22r questions

gary

Reaction
after playing with 2 different electric fuel pumps to work with my cell, i ended up back with the stock mechanical one...it works fine...but here's the problem...i messed with the timing and carb/idle settings a bit to try to make up for differences in pumps....
when cold, the engine makes an interesting popping noise (kinda sounds like a WRC car) when the engine has revved up, and is dropping in rpms...especially if left in 2nd gear, revved to say 3000rpm, then letting off the gas while in gear...
this only happens when it's cold, as it goes away as soon as it's warmed up (choke related?)
any ideas?
and....while i'm at it, since i don't have a stock hood, what is the timing supposed to be on a 22r (carbed) engine?...my chilton's says refer to hood for the #...i dont have it anymore...
and, would that be with or without vac lines on the distributor? differing opinions on that...

thanks in advance

cleartoy

Reaction
On my old 85, i had to richen the fuel mix to avoid popping out the exhaust on deacceleration. Thats funny cuz some people say the popping is unburned fuel(which would make what i said ass backwards).

My sticker said 0 degrees with the vaccum lines disconnected and plugged. I believe the lines at the distributor were to be plugged as well.

94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

gary

Reaction
thanks...does seem weird, to richen....but i've never messed with the mixture so far...turns out it was just the fast idle screw i was playing with....anyone else???

YotaWhoopRunner

Reaction
yep the timing is supposed to be at 0 for the 85+ carbed motors. Unless you removed the cap, I doubt that you have been messing with the mixture screw. But if you have been messing with it, I believe that the manual says to screw it all the way in, and then turn it back 2.5 to 3 turns as a starting point.

curt

Reaction
When turning it in be gentle, don't ram it home you can do damage to the needle and seat, use gentle 2 fingers pressure on the screwdriver...Usually on any motor a good starting point is 2-3 turns. Curt

VORRA Class 7

mxjeremy

Reaction
When I had my 87 toy 4x4 w/ 22r & stock carb I liked 7 degrees advanced the best. Make sure to plug the vacuum advance tubes before you set the timing. I used golf tees & then kept them in my case w/ the timing light. Also, when you get your truck smogged, set the timing back to 0 degrees. They only allow a few degrees off of stock (0) or they won't test your truck at all. You will notice if advance it too much because the truck will start to bog off the line.
late.