost them nothing, as it is part of the premium we all pay to the insurance companies.

The in house legal program is a hard cost that is already paid for. It is not like they are paying $700 an hour for litigation fees from Jones Day or Skadden.
When I refer to costs, I guess I shouldn't say legal, even though thta is how it is accounted for, it is simply time, period. The more time they have to spend on any claim is lost money to them. If I pursue a case into court, they hvae alegal team to represent me, but , in cases of less than 5 figures, they consider it a money loser to spend legal council time on these. It is cheaper to check a box that says 50/50 than to even wrangle with the other guys insurance. To me it is legal representation, to them it is just time spent they don't want to spend. I have Farmers. My agent doesn't represent me in any cases, but she has to listen to my gripes about how any claim is being handled. She gets nothing more for th etime I use during her business day. In her case, that is time she could be out drumming up new accounts, so it is a loss to her over nothing she has control over. The way I look at it, I pay the premiums, so they work for me. The way they look at it, I give them money they hope they get to keep forever and I never put in a claim. They do everything they can to limit the amount of work required to satisfy anything I may want as any work by them (their employees) cuts into their profits in the end. They really aren't selling a product, they are selling a bet.

MXShea

MX know-it-all
You're right. Insurance is just that, a gamble.

Well it happened again! Driving to work the other morning and this lady pulls out across traffic and turns left into the back of me. We pull over, I ask if she's OK, she says yes and how she's sorry. I start asking for her info and realize that she is both drunk and can't speak english (or is pretending to not be able to). So, she refuses to give me any info and just says "no no it's ok" gets in her car and puts her seatbelt on. I take quick pics from my phone of license plate and damage to her vehicle before she flees the scene.
Call 911, request a CHP, sit and wait for 15 mins for him, an hour later done with police report and State Farm says don't drive your car. Days done.
State Farm puts me in a rental at their cost until they contacted hit and run driver who admitted fault and was insured. Her ins. now took over and is taking care of everything.
On the police report she's in big trouble for both fleeing the scene of an accident without exchanging info and not yielding to traffic.

Always stay and do everything the right way! And if it doesn't feel like your insurance company is working for you, let them know and switch or threaten to.

Dave_G

If a drunk driver they insure hits someone that had to have surgery, they pay no questions asked.
Hmmm...I would advise reading your insurance policy very carefully. If a driver is at fault and is found to be DUI, most policies void any coverage involving criminal acts. If your insurance company pays claims for damage caused by your DUI driving I would be worshiping the ground they walk on... ;)

Vtr_Racing

An insurance company not wanting to pay!!!! We have a number of insurance folk in our midst....Suprised none of them have sent a PM to you or added some info..... In my expierience with them, its about a 50/50 split and you have to push it to get them to pay. It seems to me that insurance has raised the cost of just about everything we do...... Insurance and Lawyers go hand in hand.....

Farmers in particular, we dropped them. They were very difficult to deal with....The agent was great but his company was not.....plus they were way more expensive for what we wanted. It was a decision based on customer service then price but I could handle paying a few more bucks if I knew I could count on them.

OldStroppeTeam

ALL insurance company claims folks are cut from the same mold. They BULLY you until you push back, just like in junior high school. Once you push back, they appear to be more "helpful" ?!? HAH

Alex Paterson

You guys don't have to buy insurance and you can self insure. Post a bond with DMV, the amounts depend on the location, and away you go.
Insurance companies deal with fraud every single day and this is why they can be hard to deal with. The rates are driven by the insured’s and the claims made. I have read on RDC and DR many times about how someone has filed a claim with their insurance carrier and made off like a king.

I am bias, I sell insurance but I also believe in it. You have one major claim without it and you will regret it. Every company will have good and bad stories about them. Out of the hundreds of claims that have gone through my agency I have lost a couple of clients over how the loss was handled but I have kept the majority of them because they were happy with the process.

Yes, you may have to verify the value in your vehicle. The people who work and run the claims departments are trained on just your basic value automobile and they are also trained to offer the amount that any particular vehicle is worth based on its condition, age and mileage. If you feel they are coming in low then prove them wrong and you may find you will get more for your loss. It is the insurance company’s job to replace your vehicle at a value similar to the same vehicle in the same condition in your area. You cannot compare a cheery red Vette with 5800 miles sitting on the Auto Trader in New York with an asking price of $58000 to the one you own in southern Nevada that has 58,000 miles on it.

Look at it this way. If you were asked to hand over a large sum of money you would want to verify the amount is correct. Also, I feel that insurance companies have had to react to the demands of lawsuits and in the end it’s the lawyers but without people making frivolous lawsuits the lawyers would not have anything to sue over.

Alex

Klaus

Administrator
I never involve my own insurance on accidents where the other party is at fault and they are insured. So far no problems on 2 cases over the last 10 years or so. If its my fault I fork out cash despite being insured if its less then .5-1k or so. Worked once, the guy drove of 200 bucks richer and never looked at my license plate or anything. I use my insurances for emergencies not the small stuff and give others the same option.

Bro_Gill

Klaus, you are doing it right. I also have had 2 accidents in the last few years and had the other parties insurance company pay me for the fixes. Why should I turn it into my insurance? In the second case, the other parties insurance balked, sent someone to look at my truck, and tried to say the accident didn't happen the way we originally reported it. He was wrong and the damage proved it. They tried to say turn it into my own insurance and call it 50/50. No way, wasn't my fault, why should I give my insurance any reason to raise my rates? I know given the opportunity, they will. It is how they do business. I asked my insurance company whether they would fight for me and they said no, the costs are too high to go to court over. It is cheaper to just hang it 50/50 and recoup the costs off increased premiums for 3 years with the point. They are there primarily to make money, customers are secondary to that.

I have crappy liability insurance only using The General (yes the funny TV commercials) because they had the best rate with a few tickets I had...anyways I got rear ended about 6 months ago and it was totally the person behind fault because I was already at a stop when they hit me. Their insurance (State Farm) tried to tell my insurance it was a 50/50 deal and my insurance told them to f off and they weren't paying crap since it was not 50/50. After they came out and took pics of the damage (minimal) they didnt ask any other questions and the person who hit me ended up having their insurance pay it 100%. I guess it just depends but I was surprised my crappy insurance company actually stood up and made them provide proof it was my fault (which they couldnt do).

Dave_G

Why should I turn it into my insurance?
Because, if you read your policy carefully it says you are required to notify them of your involvement in an accident regardless if it's your fault or not. There is a good legal reason for this that most people don't understand.

Let's say you get into a minor accident and it's your fault and you just pay the guy some cash and you don't notify your insurance company. Six months later the guy decides to see if he can win the lottery and serves you with a law suit for payment of Chiropractor medical expenses, vehicle damages, pain and suffering etc. Your insurance company will most likely deny your claim due to your disregard of the terms of the policy by not notifying them of the initial accident. Believe me, it's the insurance companies job to not pay anything out if they can help it and they will look for every loop hole to justify it. I've seen this happen to a friend of mine some years back. This woman came back at him numerous months after a minor accident when he thought all was all good by handling it without his insurance company. That mistake cost him $5K when it was all over.

Moral of the story:
Always comply to the conditions of your insurance policy because you never know who will bite you square in the a** big time down the road.